It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2010, 09:28
very nice question, so much to learn here, and Ron's explanation by MGMAT is superb.

some things i learned.

rate at - idiom
believe to be - passive
believe that - active
if a sentence starts with a prepositional phrase, make sure you find the subject and verb and see if there is inversion.

C is out because, if you look at the whole sentence
On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

Sunspot cycles are not seen in the rings visible in trunks of the trees, it makes no sense. Let me know if there is still confusion.

E is correct

Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

from the previous exp we know the subject verb are reversed here.
Subject - rate
Verb - is
Prepositional phrase - Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles
the rate at is correct here
trees are where the rings are visible correctly modified.

I'm new to this Kudo's thing, haven't gotten one yet, but apparently it's a good thing. anyways thanks for the explanations guys... great question.

Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness. ;)

5 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2010, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

Ron's explanation of this on the MGMAT forums is superb, but it appears a lot of people aren't going there. So I'll just do a quick rewrite of it here, so people can get the nuggets of his wisdom.

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
PROBLEMS: Putting "On Earth" at the beginning implies that people on other planets believe different things. Also the verb "are" is the verb that goes with the subject "rate" (we know the subject can't be "indications" Or "sunspot cycles", because both of those nouns are inside prepositional phrases (beginning with "among" and "of" respectively), which doesn't match up. Finally, you can't say "the rate that trees grow", because the trees aren't growing anything. You have to say "the rate at which trees grow", because the correct form is "trees grow AT a rate of...".

B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
PROBLEM: "On Earth" problem again. "are" problem again. Adding "it is believed" as a modifying phrase set off my commas is ugly, if not totally incorrect.

C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
PROBLEM: "On Earth" problem again. Also "as seen in the rings..." is a prepositional modifier, which always have to touch the nouns they modify. This is not supposed to modify "sunspot cycles", but "the rate (at which trees grow)".

D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
PROBLEM: Here the modifying phrase "believed to be the tree growth rate" seems to be modifying "sunspot cycles". That doesn't make sense. In reality, we don't have any main verb here. We would need to say "is believed" to make this a complete sentence.

E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
CORRECT: "On Earth" is in a good place (modifying "indications", instead of the whole clause). "Is" is correct. "At which" is correct. And the final clause is modifying "the rate (at which trees grow)". Yay!

Hope that helps! (Thanks to Ron!)

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years in IT

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2010, 19:03
Great explanation. I was thinking it was C until I saw the explanation.

Wonder if we will have the time to go through questions like these in detail during the exam.

To reach a port, we must sail—Sail, not tie at anchor—Sail, not drift.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2010, 21:59
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow[/u], as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles correct
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate misplaced modifiers
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow Wrong word placement

Hard work is the main determinant of success

1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Rlev,

Check the explanation. C is not correct here. : )

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2010, 22:17
It's the growth rate which is seen in the ring, not the cycles. E should be the answer!
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2010, 15:05
E cannot be correct because if we look at the option (E).......

Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

Dont we have a subject-verb problem there....

'indications' is plural and 'is' is singular......

the reason I thought E is wrong is because of the subject-verb agreement error......Can someone shed some light no this......

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles

D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate

E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 11:15
In C, "their" refer to sunspot cycles, which is incorrect, since it should refer to trees, as is clearly referred in E.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 10:09
noboru wrote:
In C, "their" refer to sunspot cycles, which is incorrect, since it should refer to trees, as is clearly referred in E.

does anybody have to say something regarding this?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 13:47
C for me.

On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen...

as seen is correctly referring to 'the rate'. Hence C. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2011, 23:02
I think it should be C as well, I have several reasons to support my view

(1) The OA is C
(2) On E, "is believed to be " should be " are believed to be"
(3) Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is awkard.

sasen wrote:
boeinz wrote:

1) On earth,among.... sentence starts with a conjunction which is suspect.Still should be immediately followed by a preposition such as "there" "it"
2)rate that trees grow is correct,rate at which is correct

1)same as above
2)are,it is believed,the rate.....is should be used
3)the rate of tree growth,as seen in...is incorrect structure

correct
1)"of sunspot cycles" should immediately follow indications,in turn followed by "on earth" as "one of the surest indictaion of sun spot cuycles on earth"
2)"belived to be " should not be prefixed by comma but by a verb "is"
3)Agin the structure of the sentence in the last part goes bizarre

1) indications should be followed immediately by "of sunspot cycles" rather than "on earth"
2) X is believed to be Y is a correct strructre.
what is X,Y here? X is "Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles" and Y is "the rate at which trees grow" doesnt make sense,should be other way around
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 04:15
nice question
but i got it wrong. good explanation guys.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:23
The important thing here is to note what the pronoun ‘their’ in the un-underlined part points to. Unfortunately, in C it refers to the sunspot cycles by virtue of proximity, while it should refer to the trees, which is what E does and thus outdoes C.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 20:01
sondenso already pointed out the subject/verb agreement issue with A and B, but I wanted to point out the (hilarious) implications of the placement of the phrase "on earth." In A, B, and C the meaning is slightly different from what we want-- these choices imply that "here on earth" we believe something (...as opposed to the Martians who believe something else?). Often if you see an entire phrase lifted and placed somewhere different in the other answer choices, it's a red flag to check for modifier issues.

The intended meaning is that "out of all of the indications on Earth, this particular indication is the surest." Both D and E correctly place the phrase "on Earth" after "indications," where it belongs.

As several others pointed out above, the non-underlined pronoun "their" means that we must have the plural antecedent "trees." Additionally, D is missing a verb! The past participle "believed," while it looks exactly like the simple past tense "believed" CANNOT function as a verb in this situation. We use the idiom "believed to be" in the following situation:

She is believed to be the best runner in the class.
(OTHER PEOPLE--who are unspecified in this sentence-- believe that SHE is the best runner)

...or...
Stella, believed to be the best runner in her class, won the competition.
(Here "believed" functions as it does in choice D--as a modifier describing Stella)

If we use "believed" as a simple past-tense verb, the function of that verb and the required structure changes:

She believed Carl.
(SHE is the one doing the believing, and CARL is the one being believed)

Choice E (while to my ear horribly wordy) correctly matches the subject/verb, uses the correct pronoun antecedent, and places modifiers correctly. This is another great case for "get rid of the wrong ones" instead of "find the one that sounds good."

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 22:13
Since we are talking about 'one in many', the verb should be singular - 'among many things...one is...'. Also 'rate at' is correct idiom!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2012, 03:25
Inverted statement – Subject is rate. Verb needs to be singular.
A – rate that trees grow. Wrong usage. Rate is singular. S-V error because of are. Eliminate
B – Rate of tree growth is correct. In the Sentence after comma “their trunks” clearly refers to the trees. But we don’t have tree as a subject in the sentence before comma. is singular. S-V error because of are. Eliminate
C – No S-V error. Clear reference to trees. Keep
D – Fragment. Sentence lacks verb. Eliminate
E –Surest indications needs to be as close as possible to sunspot cycles. Eliminate
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 05:36
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question? I picked C in the end over E...

Not sure what the OA is

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question? I picked C in the end over E...

Not sure what the OA is

On Earth, among the surest indications (...)
Among the surest indications on Earth (...)

The two sentences seem to say the same thing, but actually there is a difference.
"On Earth," refers to the whole thing after, not only to the indicator, as it should.

So "among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be (...)" <== all this is modified by "On Earth", so it seems that on another planet this indicators are not believed to be accurate.
On the other hand "Among the surest indications on Earth (...)" says that on Earth we have some indications, and among those tree growth is accurate.

Hope I've explained myself well!
The OA is E.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 08:31
(A) and (B) are out as "is" should be used instead of "are".
D is bizarre.
The problem in (C) is that second part of the sentence (after comma) seems to modify the sun whereas it should modify the trees which is best done in (E).

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 10:56
boeinz wrote:

I was confuse with the answer E! I could not be!

But the OA is C which is the answer I have chosen. :)

E and D and A and B easily eliminate.

Leaving answer C !

But watch out, 1000 Brutal SC is NOT RELIABLE!

If you want to have good SC look at the SC posted by administrators of this website!

Hope it helps!

Think outside the box

Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2013, 10:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 94 posts ] 

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap