It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GPA: 3.3
Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 19:38
Brazilian / Italian candidate who is seeking a career transition from communications to international business (sales or business dev / management consulting).

Due to the current visa policy in the US, my backup plan is to find a position in Europe as I hold dual nationality.

Which school would be a better choice?
Retired Moderator
P
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 20:13
jordan2020 wrote:
Brazilian / Italian candidate who is seeking a career transition from communications to international business (sales or business dev / management consulting).

Due to the current visa policy in the US, my backup plan is to find a position in Europe as I hold dual nationality.

Why not Rotman?
I see you got into Rotman school.

If so, it would be best option.

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 20:21
stonecold wrote:
jordan2020 wrote:

Why not Rotman?

I only got a small scholarship offer from Rotman. Unfortunately I can't make such an investment at the moment.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
jordan2020 wrote:
stonecold wrote:
jordan2020 wrote:

Why not Rotman?

I only got a small scholarship offer from Rotman. Unfortunately I can't make such an investment at the moment.

Got that.
I would go to Fisher with my eyes closed.
Although Penn state is a great program and is extreeeeeemly difficult to get into, Fisher is a much stronger brand.

Best
Stone

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 17:09
jordan2020 wrote:

Congrats for both schools.

I advise you to go to Fisher, although I love state collage as visitor. :-)

As matter of fact Fisher has path in international business and you can create your own path from rich electives which Penn state lacks . Also, you would live in a city where you can access and travel to other locations. Although Fisher is not management consulting feeder, you have small window for opportunity, compared to Penn state which is known as powerhouse for supply chain and students as told during my mba class visit, consider Fisher their rival.

That being said, I doubt that any of them carry any weight internationally. Both are regional American schools. Canada would be better for you if you can afford.

Is GMAT presented in you profile the final GMAT you used to apply to both schools?

Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 18:20
Mo2men wrote:
jordan2020 wrote:

Congrats for both schools.

I advise you to go to Fisher, although I love state collage as visitor. :-)

As matter of fact Fisher has path in international business and you can create your own path from rich electives which Penn state lacks . Also, you would live in a city where you can access and travel to other locations. Although Fisher is not management consulting feeder, you have small window for opportunity, compared to Penn state which is known as powerhouse for supply chain and students as told during my mba class visit, consider Fisher their rival.

That being said, I doubt that any of them carry any weight internationally. Both are regional American schools. Canada would be better for you if you can afford.

Is GMAT presented in you profile the final GMAT you used to apply to both schools?

Good luck

Thank you for sharing your insights.

As mentioned above, I understand that Canadian universities (I got partial scholarship offers from Rotman and McGill) could be better fits but it is a financial impediment. As an international MBA candidate in the US, I am aware that it will be challenging to overcome the H1B visa situation and land a full time job + seek jobs in Europe throughout the program in case things don't go as planned. That's why every international applicant should create their own strategy considering various scenarios and use that to leverage their own performance on the essays and, most importantly, the admission interviews. Here's my two cents on the matter: https://www.topmba.com/jobs/career-tren ... ba-jobs-us

And yes, that was my final GMAT score. I got a 590 on my first try, then improved to 610 on my second try. I understand that it can be a bit surprising considering the offers that have been made, but fortunately many universities truly use a holistic approach to review the applications. In my opinion, if you are not from an overrepresented MBA applicant group (e.g. India), there is no need to worry so much about having a GMAT score below 700 depending on the schools that you are targeting. I'm sorry, that's a discussion for another post!
VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 03:16
jordan2020 wrote:
And yes, that was my final GMAT score. I got a 590 on my first try, then improved to 610 on my second try. I understand that it can be a bit surprising considering the offers that have been made, but fortunately many universities truly use a holistic approach to review the applications. In my opinion, if you are not from an overrepresented MBA applicant group (e.g. India), there is no need to worry so much about having a GMAT score below 700 depending on the schools that you are targeting. I'm sorry, that's a discussion for another post!

Hi jordan2020

Thanks for your reply. But actually I was not clear for my question. I meant to tell you that this score could not help you in applying to consulting firms like MBB and big 2nd tier. You need to be at least 700 to get opportunity for interview. I have friends in schools suh KF who have 670 but they study for GMAT during their first year to apply for consulting companies. I think you have good time before the start of the program.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 07:26
Mo2men wrote:
jordan2020 wrote:

Hi jordan2020

Thanks for your reply. But actually I was not clear for my question. I meant to tell you that this score could not help you in applying to consulting firms like MBB and big 2nd tier. You need to be at least 700 to get opportunity for interview. I have friends in schools suh KF who have 670 but they study for GMAT during their first year to apply for consulting companies. I think you have good time before the start of the program.

Hi Mo2men,

Oh now I see your point. I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to retake the test (with no guarantees that I would achieve 700+ score considering my nonquant background) because landing jobs in consulting can be extremely difficult if you are not attending a top 20 school. That being said, the fact that Fisher offers an international business major (and Smeal does not) will probably be a key factor on my final decision as this is my desired career field. Career Management's counseling will be very important for me.
Re: Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride)   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 07:26

Ohio State Fisher (full ride) vs. Penn State Smeal (full ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: jessepinkman, Wilch, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap