GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 15:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
It's only in verbal section that I get pissed off.
I read wrong explanation for the correct answer.
Financial report is generated and CAN BE USED to program balance sheet. Bringing extraneous meaning to disprove the grammar is really funny.
So named is right. Named Such is wrong.
I don't know why nobody pointed that out.
I've quickly noticed that SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else.
If you doubted that financial reports are used to programme balance sheet, then why would you believe that the computer is used?
Actually it is Programming Language that is used to programme things not the computer. or you can try to use your PC to programme without BASIC or C++ or ORACLE. Now that's wrong again. it is the programmer that programmes not the Language.
MY POINT: Look at the grammar rules not the critical reasoning. SC is a quite diff from CR. "Named such" ruled E out.
Would be hard to find such a clumsy statement as the correct answer in GMAT SC.
When it gets tough, start eliminating.
Thank you guys.
The answer is D.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4260
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 00:11
Nej
Hi
I appreciate your point of view although I may have to differ from you. You seem to imply that Veritas is wrong in its interpretation that computer generates the reports saying that it is the programmer who does the job. Absolutely no issue about it.

But to say that In SC, we can relegate meaning behind grammar is untenable. Because you see, the meaning analysis is a recent insertion in SC before which probably GMAT was content with just grammar. Then why has GMAT brought this meaning factor into the picture and lately been giving equal weight or even more, to meaning? GMAT has made it clear that between two choices that may be grammatically correct, it is the ‘better – meaning’ one that wins the context. So you can see why meaning is indispensable and not subordinate to grammar in GMAT.

SC is not just mechanical but reasoning too IMO. In a similar argument, can we dispense with the reasoning in RC, because RC is about Comprehension?
The point of GMAT is not to look at things in disparate modules but take an integrated outlook.

This is just my philosophy although it is no reflection on your thesis. I do appreciate your point of view nevertheless, I repeat.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 01:58
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my leaps.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 02:00
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my lips.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4260
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 02:45
Mr. Nez,
If you thought so, be that as it may. But your confirmation that D is the correct answer in spite of it being the wrong meaning points to your altered intention. In any case, why did you have to repeat your last message twice? Are you confused?
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 12:33
You presume a knowledge of the author's knowledge.
How do you know which has the wrong meaning?
*laughing*
in your question.
certainly I'm not. But I would have asked same of me if I were you. you threw the coin back to me:
believe me it's a good thing to do sometimes.
ensures some balance.
The repetition anyway suggests confusion really.
But if you look deeper you are certain to find there was a correction in the post.
I thought you are great critical thinker. sorry, I mean to say "I'm sure" not "think".
In veritas: I cannot say they are wrong. no way. they probably have insider in GMAC or Pearson. who knows.
But if you follow strict GMAT grammar lexis rules you'd be an SC assassin. but that's the hardest part really.
we try to boycott it with presumptuous understanding of the author's intention. but sometimes, it fails.. though it seems easier to do.
P.S. I haven't implied anyone is wrong pls. in fact sir you are more right than me.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4260
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 17:47
OK; Cool; I understand; I appreciate you thinking.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:13
What does 'it is' refers to in D?
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Status: Single
Affiliations: None
Joined: 09 Dec 2016
Posts: 113
GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:19
kivalo wrote:
What does 'it is' refers to in D?


It refers to the computer making an action! :)

hope it helps
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 776
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 14:26
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


This question begs you to use common sense more so then advanced grammar rule- how can financial reports program a company-wide balance sheet? The pronoun should be correctly modifying "the computer." In B there is an ambiguous use of "it," so E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 205
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:46
can you please correct the question- the choice A has an error in the end. It does not exactly replicate what we have in the question.
_________________

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1289
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 06:33
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.

B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.

C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.

D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.

E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


Solution


The correct response is (D). This choice correctly uses the singular pronoun “it” to replace the noun “computer.” The construction is passive, but it avoids the grammatical and meaning issues in the other choices.

If you chose (A), this question hinges on meaning. The verb “program” tells us that it is the computer not the financial reports that are generating the balance sheet. A balance sheet cannot logically “program” something on its own.

If you chose (B), “named such” is an awkward construction, and the verb “demonstrated” is needlessly past-tense.

If you chose (C), “they” does not agree with its antecedent, “computer.” Pronouns must agree in number and plurality with the nouns they replace.

If you chose (E), “they” cannot refer to the singular “computer,” and it’s not logical that a financial report can “program.” It should be clear that the computer is doing the programming. Furthermore, “named such” is a somewhat awkward construction.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 214
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


Responding to a pm:

Note that (A), (C) and (E) are wrong in their usage of 'they'.
'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.


Hi Karishma,
in choice D, we have two it. One that refers to the compute and the other one to balance sheet. So,don't u think usage of it is ambiguous here. Kindly help
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8029
Location: Pune, India
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 22:02
sunny91 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.


Responding to a pm:

Note that (A), (C) and (E) are wrong in their usage of 'they'.
'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.


Hi Karishma,
in choice D, we have two it. One that refers to the compute and the other one to balance sheet. So,don't u think usage of it is ambiguous here. Kindly help


Please check this post: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/1 ... -sc-myths/
It gives a detailed explanation of the point raised using this very question.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 07:57
A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance. Incorrect Usage of they is incorrect. Also financial reports cannot be used to program...changes the meaning completely
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements. Named such usage is awkward
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements. Incorrect Usage of they is incorrect
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements. Correct even though usage is passive but grammatically and logically the sentence is correct
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance Incorrect Usage of they is incorrect
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2018, 07:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.