Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [12]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What [#permalink]
Kudos
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What is the probability that he will hit the target in 4 shots?

(A) 1
(B) 1/81
(C) 1/3
(D) 65/81
(E) 71/81

hiting target 1/3
missing 1-1/3 ; 2/3
so in 4 shots
1-(2/3)^3
1-16/81
65/81
IMO D

Hi, i have a doubt, according to the question, "On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots". So by 3rd shot, he must have hit once and by 4th shot too he must have hit atleast once. Why is the answer not 1 then?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What [#permalink]
I got B.

(1/3)^4=1/81. Can anyone help why this is not correct? Appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Lobna12 wrote:
I got B.

The approach that you have taken means the shooter will hit in every shot, which is not what the question is asking.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What [#permalink]
Lobna12 wrote:
I got B.

you can rephrase the question this way:
What is the probability that a sharpshooter AT LEAST hit one target in 4 shots.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
i think it should be 1. experts please shed light on this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 343
Send PM
On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What [#permalink]
wadhwakaran wrote:

The first response to this question provides the clearest answer.

The AVERAGE probability is 1/3.

That means that over a series of many shots a hit was made in 1 shot, 2 shots, 20 shots, etc, averaging a success rate of 1 in 3.

Because some hits were made only after many shots, for example, it should be clear that there is no guarantee that a shot will be made in ANY series of shots.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
On average, a sharpshooter hits the target once every 3 shots. What is the probability that he will hit the target in 4 shots?

(A) 1
(B) 1/81
(C) 1/3
(D) 65/81
(E) 71/81

wadhwakaran wrote:

@wadwakaran
You are ignoring the first two words of the question: "on average." A fair coin lands on heads half the time and on tails half the time, so on average, it lands on heads once every 2 tosses. Does that mean that if you toss the coin twice, you will definitely get one heads and one tails? Nope. You could get heads 100 times in a row. Or tails 100 times in a row. Similarly, it is entirely possible for the sharpshooter to hit the target four times in a row or to miss it four times in a row.

I find the distribution of answer choices selected by forum members to be really interesting on this one.
18% A
12% B
12% C
56% D
2% E

Only 56% got it right, so let's figure out WHY!

Without doing any math and just by reasoning through this, we should be able to get it down to D and E, so the fact that > 40% chose A, B, or C is a problem!

A) As above, just as it is possible to get four heads in a row on coin tosses, it's possible for the sharpshooter to miss the target all four times. Incorrect.

B and C) If his odds are 1/3 on a single shot, should taking more shots improve his odds, keep them the same, or cause them to diminish? Let's use some logic. If we gave him 10000000000 shots, he'd eventually hit it, right? If we gave him 10000 shots, he'd still be pretty sure of hitting it. If we gave him 100 shots, his odds would still be pretty good. Even with 10 shots, the odds would certainly be better than 1/3. So, having more than one shot means his odds are higher than 1/3. If you picked B or C, please slow down and make sure that you aren't throwing calculations at a problem before you really think about what you're calculating. If you have no idea how to do a problem, see if you can reason through it like this to eliminate answer choices. We haven't done any math at all, we are down to a 50/50 with D and E...and we've eliminated the three wrong answers that people picked 40% of the time.

Alright, so now let's work through the math. The calculation in the first response on the thread is correct, but it's pretty clear from the fact that so many folks are getting this wrong that they don't understand WHY.

On probability questions, the first thing we need to do is define "how to win." We win with any of the following:
Hit and hit and hit and hit...or
Hit and hit and hit and miss...or
Hit and hit and miss and hit...or
Hit and miss and hit and hit...or
Miss and hit and hit and hit...or
Hit and hit and miss and miss...or
Hit and miss and hit and miss...or
Hit and miss and miss and hit...or
Miss and hit and hit and miss...or
Miss and hit and miss and hit...or
Miss and miss and hit and hit...or
Hit and miss and miss and miss...or
Miss and hit and miss and miss...or
Miss and miss and hit and miss...or
Miss and miss and miss and hit

Oh, dear, that's a LOT of stuff to list out...but I have great news!!! The odds of winning and the odds of losing add up to be 100%. W+L=1. That means that instead of doing all the work to find the odds of winning, we can just find the odds of losing and then use W=1-L.

Remember when I said above that the first step on probability questions is defining how we win? Well, I kinda take it back. The first step on probability questions is defining EITHER how we win OR how we lose. In this case, how we lose is much easier. It's just:

Miss and miss and miss and miss.

In probability, "and" means multiply and "or" means "add."
We know from the question that the probability of a hit on each individual shot is 1/3. So, what's the probability of a miss on each individual shot? 2/3.

Okay, so let's plug in "2/3" for each "miss" and "*" for each "and."

Miss and miss and miss and miss
2/3 * 2/3 * 2/3 * 2/3 = 16/81

So that's the probability that the sharpshooter MISSES ALL FOUR TIMES. But that's not a win; we defined winning as getting at least one hit, so missing all four times is a LOSS.

W+L=1
W + (16/81) = 1
W = 1 - (16/81)
W = 65/81

Answer choice D.

ThatDudeKnowsProbability
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Can we do this math by using combination method?

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zareensoobuh wrote:
Can we do this math by using combination method?

I'd recommend to stick with this method.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts