GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
GMAT ToolKit User
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2019, 05:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

92% (00:48) correct 8% (00:41) wrong based on 24 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

OGs explanation that "C" is wrong is that the comparison should be made in the past tense because the later part of the sentence is in the past tense.

Can someone please clarify the following...
1. The event of migration to American shores has happened in the past.
2. But this event is being compared to the events until now.
3. The fact that the American migration is the most concentrated is still valid now..
If the above facts are trues then shouldn't the comparison be in the present tense. In other words the comparison is valid even now ?

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-all-the-v ... 05900.html

Originally posted by Avinash99 on 28 Apr 2014, 18:29.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Jan 2019, 05:25, edited 2 times in total.
Official answer added.
Manager
Manager
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 20:35
I agree with you that the comparison is at present and present tense can be correct.
tense problem is usualy hard

however "it is none that..." is not idiomatic in c and d and "as" in a and b is incorrect. I can quickly go to E.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 20:51
therock99 wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
than
than

OGs explanation that "C" is wrong is that the comparison should be made in the past tense because the later part of the sentence is in the past tense.

3. The fact that the American migration is the most concentrated is still valid now..
If the above facts are trues then shouldn't the comparison be in the present tense. In other words the comparison is valid even now ?

Always be sure to identify the substantive clauses.
Here in our sentence "that" introduces substantive clause.
Look into the question in the following manner .
Of all the vast tides of migration (that have swept through history), maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades..

I think the question is not present Vs Past , but it is comparing the waves with the wave that brought 12 million americans ......
If you omit the "that" part , you surely will identify that the correct answer is E as it is the only choice which makes correct comparison.

Press kudos if this helps you :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 21:03
vietmoi999 wrote:
I agree with you that the comparison is at present and present tense can be correct.

however "it is none that..." is not idiomatic in c and d and "as" in a and b is incorrect. I can quickly go to E.

I agree wid what you said .Bu my ques was that wud it be right is ...can we reject C on the basis of Is present tense because the OG says the use of present tense is wrong.I dont see y.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 21:47
therock99 wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:

I agree wid what you said .Bu my ques was that wud it be right is ...can we reject C on the basis of Is present tense because the OG says the use of present tense is wrong.I dont see y.

Hi

Aside the formal and informal aspects of the term ‘maybe’, C and D is so off the mark on grammar in that you can’t have a present tense for an event that occurred in the past, unless it is a recurring and a universal phenomenon.

Regards,
Swami.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 23:16
rrsnathan wrote:
therock99 wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:

Hi

Aside the formal and informal aspects of the term ‘maybe’, C and D is so off the mark on grammar in that you can’t have a present tense for an event that occurred in the past, unless it is a recurring and a universal phenomenon.

Regards,
Swami.

Is doesnt not pertain to the tense of the event ...it is a verb used for the comparison that is very much valid at present if u consider the original for the meaning\\
Regards
Avinash
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 23:43
therock99 wrote:
than
than

But "American migration" "is" not most concentrated; "American migration" "was" most concentrated. Clearly "American migration" is a thing of the past.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 02:51
saumya12 wrote:
therock99 wrote:
than
than

But "American migration" "is" not most concentrated; "American migration" "was" most concentrated. Clearly "American migration" is a thing of the past.

Hi
American migration is a thing in the past but it can be still the most concentrated ....a comparision true today
For eg Jaliawala Bagh is the most insane event in indian history
Of all the batsman that have played for India,Gavaskar is the best batsman .(Gavaskar played in the past)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 03:51
therock99 wrote:
Of all the batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar is the best batsman .(Gavaskar played in the past)

I think we can either say:

i) Of all Indian batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar was the best batsman...or we can say:
ii) Of all Indian batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar has been the best batsman.

If we say "Gavaskar is the best batsman", this would suggest that he still plays.

Here, since we are saying: "Of all the batsman that have played for India", this automatically suggests that we are considering all the batsmen up to the present (since "have played" is present perfect); however, to show that Gavaskar is no longer playing, we need to use simple past ("was the best").
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 04:51
saumya12 wrote:
therock99 wrote:
Of all the batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar is the best batsman .(Gavaskar played in the past)

I think we can either say:

i) Of all Indian batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar was the best batsman...or we can say:
ii) Of all Indian batsman that have played for India, Gavaskar has been the best batsman.

If we say "Gavaskar is the best batsman", this would suggest that he still plays.

Here, since we are saying: "Of all the batsman that have played for India", this automatically suggests that we are considering all the batsmen up to the present (since "have played" is present perfect); however, to show that Gavaskar is no longer playing, we need to use simple past ("was the best").

Saumya
I do understand the point you are making but I still doubt that .Will saying that gavaskar was the best batsman in India ..wouldnt mean now he is not the best batsman.
eg when we say MJ is the best dancer in the world .....we mean he is ..dancers have cum aftr him also...but hes still d best/
n wen we say MJ was the best dancer in the world ...we dnt know anything abt present ...may b dere are bettr dancers dan him nw
(P.S. MJ is dead)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 05:13
therock99 wrote:
Saumya
I do understand the point you are making but I still doubt that .Will saying that gavaskar was the best batsman in India ..wouldnt mean now he is not the best batsman.

As I said, if we use present perfect, it automatically means that we are comparing him with all batsmen (including batsmen of today). So, "gavaskar was OR gavaskar is" is not doing that function.

therock99 wrote:
eg when we say MJ is the best dancer in the world .....we mean he is ..dancers have cum aftr him also...but hes still d best/
n wen we say MJ was the best dancer in the world ...we dnt know anything abt present ...may b dere are bettr dancers dan him nw
(P.S. MJ is dead)

I think if we say:

Of all dancers, MJ is the best: Not correct, because it obviously is talking only about present dancers..and incorrectly tells us that MJ is still there

If we say:

Of all dancers that the world has seen, MJ is the best: Not correct, because while here we are talking about "all" dancers (present and past, because of use of present perfect "has seen"), this is still incorrect because it tells us that MJ is still there

If we say:

Of all dancers that the world has seen, MJ was the best: Correct, because here we are talking about "all" dancers (present and past, because of use of present perfect "has seen"), and also telling that MJ is no more.
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 05:39
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 05:25
Avinash99 wrote:
than
than

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-all-the-v ... 05900.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 05:25

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, ma

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap