GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 09:49
naiveteblg wrote:
mbs17 wrote:
I remember reading an interview with a dean of admissions where they were asked about background checks and they said that there are at most 1 or 2 people each year that have their offer rescinded because of background checks, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Also, if you are really confident that everything in your applications and resume is 100% verifiably true I would be even less worried. Don't let it ruin any of your plans, it seems like a real formality. I think it is meant to just to make sure nothing really serious slips by. Like a Matthew Martoma situation, the Stanford GSB grad who was expelled from Harvard Law School for forging his transcripts and in prison right now on a 9-year sentence for insider trading. He almost certainly lied on his application saying he never had been subject to a disciplinary proceeding. Now it was an extremely embarrassing situation for Stanford GSB, who subsequently rescinded his MBA. Background checks have sprouted up in MBA admissions to try to avoid those types of situations.

Very true, but even though I have nothing to hide, I don't want to resign before everything is 100% final. Paranoid? Maybe, but what can I do... :roll:

mbs17 - thanks for the insight. Similarly to naiveteblg I am eternally paranoid.

I remember winning a half marathon in my home town and worrying that when they announced the winner in the newspaper that they would forget that I came in first and completely overlook me. It is a stupid mindstate if you let it overcome you but being paranoid helps in certain situations - like being very detailed.

In this situation I am wondering (stupidly) “What if my boss decides he is pissed at me for not staying 1 month longer and decides to talk bad about me when Kroll/ReVera ask if he meant what he said in my rec letter?!?! “ These doomsday scenarios keep playing in my head.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 12:07
I understand and completely identify with your desire to not take any unnecessary risks. But honestly, a recommender changing his mind on you and bad-mouthing you on the background check will not get your offer rescinded. Now finding out that he never actually wrote that recommendation but you wrote it yourself and snuck into his email after work at night to submit it. If he really wanted to screw you he could make up a lie like that and say he never wrote it. But I doubt anyone could ever get that mad at an ex-employee to do that, especially an employee he originally agreed to write a reco for.

AckmanConquer wrote:
I remember winning a half marathon in my home town and worrying that when they announced the winner in the newspaper that they would forget that I came in first and completely overlook me. It is a stupid mindstate if you let it overcome you but being paranoid helps in certain situations - like being very detailed.

In this situation I am wondering (stupidly) “What if my boss decides he is pissed at me for not staying 1 month longer and decides to talk bad about me when Kroll/ReVera ask if he meant what he said in my rec letter?!?! “ These doomsday scenarios keep playing in my head.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 14:06
mbs17 wrote:
I understand and completely identify with your desire to not take any unnecessary risks. But honestly, a recommender changing his mind on you and bad-mouthing you on the background check will not get your offer rescinded. Now finding out that he never actually wrote that recommendation but you wrote it yourself and snuck into his email after work at night to submit it. If he really wanted to screw you he could make up a lie like that and say he never wrote it. But I doubt anyone could ever get that mad at an ex-employee to do that, especially an employee he originally agreed to write a reco for.

AckmanConquer wrote:

That's actually pretty comforting to hear. The worry stems from the fact that my boss along with HR offered me double my normal pay to stay on an extra month. We just lost 2 team members a few weeks back. As much as I want to help out I had to refuse. Taking a break between work and school is important to me. She is now a little stand offish and I feel like if she was ever inclined to be disingenuous on the call to HireRight than she would be most likely to do it now especially if I am gone. But if I am still here she would be less inclined to do so. Either way I know that this is just my nervous talking and that I truly am just being a worry wart.

Didn't write my own rec so I don't have to worry about that. And don't think she'd ever go that far to lie and say I did.

BTW - On a brighter note, in preparing for business school I have realized how many clothes I need. The last few years all I purchased were business clothes. I didn't realize how long its been since I purchased nice normal causal clothes. Im basically gross and boring. Glad to be able to get out again.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 01:19
has anyone gotten email from the school re verification process? it seems the deadline for initiating it has come pretty close (5/15) yet nothing from the school came to my inbox. i'm not even sure whether everyone has the same deadline for this labor.. if anyone has any updates on this, could you kindly share your experience or the school's response?
Intern
Intern
NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 12:23
Pumap wrote:
has anyone gotten email from the school re verification process? it seems the deadline for initiating it has come pretty close (5/15) yet nothing from the school came to my inbox. i'm not even sure whether everyone has the same deadline for this labor.. if anyone has any updates on this, could you kindly share your experience or the school's response?

I contacted the admissions office last week. They said to expect an email in the coming week. I am guessing it will be this week.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 16:11
Pumap wrote:
has anyone gotten email from the school re verification process?
Yes, it was sent out today.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 00:16
Hey there - I am an international student coming over in August. Does anyone have an idea of what are the things I must have with me before coming to Stern?

Also, is there any way to know which books are used in the first year. I have read in many blogs that books are very expensive over there and I would be better off purchasing the low price edition from India.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 08:19
Hey guys!
Last week I began the verification process. All I had to do was sign a release form and pay $45. I also had to create a login password.
Nowhere did they ask for a contact number to my employers or for a way to contact my recommenders. Am I missing something? Did I forget to fill out one of the sheets? Or will Re Vera find their own way of getting in touch with my employers?

Also - why did I have to create a login if there is no website for me to log into?
I can't find a place for me to login.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!   [#permalink] 10 May 2015, 08:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 88 posts ] 

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: MsInvBanker