Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Official Mock Tests vs. Manhattan CATs [#permalink]
gurvindersgmat wrote:
The real gmat has changed a lot over the years and the gmat prep tests offered by gmac don’t match the intensity of the real gmat anymore.

Posted from my mobile device

Do you have any suggestion on how to prepare for the rigour of the actual test that has become more difficult and nuanced in the last few years? Can the Advanced OG and Question Pack 2 be relied on as a better option than the official mocks?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Official Mock Tests vs. Manhattan CATs [#permalink]
Mgmat cats. I have not been able to crack the new gmat. Someone else can give you better advice.

Originally posted by gurvindersgmat on 05 Dec 2020, 20:09.
Last edited by gurvindersgmat on 05 Dec 2020, 20:34, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Official Mock Tests vs. Manhattan CATs [#permalink]
I had similar results, MGMAT is harder

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mgmat quant is meaningfully more time consuming and thus harder... just FYI. Verbal can go a few ways.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dasailton,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion that matches the parameters that you will face when you take the Official GMAT).

The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the Official GMAT, but you have to be careful about assuming that that was the 'only' reason why you scored lower on this CAT. Have you had a chance to review this recent CAT in detail? How many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake?

Since your Official GMAT is now less than 2 weeks away, it's worth noting that the the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?

Goals:
3) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
dasailton wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am planning to take the GMAT on December 16th. Throughout the last weeks, I have mainly tracked my study progress by taking the Official Practice Exams. On the first four tests, I have scored 600 (Right at the beginning of my studies, so not really relevant), 730 (Q48,V42), 730 (Q49, V40), 740 (Q50, V41). I have taken each test exactly once, meaning that I have not come across previously known questions yet.

However, I took a Manhattan Prep CAT today (the first, free one) and only scored 670 (Q44, V37) which is obviously way different from the scores on the official mock tests and leaves me scared for the actual GMAT...
I know that this has probably been asked previously, but can anyone explain why my scores in the official test were way higher? I have taken all tests under realistic conditions... Aiming for 700 on the actual exam!

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Hi dasailton

FInd comparison among various tests on this thread.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/18-online-fr ... 57862.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
thanks everyone!

EMPOWERgmatRichC typically studying for 3-4 hours everyday for the last 2 months, planning to take the home edition as centers are closed...
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dasailton,

Here is the good news. You scored VERY WELL on the official practice exams, so I don't' think you have anything to worry about. If you need any advice on how to tackle the final 9 days, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi dasailton,

Here is the good news. You scored VERY WELL on the official practice exams, so I don't' think you have anything to worry about. If you need any advice on how to tackle the final 9 days, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Do you have any article that is ready?

GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
dasailton wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am planning to take the GMAT on December 16th. Throughout the last weeks, I have mainly tracked my study progress by taking the Official Practice Exams. On the first four tests, I have scored 600 (Right at the beginning of my studies, so not really relevant), 730 (Q48,V42), 730 (Q49, V40), 740 (Q50, V41). I have taken each test exactly once, meaning that I have not come across previously known questions yet.

However, I took a Manhattan Prep CAT today (the first, free one) and only scored 670 (Q44, V37) which is obviously way different from the scores on the official mock tests and leaves me scared for the actual GMAT...
I know that this has probably been asked previously, but can anyone explain why my scores in the official test were way higher? I have taken all tests under realistic conditions... Aiming for 700 on the actual exam!

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Hey dasailton,

I suggest you to stick with the official mocks as they are the best reflection of the actual GMAT. And as your scores are consistent in the official mocks, I think you are in a very good position to score 700+ on the actual test. As you just have a week left, I suggest you to not stress yourself and not to do anything different. Try to work on your weak areas for a couple of days if possible and after that just do the basic practice as you always do. If you wish to give a mock, you can just give one on 12th or 13th.

All the best for your prep. Do not over think. Just focus on the process :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
plaverbach wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi dasailton,

Good luck!

Do you have any article that is ready?

An article regarding how to study for the next 9 days?
GMAT Club Bot