GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which of the following applies to you:

• 29% [132]
  • 17% [78]
  • 33% [149]
  • 13% [61]
  • 6% [29]
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S
Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jun 2015, 16:59
The 2016 GMAT Official Guide is out and available for purchase on Amazon as of June 7th, 2015

EMPOWERgmat has already broken down the changes in the biggest update since 2013:'
About 25% of the questions in the prior version have been replaced by new questions.
If you're interested in going directly to the new practice content (25% of the book) when you get your copy, then this PDF is a must-have

DOWNLOAD the PDF breaking down the question changes in the 2016 GMAT Official Guide
Attachments

File comment: New Version! Updated 6/26/2015
2016 GMAT Official Guide Changes Master Guide - EMPOWERgmat.pdf [568.53 KiB]
Downloaded 3772 times

To download please login or register as a user

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 06 Jun 2015, 08:46.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 26 Jun 2015, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 21:45

Here is also my review of this book

See it on Amazon

If you are new to the GMAT, get this book - you need it whether you study on your own or take a course. If you own a previous edition, and evaluating ROI, getting a Question Pack from GMAC's site is a better value ($30 for 404 questions in QP1). In case you are wondering about the question level/difficulty in this book - it is mostly Easy to Medium with few hard questions (not a bad thing necessarily)

~~~ Strengths ~~~
1. Real GMAT questions retired from past tests - 900 real GMAT questions retired from past tests.
2. Online quiz engine allows you to build practice sets using the OG but it is very weak and cumbersome (more below)
3. Practice questions follow actual GMAT test patterns (it's great to have one's ear trained, esp. in verbal)
4. Overview of the Integrated Reasoning section (50 questions online)

~~~ Weaknesses ~~~
1. The quiz system is too simplistic and cumbersome. For example I have no idea how to start working on question 10 or take only assumption questions for example, though it is an upgrade from the previous version... Perhaps I have been spoiled with good GMAT Prep and other CAT Test interfaces. I am struggling here.
2. Questions are EASY/MEDIUM difficulty in general (only about 5 questions are really a 750 level) based on GMAT Club member feedback. Here are the hardest ones: (V Diag 25, PS 218, DS 129, DS 131, DS 141).
3. Does not include any test-taking strategies. Though it has a few short review sections for each area, they are weak and very unfriendly
4. Questions are predominantly low to medium in difficulty which is often not representative of questions one encounters on the test
5. We really could have used some new questions. The official Guide questions are generally on the EASY side.
6. There is a 75% overlap with previous edition. 2015/13th Edition has an 83% overlap with the 12th edition. 12th edition has a 66% overlap the 11th edition.

~~~ Contents (number of questions per section - has remained unchanged since OG 13)~~~
1. Diagnostic Test - 100 questions
2. Problem Solving - 230 questions
3. Data Sufficiency - 174 questions
4. Reading Comprehension - 139 questions
5. Critical Reasoning - 124 questions
6. Sentence Correction - 140 questions
7. Integrated Reasoning - 50 questions (not included in the 907 count)

