GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2015, 17:03
Questions to those who are going to Stern Preview:
1. The dress code is business casual. Does this apply to the optional events (student clubs on Fri and night out with current students on Sat) as well?
2. Do you know if they give out any materials at the events on Sat and Sun, i.e. do we need to carry bags/briefs with us?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2015, 17:36
Also can't decide if I should go to 1 Oak or for a coffee hour. Thoughts??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 09:35
holadmi wrote:
Questions to those who are going to Stern Preview:
1. The dress code is business casual. Does this apply to the optional events (student clubs on Fri and night out with current students on Sat) as well?
2. Do you know if they give out any materials at the events on Sat and Sun, i.e. do we need to carry bags/briefs with us?

Not sure about the Friday events - it is probably best to go as business casual rather than dressed down - and I do not think that you would need to go too formal. As for the night out on Saturday - the admitted students website says that there is an 'Evening Reception' at 6, then the night out starts at 8:30 and so I am thinking that you will not have time to change before the night out and thus, you will be going business casual.

Good question for number 2, they probably will be giving some materials out and so I may carry a small bag or document holder with me as it may become tough to carry some of the materials - when I was visiting schools prior to applying at one event they handed out so much stuff and I did not have a bag and It was a bit uncomfortable trying to shake hands, hold a drink, and take notes all the while holding a bunch of materials.

"Never, Never, Never give in."

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

From 2 dings to multiple admits (use Paul Bodine):
http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 17:52
What are you talking about? Are we supposed to know what you are referring to here?

holadmi wrote:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 18:48
PeterHAllen wrote:
Good question for number 2, they probably will be giving some materials out and so I may carry a small bag or document holder with me as it may become tough to carry some of the materials - when I was visiting schools prior to applying at one event they handed out so much stuff and I did not have a bag and It was a bit uncomfortable trying to shake hands, hold a drink, and take notes all the while holding a bunch of materials.

Thanks for your thoughts. Was hoping to avoid carrying around bag as it can get easily lost during the night parties :roll:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 18:49
mbs17 wrote:
What are you talking about? Are we supposed to know what you are referring to here?

holadmi wrote:

Yes - if you're an admit going to Stern Preview. If you aren't, this post isn't for you ;)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 16:06
Ok, I am going to Preview but I haven't gotten that email. Thanks for the explanation, I will follow up to get all the info!

holadmi wrote:
mbs17 wrote:

holadmi wrote:

Yes - if you're an admit going to Stern Preview. If you aren't, this post isn't for you ;)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Schools: Stern '17 (M)
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 06:46
holadmi wrote:
mbs17 wrote:

holadmi wrote:

Hey - it depends what you like -
1OAK is a solid venue in NYC that's typically pretty tough to get into. The venue won't be packed when we first get there, so you can connect with people. However, it get's very crowded around 12-1.
If night clubs are not your thing, coffee hour would be better.
OR you could do both as you need to redeem ticket by 11, albeit missing the happy hour at 1OAK from 8:30-9:30 (essentially eating the $25 ticket fee).

I'll be heading to 1OAK and skipping the coffee hour.
and a 1OAK headline from this morning...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 38294.html
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.12
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 12:46
Stern vs. Ross: Guys i'm having a tough time deciding between these two schools I got accepted into. Would love your thoughts on why you're choosing Stern.

About Me: Tech Consulting Background in Web Development
Goal: PM role in Artificial Intelligence (no prior experience in AI) followed by startup in AI 3-4 year later

Why Ross: I attended the admitted student event and was blown away by how much everyone raves about the strength of the Michigan network. I experienced this myself when I raised a concern about tech recruiting during coat-check and was talking to two MBA2s by lunch who were currently going through tech recruiting

Why Stern: NYC's tech scene is more vibrant than Ann Arbor and I'd be able to easily conduct informational interviews with those in the AI field. NYU also seems to have more brand recognition in tech with those that I've spoken to (not sure how to validate).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. See you guys at Preview!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 16:56
How do I find the facebook group for admitted students? simple search is not proving effective
Stern Thread Master
NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 19:36
magse7en wrote:
How do I find the facebook group for admitted students? simple search is not proving effective

You can get there from the Admitted Students site.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 23:49
Hey Guys!

I know somewhere in this thread , somebody answered the following question :

Can one apply for Summer Start or is it only through an invite ?

But there is still some prevailing confusion.

At one place the website clearly says, it is through invite only. At another place, I even read the requirements of the write-up that I needed to send ( some 2 page write up with details that I dont remember now) before May 1st.

I have strong reasons to join the Summer-Start program. So would appreciate a quick response, in case you guys are aware.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 13:04
magse7en wrote:

Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542869012614363/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 13:07
amsterdamguy wrote:
Hey Guys!

I know somewhere in this thread , somebody answered the following question :

Can one apply for Summer Start or is it only through an invite ?

But there is still some prevailing confusion.

At one place the website clearly says, it is through invite only. At another place, I even read the requirements of the write-up that I needed to send ( some 2 page write up with details that I dont remember now) before May 1st.

I have strong reasons to join the Summer-Start program. So would appreciate a quick response, in case you guys are aware.

Cheers,

From the Admitted Students Website....

Applying to Summer Start
Summer Start is an innovative program to help students begin realizing their leadership potential while getting a head start on their course work. The program was launched in response to input from current students and MBA applicants who asked for formal summer programming and in response to corporate recruiters who continue to seek recruits with well-developed soft skills.

MBA Admissions selects a small group of students whose communication skills and leadership potential are key strengths and who would benefit from an early start. Some have been out of school longer than the average student. Others have proven career track records, but in less traditional professions. Others will benefit from extra academic programming prior to the fall. What the students have in common is a demonstrated capacity for and commitment to leadership and a passion for Stern.

Students admitted to begin Stern in Fall 2015 may apply for a limited number of spaces in Summer Start. Selection is based on program capacity, motivation for leadership and the potential to benefit from an early start.

Beginning Monday, July 6, Summer Start classes and required programming will take place 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (additional activities will be scheduled on some weekday evenings). This year's program will run from Monday, July 6 through Wednesday, August 12.

All Summer Start students take the Statistics & Data Analysis course as part of their summer program and may not waive this core course.

To apply to Summer Start, please submit an essay to admchair@stern.nyu.edu that states why you would benefit from the program (two page maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font). Include your full name and NYU student number (N number) on your essay.

The deadline to submit your essay is May 1, 2015. You must have submitted your fall enrollment deposit in order to apply for Summer Start. You will be notified of the decision via email by June 2.

Admission to the Summer Start program is at the sole discretion of the Admissions Committee on a space-available basis. Applying to the program does not guarantee admission.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 11:29
Did anyone start the verification process yet? I'm still waiting for an email from Stern regarding this. I want to resign already :D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 14:47
naiveteblg wrote:
Did anyone start the verification process yet? I'm still waiting for an email from Stern regarding this. I want to resign already :D

I haven't seen anything yet
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 15:57
epranav wrote:
naiveteblg wrote:

I haven't seen anything yet

I haven't seen anything either. I am starting to get very annoyed by this. Spring started in March. It is now almost May and I did not want to resign work until the check was over.

As it is - once the process begins it could take a month.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 17:18
AckmanConquer wrote:
As it is - once the process begins it could take a month.
For real?! Oh my. Here go my summer travel plans...
Intern
Intern
NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 18:02
I remember reading an interview with a dean of admissions where they were asked about background checks and they said that there are at most 1 or 2 people each year that have their offer rescinded because of background checks, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Also, if you are really confident that everything in your applications and resume is 100% verifiably true I would be even less worried. Don't let it ruin any of your plans, it seems like a real formality. I think it is meant to just to make sure nothing really serious slips by. Like a Matthew Martoma situation, the Stanford GSB grad who was expelled from Harvard Law School for forging his transcripts and in prison right now on a 9-year sentence for insider trading. He almost certainly lied on his application saying he never had been subject to a disciplinary proceeding. Now it was an extremely embarrassing situation for Stanford GSB, who subsequently rescinded his MBA. Background checks have sprouted up in MBA admissions to try to avoid those types of situations.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 07:12
mbs17 wrote:
I remember reading an interview with a dean of admissions where they were asked about background checks and they said that there are at most 1 or 2 people each year that have their offer rescinded because of background checks, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Also, if you are really confident that everything in your applications and resume is 100% verifiably true I would be even less worried. Don't let it ruin any of your plans, it seems like a real formality. I think it is meant to just to make sure nothing really serious slips by. Like a Matthew Martoma situation, the Stanford GSB grad who was expelled from Harvard Law School for forging his transcripts and in prison right now on a 9-year sentence for insider trading. He almost certainly lied on his application saying he never had been subject to a disciplinary proceeding. Now it was an extremely embarrassing situation for Stanford GSB, who subsequently rescinded his MBA. Background checks have sprouted up in MBA admissions to try to avoid those types of situations.

Very true, but even though I have nothing to hide, I don't want to resign before everything is 100% final. Paranoid? Maybe, but what can I do... :roll:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2015, 07:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 89 posts ] 

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: gmatexam439

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap