It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:35

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 10:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 15:15
It's only in verbal section that I get pissed off.
I read wrong explanation for the correct answer.
Financial report is generated and CAN BE USED to program balance sheet. Bringing extraneous meaning to disprove the grammar is really funny.
So named is right. Named Such is wrong.
I don't know why nobody pointed that out.
I've quickly noticed that SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else.
If you doubted that financial reports are used to programme balance sheet, then why would you believe that the computer is used?
Actually it is Programming Language that is used to programme things not the computer. or you can try to use your PC to programme without BASIC or C++ or ORACLE. Now that's wrong again. it is the programmer that programmes not the Language.
MY POINT: Look at the grammar rules not the critical reasoning. SC is a quite diff from CR. "Named such" ruled E out.
Would be hard to find such a clumsy statement as the correct answer in GMAT SC.
When it gets tough, start eliminating.
Thank you guys.
The answer is D.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 211

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
It's only in verbal section that I get pissed off.
I read wrong explanation for the correct answer.
Financial report is generated and CAN BE USED to program balance sheet. Bringing extraneous meaning to disprove the grammar is really funny.
So named is right. Named Such is wrong.
I don't know why nobody pointed that out.
I've quickly noticed that SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else.
If you doubted that financial reports are used to programme balance sheet, then why would you believe that the computer is used?
Actually it is Programming Language that is used to programme things not the computer. or you can try to use your PC to programme without BASIC or C++ or ORACLE. Now that's wrong again. it is the programmer that programmes not the Language.
MY POINT: Look at the grammar rules not the critical reasoning. SC is a quite diff from CR. "Named such" ruled E out.
Would be hard to find such a clumsy statement as the correct answer in GMAT SC.
When it gets tough, start eliminating.
Thank you guys.
The answer is D.

Kudos [?]: 156 [1], given: 211

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7884 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 00:11
Nej
Hi
I appreciate your point of view although I may have to differ from you. You seem to imply that Veritas is wrong in its interpretation that computer generates the reports saying that it is the programmer who does the job. Absolutely no issue about it.

But to say that In SC, we can relegate meaning behind grammar is untenable. Because you see, the meaning analysis is a recent insertion in SC before which probably GMAT was content with just grammar. Then why has GMAT brought this meaning factor into the picture and lately been giving equal weight or even more, to meaning? GMAT has made it clear that between two choices that may be grammatically correct, it is the ‘better – meaning’ one that wins the context. So you can see why meaning is indispensable and not subordinate to grammar in GMAT.

SC is not just mechanical but reasoning too IMO. In a similar argument, can we dispense with the reasoning in RC, because RC is about Comprehension?
The point of GMAT is not to look at things in disparate modules but take an integrated outlook.

This is just my philosophy although it is no reflection on your thesis. I do appreciate your point of view nevertheless, I repeat.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 01:58
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my leaps.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 02:00
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my lips.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?

Retired Moderator
P

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 02:45
Mr. Nez,
If you thought so, be that as it may. But your confirmation that D is the correct answer in spite of it being the wrong meaning points to your altered intention. In any case, why did you have to repeat your last message twice? Are you confused?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 12:33
You presume a knowledge of the author's knowledge.
How do you know which has the wrong meaning?
*laughing*
in your question.
certainly I'm not. But I would have asked same of me if I were you. you threw the coin back to me:
believe me it's a good thing to do sometimes.
ensures some balance.
The repetition anyway suggests confusion really.
But if you look deeper you are certain to find there was a correction in the post.
I thought you are great critical thinker. sorry, I mean to say "I'm sure" not "think".
In veritas: I cannot say they are wrong. no way. they probably have insider in GMAC or Pearson. who knows.
But if you follow strict GMAT grammar lexis rules you'd be an SC assassin. but that's the hardest part really.
we try to boycott it with presumptuous understanding of the author's intention. but sometimes, it fails.. though it seems easier to do.
P.S. I haven't implied anyone is wrong pls. in fact sir you are more right than me.

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 17:47
OK; Cool; I understand; I appreciate you thinking.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 01:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:13
What does 'it is' refers to in D?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 205

Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: None

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 46

GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:19
kivalo wrote:
What does 'it is' refers to in D?

It refers to the computer making an action! :)

hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 46

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 14:26
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

This question begs you to use common sense more so then advanced grammar rule- how can financial reports program a company-wide balance sheet? The pronoun should be correctly modifying "the computer." In B there is an ambiguous use of "it," so E is the answer.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:46
can you please correct the question- the choice A has an error in the end. It does not exactly replicate what we have in the question.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 03:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap