GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 23:16
New York University : The Leonard N. Stern School of Business

Congratulations to all Admitted Students

Roll Call

*Note:- If you are admitted but can't find your username in the list above, make sure you have updated your GMAT Club profile status or PM me.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 07:22
Anyone in delhi?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2015, 12:22
arjunkumar wrote:
Anyone in delhi?

NYC

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

From 2 dings to multiple admits (use Paul Bodine):
http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2015, 09:24
Has anyone received their admissions packet yet? Still waiting on mine and hoping a scholarship will come with it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 08:35
bml1105 wrote:
Has anyone received their admissions packet yet? Still waiting on mine and hoping a scholarship will come with it.

Yep. No scholarship for me. :(

Got mine a few days after the email.
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 14:39
I just got mine on Saturday. No scholarship for me either. My only hope is a Consortium scholarship. How many days until March?!?!?!?

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 16:22
Same :(
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 13:54
Anyone fully committing to Stern yet?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V37

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 14:05
kobe88 wrote:

If anyone has or plans to commit, I'd love to hear why they chose Stern. I'm debating between Stern, Tepper, and Anderson. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 17:45
cutientl wrote:
kobe88 wrote:

If anyone has or plans to commit, I'd love to hear why they chose Stern. I'm debating between Stern, Tepper, and Anderson. Thanks!

I have fully committed to Stern. I had to chose between multiple schools: Duke, Cornell, Tepper, Darden, Yale, Georgetown, Emory and (of course) Stern.
It came down to Duke, Yale and Stern. Ultimately, Stern won out.

There are a countless amount of reasons why Stern was my choice. However, three large reasons, and reasons that may help you in your decision, are the 1. Tight Knit Student Body 2. Ridiculously strong connection to alumni/NYC location etc. and 3. Fantastic course offerings with world renown professors.

1. Tight Knit Student Body

I had the opportunity to visit the school on multiple occasions and each time the feeling I got from the students, watching them interact, hearing them plan their Thursday night, etc was a very warm welcoming one. I felt that the students really enjoyed each other and all of it was amplified by the fact that they are in a very entertaining city. I heard many negative things about city schools especially NYU and how its a 'commuter school' but I don't think they are necessarily true. Additionally, I plan to work in NYC afterwards and feel that the network I will build here - with many students also planning on staying in the city - will be stronger than one in which we all disperse throughout the US. I am much more likely to continue a relationship with someone if we live in the same city afterwards.

2. Ridiculously strong connection to alumni/NYC location etc.
Some people say that since NYU is in the city that you are almost expected to network non-stop and that it can get taxing, whereas, at Duke you only have to network with alums on Wednesdays (or one or two days a week when there is a recruiting event). However, isn't networking the point? I think that having the choice and opportunity to network daily is phenomenal. If I am too tired to go to a networking event on a Friday than I can just go to the next one on Monday - not like I missed out on one of the two networking events that week - get my drift? On one of my class visits (I don't know if this was planned) but a CFO of a top entertainment company just happened to walk into the classroom. The teacher seemed like it was unexpected. The CFO spoke for about 10 minutes then left. The students - and I - loved it. You wont get this spontaneity in many other places.

3. Fantastic course offerings with world renown professors.
If you research the programs and their course offerings I am sure you will find NYU's as one of the best. Due to its strong undergrad business program and strong part-time program their is a vast amount of different types of courses. I found that at Duke you will get classes called 'investment banking' and at NYU you not only get that course but you get 'investment banking tax strategies for VC firms. ' The detail of the classes is bound to set you apart from other MBA's or at least put you on the right path.

And the professors are amazing: Edward Altman, Aswath Damodaran, Peter Drucker, Robert Engle, Nouriel Roubini etc.

I blurted out this response because I do not feel like taking the time to edit it - so I am sure it is loaded with biases and also assumptions and loopholes. But in the end NYU stood out for me - perhaps for subconscious emotional reasons. I am sure tons of great things could be said about Duke and Yale etc that would crush NYU but in my opinion/personal situation NYU won.

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 18:27
Right now I'm still debating between Kellogg and NYU, with NYU being my second choice, unless the Consortium throws me some good money.

I agree with everything PeterHAllen said. Not to be too repetitive, but the student body is so friendly and very tight nit, which is something I like. When I visited campus, students randomly started up conversations with me, which was nice when you are the awkward person waiting outside for your interview. Also, they easily offer the best range of courses I've seen from a school. Looking at their class list, I was getting upset that I wouldn't be able to take all the classes I wanted before graduation. The only thing that brings NYU second to Kellogg (once again unless I get a scholarship) is that I believe Kellogg has a stronger network in San Francisco, where I want to work.
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V37

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 13:57
Thanks for both of the responses above, they're incredibly helpful. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to attend a class when I came on campus for my interview as they were all full. I currently live in Seattle, so moving to NYC would be pretty big for me. Since I want to work in sports analytics, both Stern and Anderson make sense for me as they're located in entertainment capitals. The point you made of the goal of an MBA is to network is pretty valid for me, as the industry I want to join doesn't exactly recruit for open positions, it's all about the connections. Tepper still draws me because they've got such a strong analytics/statistics program (and I also got a good fellowship from them). I'm waiting to hear from Anderson on 1/28, but right now I guess I'm leaning towards Anderson or Stern. Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 17:37
Hey guys.. anybody in for the Summer Start?
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 17:56
gabrieldoria wrote:
Hey guys.. anybody in for the Summer Start?

Do you have to be invited for Summer Start or can you opt in?

From 510 to 770:

Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 18:24
From what I understand you have to be invited, and can't opt in. There isn't a special application, I think it's based on what NYU wants for their Summer Start class. I tried demonstrating my interest in it during my interview, but didn't get any notification that I was accepted.

This is where I got my information from:

Quote:
Consideration for Summer Start
All Full-time applicants will be considered for Summer Start. You cannot apply directly to the Summer Start program. Selection for Summer Start is at the sole discretion of the Admissions Committee on a space-available basis.

We understand that not every applicant will be able to participate or be interested in Summer Start. Therefore, every student who is contacted about Summer Start will have the opportunity to express his/her interest level in the program.

For students admitted to Summer Start, participation is mandatory. It is an academic program, and all of our academic programs require attendance and participation.

GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 19:32
From talking to people that went through it (NYU is my #1 school - mad research) - they target people with non-traditional/medium-low quant backgrounds. so the person told me lots of military and just general non-financy people in it.
bml1105 wrote:
From what I understand you have to be invited, and can't opt in. There isn't a special application, I think it's based on what NYU wants for their Summer Start class. I tried demonstrating my interest in it during my interview, but didn't get any notification that I was accepted.

Quote:
All Full-time applicants will be considered for Summer Start. You cannot apply directly to the Summer Start program. Selection for Summer Start is at the sole discretion of the Admissions Committee on a space-available basis.

We understand that not every applicant will be able to participate or be interested in Summer Start. Therefore, every student who is contacted about Summer Start will have the opportunity to express his/her interest level in the program.

For students admitted to Summer Start, participation is mandatory. It is an academic program, and all of our academic programs require attendance and participation.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Schools: Stern '17 (M)
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 12:01
angelfire213 wrote:
From talking to people that went through it (NYU is my #1 school - mad research) - they target people with non-traditional/medium-low quant backgrounds. so the person told me lots of military and just general non-financy people in it.
bml1105 wrote:

Quote:

I'm summer start as well. I did see when registering that admitted students can write to the admission team outline why they would like to be in summer start and may be placed into the program if space allows. Summer start is also good for people with strong leadership potential, since it frees up time in the fall for club activities.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 10:06
bml1105 wrote:

I received mine a few days after my acceptance as well...and no scholarship :-(
Stern Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 17:14
angelfire213 wrote:
I heard there were also people in Summer Start who were going to do consulting after graduation. Is it really most just for "non-financy" people? What's the program like? The info on the site is very vague.
Stern Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 17:29
Apparently, admitted students can apply to Summer Start but need to clearly explain how they will benefit from it.

The question is - who is this program really targeting? Students with high potential but no prior exposure to the business world? or some other group?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2015, 17:29

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 88 posts ] 

NYU-Stern Class of 2017: Calling all Admitted Students!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: gmatexam439

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap