GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V37
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 15:19
Devon wrote:
JackSparr0w wrote:
Where do people plan on living? The Village?

Great question! I have no idea yet. Figured I'd start thinking about that after meeting people at Preview.

I'm also planning on living in East Village, if it won't break my loan bank. Also, has anyone gotten a sense for how many students will be attending in the Fall? I'm part of the Facebook group and there's only about 100 people on there. There's about 50 here, and while I'm sure many people have not joined either site, it just seems much lower than the typical Stern year of around 400 students.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 09:56
cutientl wrote:
Devon wrote:
JackSparr0w wrote:
Where do people plan on living? The Village?

Great question! I have no idea yet. Figured I'd start thinking about that after meeting people at Preview.

I'm also planning on living in East Village, if it won't break my loan bank. Also, has anyone gotten a sense for how many students will be attending in the Fall? I'm part of the Facebook group and there's only about 100 people on there. There's about 50 here, and while I'm sure many people have not joined either site, it just seems much lower than the typical Stern year of around 400 students.

I think you will see numbers step up significantly once the R2 notifications are out for most schools by the end of next week. People will have all the information at hand and start making decisions! Having a Stern shirt already, certainly doesn't hurt ;-)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 10:00
Hey guys, I was excited to receive my admit letter today and to join the discussion here! I am also planning on attending the admit weekend April 11 and meeting any of you who attend as well.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 15:14
Anyone know how the Teaching Fellow tuition assistance works (besides what's listed on the website)?
Stern Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 15:35
Has anyone started the verification process?
Stern Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 15:38
iliketurtles99 wrote:
Anyone know how the Teaching Fellow tuition assistance works (besides what's listed on the website)?

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/portal-partner ... stantships

You have to complete at least 9 credits, so you'll have the entire first semester to figure out how it works and if you want to do it in your 2nd semester :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 18:59
jadon wrote:
Has anyone started the verification process?

Where can I start the process? I was told that I would receive an email with instructions, I did not receive that email yet, did you?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 21:54
Just received my admit today! Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the admit weekend in April since I'm all the way in China. Is anyone looking into on-campus dormitory housing? I know spaces are super tight so what are the chances of actually getting those?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V37

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 15:21
For the people who live in NYC, any tips for finding housing? I'll be at the Preview weekend in 2 weeks, and would love to get set up with a place for the fall during this trip so that I don't have to fly back again in July.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 21:30
cutientl wrote:
For the people who live in NYC, any tips for finding housing? I'll be at the Preview weekend in 2 weeks, and would love to get set up with a place for the fall during this trip so that I don't have to fly back again in July.

Check out sites like www.streeteasy.com - this is one of the main sites used for apartment search in the city.

"Never, Never, Never give in."

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

From 2 dings to multiple admits (use Paul Bodine):
http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 21:32
Hey All - Any of you interested in McKinsey? Check out this unique scholarship/mentoring opportunity open to Stern MBA's admitted to the Class of 2017:
http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_ca ... g_scholars

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 12:29
PeterHAllen wrote:
Hey All - Any of you interested in McKinsey? Check out this unique scholarship/mentoring opportunity open to Stern MBA's admitted to the Class of 2017

What's the point? There are barely any Sternies at McKinsey, especially in NYC. This firm clearly prefers Columbia, Wharton, HBS and other Top 10 B-school graduates.
IBM, Deloitte and other second-tier consulting firms are much more realistic targets. Btw, Deloitte offers a decent immersion program in July.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 14:46
For those who didn't get scholarships, did you try to negotiate one with admissions? I didn't receive scholarship money either but have an offer from another school that I'm thinking of leveraging.

Also, is it really that challenging for Stern grads to land at McKinsey? They showed up pretty strong on the most recent career report but I might have remembered incorrectly.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q162 V170
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 14:54
wishingpraying wrote:
For those who didn't get scholarships, did you try to negotiate one with admissions? I didn't receive scholarship money either but have an offer from another school that I'm thinking of leveraging.

Also, is it really that challenging for Stern grads to land at McKinsey? They showed up pretty strong on the most recent career report but I might have remembered incorrectly.

It's definitely not impossible to go McKinsey from Stern. It is a core school for them, so they will recruit there every year. Will they take as many as they do from CBS? No. But they will always take people. I wanna say I saw a report with ~14 from Stern in one year, but totally blanking on where I dug that up right now.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 15:44
hopefullzzz wrote:
PeterHAllen wrote:
Hey All - Any of you interested in McKinsey? Check out this unique scholarship/mentoring opportunity open to Stern MBA's admitted to the Class of 2017

What's the point? There are barely any Sternies at McKinsey, especially in NYC. This firm clearly prefers Columbia, Wharton, HBS and other Top 10 B-school graduates.
IBM, Deloitte and other second-tier consulting firms are much more realistic targets. Btw, Deloitte offers a decent immersion program in July.

If I had that mindstate with my low gpa I wouldn't have gotten into any top b-school because I never would have tried.

A quick search for Stern and McKinsey on LinkedIn turns up 221 results - barely? I don't doubt that McKinsey may have more spots for grads from Columbia, Wharton or HBS - frankly I have no idea how they structure their recruitment-- but whats the point in having a defeatist attitude?

From 510 to 770:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q162 V170
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 16:15
PeterHAllen wrote:
hopefullzzz wrote:
PeterHAllen wrote:

If I had that mindstate with my low gpa I wouldn't have gotten into any top b-school because I never would have tried.

A quick search for Stern and McKinsey on LinkedIn turns up 221 results - barely? I don't doubt that McKinsey may have more spots for grads from Columbia, Wharton or HBS - frankly I have no idea how they structure their recruitment-- but whats the point in having a defeatist attitude?

Very well said.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 17:43
PeterHAllen wrote:
hopefullzzz wrote:
PeterHAllen wrote:

If you exclude everyone who went to NYU for undergrad and did their MBAs at the very top schools, as well as people who had pre-MBA consulting experience, office assistants and HR employees, you'll see that there are barely any Sternies at McKinsey in NYC. That said, I'm not pessimistic, I just know what the odds are. Congrats on getting accepted to Stern, Tepper and Johnson, but if you were rejected by CBS (and any other top schools you applied to), why do you think you'll get to McKinsey? No offense, but don't be overly confident and be open to the idea of second- and third-tier consulting firms - they recruit a lot from Stern.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 20:11
hopefullzzz wrote:
If you exclude everyone who went to NYU for undergrad and did their MBAs at the very top schools, as well as people who had pre-MBA consulting experience, office assistants and HR employees, you'll see that there are barely any Sternies at McKinsey in NYC. That said, I'm not pessimistic, I just know what the odds are. Congrats on getting accepted to Stern, Tepper and Johnson, but if you were rejected by CBS (and any other top schools you applied to), why do you think you'll get to McKinsey? No offense, but don't be overly confident and be open to the idea of second- and third-tier consulting firms - they recruit a lot from Stern.

You have a good point, McKinsey is one of the most elite management consulting firms and among the most desirable MBA employers in any industry. Anyone looking to get into top consulting firms should aim high but also cast a wide net - competition will be tough when aiming for the best. No one is arguing with you there.

But dude, when you say things like If you exclude everyone who went to NYU for undergrad and did their MBAs at the very top schools, as well as people who had pre-MBA consulting experience, office assistants and HR employees, you'll see that there are barely any Sternies at McKinsey in NYC. you have to provide backup. Where are you getting these "facts" from? Did you actually go through those 221 LinkedIn profiles and determine that the majority of these people fit the criteria you posted about? Your two posts on gmatclub are on this thread alone! You seem like a troll to me.

You said Congrats on getting accepted to Stern, Tepper and Johnson, but if you were rejected by CBS (and any other top schools you applied to), why do you think you'll get to McKinsey? No offense, but don't be overly confident and be open to the idea of second- and third-tier consulting firms - they recruit a lot from Stern.

Thank you! I received acceptances from three more schools, CBS was the highest US News Ranked school I applied to and the only ding. Where did you apply and where are you attending?

I don't think I will get into McKinsey, in fact I do not even plan on trying as consulting is not the field I am targeting, I wish to stay in finance. I was just trying to help other Sternies out. But I do not think that my ding at CBS signifies that my chances (if I took them) are nil at McKinsey.

No offense taken, your argument was to weak to be considered offense - and I disagree with you on the confidence thing, I think it is important to maintain a high level of confidence in these fields - there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.

Here is another link to McKinsey's website for NYU Stern students outlining their previous recruiting schedules at the school:
http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_ca ... YU_-_Stern

Weird -- for a company that 'barley' recruits anyone from Stern they go far out of their way to make it seem like they do. Even creating a special page for this school. (sarcasm intended)

From 510 to 770:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.61

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 20:38
PeterHAllen wrote:
hopefullzzz wrote:

You have a good point, McKinsey is one of the most elite management consulting firms and among the most desirable MBA employers in any industry. Anyone looking to get into top consulting firms should aim high but also cast a wide net - competition will be tough when aiming for the best. No one is arguing with you there.

But dude, when you say things like If you exclude everyone who went to NYU for undergrad and did their MBAs at the very top schools, as well as people who had pre-MBA consulting experience, office assistants and HR employees, you'll see that there are barely any Sternies at McKinsey in NYC. you have to provide backup. Where are you getting these "facts" from? Did you actually go through those 221 LinkedIn profiles and determine that the majority of these people fit the criteria you posted about? Your two posts on gmatclub are on this thread alone! You seem like a troll to me.

You said Congrats on getting accepted to Stern, Tepper and Johnson, but if you were rejected by CBS (and any other top schools you applied to), why do you think you'll get to McKinsey? No offense, but don't be overly confident and be open to the idea of second- and third-tier consulting firms - they recruit a lot from Stern.

Thank you! I received acceptances from three more schools, CBS was the highest US News Ranked school I applied to and the only ding. Where did you apply and where are you attending?

I don't think I will get into McKinsey, in fact I do not even plan on trying as consulting is not the field I am targeting, I wish to stay in finance. I was just trying to help other Sternies out. But I do not think that my ding at CBS signifies that my chances (if I took them) are nil at McKinsey.

No offense taken, your argument was to weak to be considered offense - and I disagree with you on the confidence thing, I think it is important to maintain a high level of confidence in these fields - there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.

Here is another link to McKinsey's website for NYU Stern students outlining their previous recruiting schedules at the school:
http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/your_ca ... YU_-_Stern

Weird -- for a company that 'barley' recruits anyone from Stern they go far out of their way to make it seem like they do. Even creating a special page for this school. (sarcasm intended)

Sorry to jump in the middle of this. But if helps, I work in a top consulting firm right now, and know people who left my first to go to Stern and are now at McKinsey. Also, with all the research I have done so far, I would kill to get off the waitlist and get into Stern.

I do believe that saying Stern is not good enough for McKinsey is a bold statement. Stern may not have a high # of students going to McKinsey, but the #s are not far off either
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 12:58
wishingpraying wrote:

I let the admissions team know that I had a substantial scholarship offer (over 50% of tuition) from a similarly ranked school and they did not budge. They reiterated that all scholarship offers are given at the time of admission, and are final.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2015, 12:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 88 posts ] 

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: gmatexam439

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap