Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [3]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 493
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Oct 2: Open Masters Chat with Sia Admissions - Submit Your Questions!! [#permalink]
is London school of economics msc finance program worth applying ? can you tell me about the placement?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Oct 2: Open Masters Chat with Sia Admissions - Submit Your Questions!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tanu11 wrote:
is London school of economics msc finance program worth applying ? can you tell me about the placement?

We can't take question on the forum so late. Please join the session and ask your question in the chat. Thank you! https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [5]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Oct 2: Open Masters Chat with Sia Admissions - Submit Your Questions!! [#permalink]
Kudos

It was Really a Cool chat Session. :cool:
Thanks to all of you and of course SiaAdmissions :D

And Special Thanks to Narenn for Organizing This :blushing:

Today's Chat Session Main Highlights

(For those Who Missed it)

Question 1: Zenith0rigin I am a Canadian born Chinese male who attended a Canadian University. I am wondering if my ethnicity background will weigh down on my Masters Application. As my ethnicity background is overrepresented, would this entail higher GMAT scores (stronger parts of the application) to make myself more competitive? I hold dual citizenship with Hong Kong and Canada.
Answer:Thank you for posting this question on the event’s page in advance of this chat, which allowed me to see that you are interested in attending Oxford’s MSc in Financial Economics and see your posted GPA.
The simple answer to your question is Yes. Perhaps a more detailed explanation is that you will need a stronger than average GMAT score (733) because of your GPA (3.5 GPA is the minimum entry requirement) and because you belong to an overrepresented body of applicants. It would help if you really showcased you can handle the rigor of the institution (being taught by faculty at Said and the department of Economics), irrespective of your ethnicity. The good news is that you can use your Canadian education/experience to present a differentiating factor to your candidacy, and that’s where the qualitative components of the application come in to help you present a holistic and differentiating profile.
I hope this helps. I would be happy to speak with you to discuss your aspirations and help guide you. If you are interested, please reach out: https://www.siaadmissions.com/complimen ... nsultation

Question 2: How much do grades matter in Masters Applications? If one has a good GMAT, and good internship/other activities, does that make up for grades?
Answer: Grades are an essential element of the admissions process, especially for Masters programs that are intended for young professionals (with less than 2 years of professional experience). Depending on the caliber of the institution you target, the admission committee, essentially, wants to know you can handle the rigor of the coursework. Nothing is a substitute for grades. However, if your grades are less than the class average at the target institution, then the other elements in your application must compensate. That means you must have higher than average GMAT scores ("good" is subjective ) and really strong narratives of community engagement/work experience.

Question 3: How one should prepare him/herself right from the undergrad to improve the odds of getting in to our desired MS programs?
Answer: Great question! If you are planning to complete graduate-level studies, I strongly recommend focusing on your academics in your undergraduate experience. I cannot tell you how often clients tell me they wish they could turn back time to their undergraduate experience and focus on their academics (having strong academics opens many doors). Then, depending on your desired program, I recommend you first look at the skills and requirements you need for that target MS program (not just GPA and GMAT, but more about the experiences needed). Then look for opportunities to gain experience in that field, whether that’s through research, extracurricular, or internships. Be always on the lookout for opportunities to be a leader. And keep a journal of those experiences – that journal will come in handy when applications come around so you can pull from a repository of experiences to showcase to the admission committee potential for future success.

Question 4: Phdstanford73 With GMAT 740 (Prospective) My choice of School Stanford {Dream} Yale , Columbia, ISB , oxford is it which will be best to sure shot application ?
Answer: You are targeting a 740 GMAT score and want to know which school is a sure admission with that score? If that is the question, then the answer is NONE . Now more seriously, I am not sure which program you are targeting, so that makes it challenging to address. However, a good rule of thumb is that European schools have, typically, lover GMAT averages, so you are more likely to gain admissions with that score. However, it is a myth that a strong GMAT score guarantees entry because I have many stories to share where that was not the case (and I am talking 750+ GMAT score). So, my recommendation to you is to focus on the holistic application and not rely on the GMAT.

Question 5: tanu11 i want to get into mit for ms finance. what things should i consider? what kind of profile is needed ?
Answer: MIT wants global leaders and those who have a vision for making a difference in the world at large. So you must submit a holistic profile that not only has strong academics (and GMAT), but also really strong community engagement (MIT is all about collaboration and community) with leadership experience. Therefore, pay close attention to the narratives you speak about and the language you use to convey your contributions.

Question 6: Nipungupta9081 what do you think we shall got with 2 year MiM programs or 1 year considering the economy will take time to come back at Pre Corona levels?
Answer:A good GMAT score will absolutely help, but it’s not the "end all be all." Schools are going to take into account COVID, but also look at other experiences pre-COVID you can reference

Question 7: immensitas How much weight is given on the reputation of the undergraduate university? Do top Master programs deny admission prematurely for students from medium-ranked universities?
Answer:Top-ranked Master’s programs do not filter out applicants from medium-ranked universities. That said, the caliber of the institution and the rigor of your field of study do matter. At the end of the day, top-ranked programs want to admit individuals who are going to succeed in their programs. So if you are applying from a medium-ranked institution, and have a really strong GPA/CGPA, then also focus on getting really strong GMAT. Together, that will showcase someone who is academically a strong fit.

Question 8: MartinLF90 What are your thoughts regarding the executive assessment vs the gmat for the full time mba in schools that accept both like NYU, Columbia, MIT, Duke... is it the same to do either one?
Answer: Schools who accept the EA don’t necessarily have a preference; however, if you are targetting consulting roles post-MBA, then you need a GMAT/GRE as the top-ranked hiring firms will ask for your score. If you are not targetting consulting, then take the exam that best reflects your skills.

Question 9: tarun9164807987 Will MIM need a comparatively lesser GMAT score than for a MBA ? like for top universities
Answer: Top-ranked institutions have GMAT averages that are somewhat in line with that of the MBA (depending on the program on geographic location)

Question 10: pngoenka How much do online courses on Coursera strengthen the application?
Answer: Coursera courses are good, which showcases your ability to understand the materials and pass the assessment (assuming certificate bearing course); however, because they are not graded (you do not receive a grade), institutions do not place much weight on them. You are better off to take courses online directly from the target institutions that offer courses in your field. Of course, they are pricier than Coursera but carry more weight.

Question 11: Do Business schools consider Assisting family business as Work experience? And what impact one can show through the experience gained from there?
Answer: Family business experience is valued. However, family member typically have an affinity for the family members they employ so the weight is not the same as if you were to gain internship experience for a non-family business. That said, you can still speak to your accomplishments. What you say depends on the experiences you’ve had and the program you target. I am happy to speak about your experiences and target institution in a 30-minute consultation: https://www.siaadmissions.com/complimen ... nsultation

Question 12: Surbhisingh what are your thoughts on colleges waiving GMAT? What are the chances of getting in without a gmat coming from a considerably larger applicant pool?
Answer: If the GMAT is waived, and you choose to not submit, you must really showcase your strengths. The caliber of candidates schools accept has not been waived, so really make sure you speak to the experiences. The qualitative component of the application is really important.

Question 13: Lazybum how much time does it take to put together the first 3 applications to any school?
Answer: It depends on the strength of your writing and the time you have to dedicate to the materials. To produce strong materials, I would say a minimum of 2 months for 3-applications.

Question 14: saikumarkatari can we overcome low gpa by International Publications?
Answer: Nothing waives your GPA, especially if you don’t have many years of work experience to showcase the maturity and lessons learned. However, if you are publishing for reputable publications, then that could add value (but not replace it). I would also pay attention to the GMAT score you submit.

Question 15: tanu11 how is LSE Ms Finance Program?
Answer: LSE is a great institution and their MFin is really strong, and you have access to financial institutions in and around London, which could bode well for your post-MFin placement. I would look at what you are looking to do, and what you need from a program, and then evaluate its validity on those criteria.

Question 16: Nipungupta9081 what do you think we shall got with 2 year MiM programs or 1 year considering the economy will take time to come back at Pre Corona levels?
Answer: You have to consider the investment you will be making in your education and are you able to afford 2-years without work. We are not sure how long it will take for the economy to bounce back, so I would look at the career you are targetting and the ways your target sector has been affected by COVID. Also consider post MIM salaries in that decision.

Question 17: tarun9164807987 How much do work experience matter for MIM programs?
Answer: Typically, MIMs do not require a lot of experience (1-2 years at matricaltion). In your applications, focus on the quality of your experiences/narratives that you speak about. This could be from experiences in extracurricular activities or internships. While they do not require many years of experience, they do want to know that you are employable.

Question 18: arshiji hi , I am looking towards canadian school and want to do an MBA with specialization in data science. please suggest which all schools have analytics as one of the strong specializations. I have 3 yrs of experience in IT at infosys and done 1 pgp online course from iit ghuwahati.
Answer: Look at Sauder and Rotman. Smith also has a Masters of Management in Analytics which is strong as well.

Question 19: chipsy is 30yrs of age with 8 years of work-ex a disadvantage to be in 2 years MBA full- time programme ?
Answer: It all depends on why you need an MBA and what your goals are. If you are targetting consulting as a Post MBA goal, then the older you are from the class average, the more challenging the admission (because they want to admit those whom they can help secure roles post-MBA). However, if you are open to non-consulting roles, that may be an easier sell. I encourage you to reach out to discuss your profile: https://www.siaadmissions.com/complimen ... nsultation

Hope to see you all in our upcoming Master Program sessions: https://gmatclub.com/forum/youtube-chat ... 34429.html

Regards.
GMAT Club Bot
Oct 2: Open Masters Chat with Sia Admissions - Submit Your Questions!! [#permalink]
Moderator:
3137 posts