~~~ HOW DO I STUDY WITH THIS BOOK? ~~~
In case it was not clear, you don't really study with it. You need other books to study and then you use this book for practice/quizzes. For example, you can get the Manhattan GMAT Set of Guides or the Veritas Prep Guides. These book sets come with 8-15 books that are targeting specific Math and Verbal areas. You have a much better chance getting a 700+ with those book sets (not guaranteed) but they also do require at least 2.5-3 months to cover them. The MGMAT Books come with 6 adaptive online tests. Veritas Prep books come with tests as well BUT only if you purchase from their website (Ugh). If you only have a month, you can get the Kaplan book set (Premier and Verbal/Quant workbooks if you need them - they can do the job done but not as exhaustive as MGMAT or Veritas Prep).

~~~ What are some of the good study suggestions? ~~~
- Start with a practice test (diagnostic test)
- You need quality time. It is really the quality time (morning for some and evening for others) that provides the most retention and results
- Don't skip or move past a section until you're able to solve 90% of the questions correctly (timed of course). That is if you want 700+
- Never solve questions without timing yourself (unless it is quick drills)
- Don't jump into the hardest areas first - build confidence instead with what you know and can demonstrate progress at
- Start every new day with the review of what you have learned the day before
- Make notes for everything you cover - it helps tremendously to retain what you have learned even though you may never read them. The process of making notes is a very helpful learning experience. If nothing else works - use it
- Finally, your practice tests are a usually a very good indicator of your performance. If you are getting 600 on your practice tests, there is about a 2% chance that you will get a 700 score. Do not be surprised when you score on real test a 600

Let me know if you have any questions - i reply to comments
BB, Founder of GMAT Club
750, q49, v42.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 21:49

News, from the Blogosphere, MGMAT Review:

source: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... es-part-1/

Quote:
Everything you need to know about the New Official Guides, Part 1
by Stacey Koprince Jun 8, 2015

The new Official Guide books are here! Aren’t you excited?!?

Okay, I realize that most people probably aren’t as excited as I am. But there are still some interesting and useful things to know about these new books as you get ready to take the GMAT. So let’s talk about it!

In this installment, I’ll discuss additions and changes to quant sections for The Official Guide for GMAT® Review 2016, aka the OG or the big book. Keep an eye out for later installments, in which I’ll discuss the verbal section of the big book, as well as the Quantitative Review and Verbal Review books. I’ll also be providing you with a list of the new questions, in case you decide to study from both the 2015 and 2016 editions.

If you haven’t already bought your official guide books, then do buy these latest editions—sure you might be able to get a discount on the 2015 editions, but since you have to spend money anyway, you might as well work from the latest and greatest.

If you have already bought the older editions and are debating whether to buy the new ones, too, then you’ve got a decision to make. On the one hand, there are a lot of great new questions in the 2016 editions. On the other, the 2015 edition already has a ton of problems; you may not need even more. If it were me, I’d wait until I’d used up the ones in the materials I already have. If I still felt that I needed more beyond that, then I’d consider getting one or more of the new books.

What’s new in OG 2016?
Approximately 25% of the questions are brand new, and there are some beauties in the mix. As I worked through the problems, I marveled anew at the skill with which the test writers can produce what I call elegant problems. On the quant side, I saw example after example in which the problem can be solved with little to no computation as long as you can decode and understand the fundamental concept underlying the problem—that’s the real test-taking skill!

Rich D’Amato, spokesperson for GMAT, confirmed that a decent number of the new questions were produced relatively recently; that is, you’ll be seeing questions that were on the real exam not too long ago. (The older questions are still great study questions, too; the GMAT is a standardized test so, by definition, the test makers can’t change things too drastically or rapidly. There can be some mild trends over time, though. For example, the test makers may decide that certain idioms should be retired from or introduced for Sentence Correction problems.)

The opening chapters of the book describe how the GMAT works and how to study for the test; these sections have not changed. Nor has the Math Review (chapter 4). This is no surprise—again, the GMAT is a standardized test and, as such, it remains very consistent over time. The Diagnostic test in chapter 3 also has not changed.

What’s new in Quant?
Overall, I noticed multiple new problems that crossed two or (occasionally) even three content areas. For instance, #18 is a geometry question that also crosses into percents, as does overlapping sets Problem #91. I chose those two examples on purpose so that I could also point this out: fractions and percents, in particular, are really good concepts to cross over into any other content area, so make sure you have a very solid foundation in both fractions and percents.

I also noticed a few visual questions—a couple of 3-D geometry and some coordinate plane problems that were made much harder by my general tendency to struggle with this kind of visual stuff. If you’re like me, beware; you may decide ahead of time that you want to bail immediately on 3-D or other problems that have a heavy visual component.

Problem Solving
Of the 230 questions in the Problem Solving (PS) section, 58 of them are new. (Disclaimer: I hope I counted correctly for all of these sections, but I’ve been going through about 1,500 questions and hundreds of pages quickly in order to get this review out to you right away. So please forgive me if I miscounted anything! I’ll correct any errors as soon as I find out about them.)

I noticed a number of what I’ll call “practical” questions: the question, usually a story problem, reads like something you might be asked to figure out in the real world. Problem #11, for example, asks you to figure out the minimum number of questionnaires you’d need to mail in order to achieve a certain desired number of responses. (The problem includes an assumed response rate.)

Note: I can’t actually reproduce the text of the question for copyright reasons, but I’m citing the problem number so that you can look it up if you do decide to buy the book.

Problem #39 can literally be counted out on your fingers—as long as you understand what you’re being asked to do. Be careful with definitions!

I also saw several problems that seriously disguised what the question was getting at. I don’t want to spoil you for the questions—better if you can figure it out for yourself!—but take a close look at #68 and #83. On the surface, these would be classified as algebra. But at least one can be done more easily using a different set of concepts. (I’ll tell you at the end of this article. But don’t look until you’ve tried to figure it out yourself!)

I used smart numbers to solve a number of the problems and I also worked backwards multiple times. In other words, these strategies are just as important as they always were. I did notice one question (#99) on which we could use smart numbers but the form of the answers indicated that it’d almost certainly be easier to do algebra. Look at the problem; you’ll see what I mean!

Finally, let’s talk about those elegant questions. If you can understand the concepts underlying #97, then you barely need to calculate anything at all—even though it looks as though you’re going to need to do some annoying algebra to answer the problem. Likewise, #107 has a huge disguise that, once uncovered, allows you to answer in two seconds without calculating anything at all. (Again, I’ll tell you what this is at the end of this article.)

Data Sufficiency
Of the 174 Data Sufficiency (DS) problems, 45 are new to this edition of the OG.

Continuing on the theme from PS, I was really struck by the number of new story problems for which translation is the whole key. If you translate carefully and accurately, then you don’t need to do anything more to solve. For example, #38 looks particularly nasty. Translate that thing very carefully, though, and you won’t have to do any messy calculations to answer. Problem #83 is another example; the story is pretty confusing, but if you can lay out the parts carefully and clearly, then the rest of the problem is more about logic than math.

Next, I used testing cases numerous times; as with PS, the standard test-taking strategies are still in full evidence on DS. I also noticed that, as before, it’s crucial to make sure you know what you were asked to find. This is true on PS too, of course, but DS tends to set more traps around solving for the wrong thing. Check out #39. You can’t find t by itself, but you can find t2, and that’s good enough to solve.

So what were all those cool disguises and tricks you mentioned?
Here you go. Again, do not read this until you have worked on these problems yourself! If you can figure out what’s going on yourself, the lesson will stick much better in the end. J

PS #68 and #83. These two problems share a consecutive integer disguise. The givens can be read to mean consecutive integers (the second one has to be rearranged to do so) and, since in each case the two terms multiply to an integer, that tells you that you’re dealing with the factors of that integer. For instance, in #68, the factors of 24 are (1, 24), (2, 12), (3, 8), and (4, 6). BUT note that the problem does not actually mention factors or specify positive numbers, so you also have to take into account that the pairs could be negative.

Next, you know that they have to be consecutive odds or consecutive evens, so the only two pairs that work are (4, 6) and (-4, -6). From there, you can figure out the answer. Problem #83 has a similar disguise, although it can also be solved via quadratic equations.

PS #97. The question asks you to maximize the depth, N(t). The -20(t – 5)2 term has that negative sign out front, so it could reduce the depth, so you need to minimize the negative value. How? Make the (t – 5) term equal to zero!

PS #107. I love this one. It’s a weighted average question in disguise. The formula x + y = 1 signifies that the two weightings add up to 100%: x + y = 100%, where x and y are the two weightings. The formula 100x + 200y signifies the weightings that you’re applying to each of the two endpoints, 100 and 200. The weighted average must be somewhere between the two starting numbers / endpoints, so only two of the roman numerals can work.

DS #38. The question tells you to set (1/12 + kv2) equal to 5/12. Then it asks you for v. If you know k, then you can find v. So the real question is whether the statement allows you to find k. Statement (1) obviously does, and statement (2) also does, because it gives you another equation: (1/12) + k(30)2 = 1/6.

DS #83. There are x processors. Each processor can process up to y calls. Think about what this means—maybe even draw a picture. Note that x has to be at least 1 and y has to be at least 1. If you have x = 1 processor that can process y = 500 calls, then sure, you can process 500 calls at once. If you have x = 10 processors that can process y = 10 calls each, then nope, you can’t process 500 calls at once.

So you need to know something about x and y in order to answer. It looks, then, like statements (1) and (2) can’t work alone, since each talks about only one variable. But don’t forget the constraint that each has to be at least 1!! If you have x = 600 processors, then you can definitely process 500 calls, since each processor has to be able to process at least one call.

What about Verbal? And the other books?
Next time, we’ll dive into the verbal sections of the Big OG. Then, we’ll discuss the quant and verbal supplements, and finally, I’ll provide you with lists of the new questions in each book and also the new question numbers for the old questions that remain in the book from the last edition.

Happy studying!

Founder of GMAT Club

Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 09:23
Waiting for expert take on OG Verbal Review and Quant. Review

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V31
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2015, 21:51
Hi bb,

What is your opinion of the OG Verbal Review 2016? Is it worth buying?

Thanks in Advance!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 03:11
It is 25% new questions... so you get 75 new ones. Is that worth $15 or whatever it costs with delivery for you?
It may or may not be...

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Finance

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2015, 10:25
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
The 2016 GMAT Official Guide is out and available for purchase on Amazon as of June 7th, 2015

EMPOWERgmat has already broken down the changes in the biggest update since 2013:'
About 25% of the questions in the prior version have been replaced by new questions.
If you're interested in going directly to the new practice content (25% of the book) when you get your copy, then this PDF is a must-have

DOWNLOAD the PDF breaking down the question changes in the 2016 GMAT Official Guide

Hi, EMPOWERgmat

Could you please provide us similar break down of new question in Verbal and Quant review 2016?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 04:41
Has anyone seen a list of which exact questions are new in the og 2016? I would like to do these questions (25% new) but dont want to have to skim through all the old ones ive done already. Thanks
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 11:46
hi kaleharrison,

here is the list of the new problems for the quant portion in the Official Guide to GMAT Review 2016:

Problem Solving: 1, 2, 3, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 25, 27, 30, 31, 33, 38, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 56, 57, 59, 60, 61, 63, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 73, 76, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, 97, 98, 99, 107, 108, 111, 114, 117, 122, 125, 134, 136, 137, 139, 142, 153.

Data Sufficiency: 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 29, 34, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 49, 51, 54, 55, 60, 64, 67, 73, 77, 80, 83, 84, 86, 92, 94, 115, 121, 134, 135, 136, 137, 150.

The questions in the diagnostic test are exactly the same as the OG 2015 and the GMAT 13th Edition.

Dabral
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 18:43
kaleharrison wrote:
Has anyone seen a list of which exact questions are new in the og 2016? I would like to do these questions (25% new) but dont want to have to skim through all the old ones ive done already. Thanks

Hi kaleharrison,

At the very top of this thread is the EMPOWERgmat PDF that not only breaks down EXACTLY which questions are new but also how the questions shifted up or down in the 2016 edition.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell Johnson
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 08:56
this is great post.

Can anyone please also comment on the Level of the new questions. For example if the question is 700+ or 600 level. Thank you.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.76
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 10:52
Guys...Is there any way we can upgrade our OG 2015 to OG 2016 having 25% new content?
Please suggest how we can do if yes?.
I tried as gmat2015updates which was mentioned within the book, but it didnt work.
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: GMATQuantum

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 21:40
ag1979

About 20% of the new questions fall in the 700+ level. For example, in the GMAT Quant Review 2016, out of the 75 new questions I would categorize about 15 of them to be in the 700+ category. The bulk of them are of easy to medium difficulty level.

Sumit124431

There is no way to upgrade your 2015 Official Guide even if you bought an ebook from Wiley. GMAC wants you to spend some fresh money, well that is really the main purpose of releasing new editions, other than sprinkling some new questions.

Dabral
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 14:01
Guys, when you talk about the OG do you mean the whole bundle with verbal and quantitative or just only the review?

Im at the beginning of my jurney and want to order the books. (OG and Manhattan)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 14:27
Hi age95,

When most Test Takers refer to the OG, they're talking about the main OG (the bigger book with both Quant and Verbal). Depending on your individual needs and Study Plan, you might find the subject-specific books (one for Quant, one for Verbal) to provide some useful additional practice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 20:24
Hello BB and fellow GMAT Club Members - Would like to know if the Diagnostic Test in OG is available with OG's Online content as well (if I purchase the book and get access to the online content - is the Diagnostic test accessible online?) or Diagnostic test can only be accessed through the book?

Please advice.

Thanks!

KUDOS!!!, I need them too :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 19:42
I know the interface for doing a "practice set" online leaves much room to be desired. I dont think its possible to create "practice sets" that don't include questions that I haven't already seen. This is really frustrating. How was this not considered when setting up the online system? I did a set of 20 questions in SC in one sitting. Now I want to do another set of 20, when I tried to create a new set, I got all the same questions.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 19:55
Hi All,

If you have any questions about these products that you'd like to ask to the Official GMAC Rep on this site, you can do so here:

updated-and-improved-2016-official-guides-for-gmat-review-200030.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 05:18
I need to know the overlapping questions between verbal review16 and 2nd edition. I want to start from verbal review 16. So, need reverse overlapping from 2nd edition. Please help.
GMAT Club Bot
Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jan 2016, 05:18

Official Guide 2016 Reviews, Analysis, and Should you Buy it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap