It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 377 [4], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:18) correct 65% (01:18) wrong based on 682 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Last edited by akhil911 on 07 Oct 2013, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 377 [4], given: 886

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 377 [2], given: 886

Reviews Badge
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official explanation

The correct response is (D). This choice correctly uses the singular pronoun “it” to replace the noun “computer.” The construction is passive, but it avoids the grammatical and meaning issues in the other choices.

If you chose (A), this question hinges on meaning. The verb “program” tells us that it is the computer not the financial reports that are generating the balance sheet. A balance sheet cannot logically “program” something on its own.

If you chose (B), “named such” is an awkward construction, and the verb “demonstrated” is needlessly past-tense.

If you chose (C), “they” does not agree with its antecedent, “computer.” Pronouns must agree in number and plurality with the nouns they replace.

If you chose (E), “they” cannot refer to the singular “computer,” and it’s not logical that a financial report can “program.” It should be clear that the computer is doing the programming. Furthermore, “named such” is a somewhat awkward construction.

Kudos [?]: 377 [2], given: 886

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

GMAT Date: 10-23-2013

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 09:01
In your OE you have mentioned D as the correct answer but the spoiler is set to E.

Please check

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 10:37
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

E is correct because, the idiom tested in this question is "So ... That" or "Such ....That".....

Correct idioms are

So X as to Y
So X that Y
Such X that Y..

In E, "they' correctly refers to "Financial Reports"....

company-wide balance sheet, named such because it (company-wide balance sheet) demonstrates that

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1003

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 10:43
GMAT40 wrote:
In your OE you have mentioned D as the correct answer but the spoiler is set to E.

Please check

yes, this is what I also noticed. I choose D and then the spoiled showed 'E' as the correct answer. Can you please double check the answer and repost the explanation in case there are any changes.

Thanks in advance !!

Best Regards,
RS

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1003

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 886

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 03:46
I have updated the correct answer , it was D but by mistake i had set it to E

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 886

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16894 [6], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
akhil911 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Note that (A), (C) and (E) are wrong in their usage of 'they'.
'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16894 [6], given: 230

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 02:07
I have a doubt.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet

In option D, both parts of main clause and subordinate clause are in passive voice, but subjects are not comparable.
As per my observation, subjects in subordinate clause and main clause must be comparable.

If sentence had been written as following it would have been much better.

Once the computer is used to generate financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I am not 100% sure that construction as in D is acceptable in official answers. Kindly help understand whether gmat is strict with comparable subject rule.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 229

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 832 [0], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 02:29
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet

In option D, both parts of main clause and subordinate clause are in passive voice, but subjects are not comparable.
As per my observation, subjects in subordinate clause and main clause must be comparable.

Once the computer is used to generate financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I am not 100% sure that construction as in D is acceptable in official answers. Kindly help understand whether gmat is strict with comparable subject rule.

I chose D because it was the best among the not so good answer choices...could you elaborate a bit more on what the rule is for main clause and sub ordinate clause...is it from MGMAT sc book??

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 832 [0], given: 724

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1810 [1], given: 229

GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 04:38
This post received
KUDOS
WoundedTiger wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.

I chose D because it was the best among the not so good answer choices...could you elaborate a bit more on what the rule is for main clause and sub ordinate clause...is it from MGMAT sc book??

Hi refer following questions :
mgmat:
rather-than-accept-the-conventional-wisdom-that-the-earth-54231.html
OG 11 Q86:
although-early-soap-operas-were-first-aired-on-evening-radio-19819.html

In these questions voice parallelism is the main reason that makes one choice acceptable to others.

In MGMAT SC chapter 7, Page 116, it is mentioned not to worry about active passive parallelism through out a sentence, but provided example describes 2 ICs connected with coordinating conjunction. Thus, for ICs connected with CC I can confirm not to worry about active passive parallelism, but it is required for sentence connected with subordinate conjunction. I am not a native and so I am not 100% sure how far we can stretch this rule. Sometimes back I asked Mike to help on this, but I forgot to followup further: refer following thread. I will PM him to explain this concept and exceptions on following thread.

inertia-gravity-waves-cause-characteristic-stripy-patterns-167234.html

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1810 [1], given: 229

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 16894 [0], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 20:40
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.

Often, subject of subordinate clause is the same as the subject of the main clause, but that is only because both usually talk about the same person/thing. It is not necessary for the two subjects to be the same. Check simple sentences:
I will go shopping unless it rains.
Don't leave before he comes.

The subjects are not the same but the sentences are correct.

Your sentence is better but that is the thing about SC - you will not always get what you want. If the answer is very obvious, then what will make it a difficult question? At higher levels, GMAT could play with correct but infrequently used structures and false beliefs of people such as 'passive voice is always wrong'.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16894 [0], given: 230

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 04:53
Hi! Could someone explain please? In choice D there are two pronouns it each referring -as far as I can understand the meaning of the sentence- to different nouns. First refers to computer and the second refers to balance sheet. Is it possible for the same pronoun in one sentence to refer to different antecedents? I can be wrong, but it seems to me that I came across this rule -one pronoun must refer to the same antecedent- several times. Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 09:33
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
akhil911 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.

I got the split between "they" and "it" wrong and so I eliminated options with "it" :(

My logic was that "financial reports" can be used to program a balance sheet. I did not want to change the original intent of the sentence and pick an option that states that "computer is used to program a company-wide balance sheet".''

I am assuming that below statement is correct
Financial reports are used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I know I am wrong and the OA does not have "they" in the sentence. If someone can help me understand why my logic in the above highlighted section is incorrect, it would help me avoid using such faulty logic in other sentences :)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 16894 [2], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Game wrote:
akhil911 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

I got the split between "they" and "it" wrong and so I eliminated options with "it" :(

My logic was that "financial reports" can be used to program a balance sheet. I did not want to change the original intent of the sentence and pick an option that states that "computer is used to program a company-wide balance sheet".''

I know I am wrong and the OA does not have "they" in the sentence. If someone can help me understand why my logic in the above highlighted section is incorrect, it would help me avoid using such faulty logic in other sentences :)

Note that "financial reports" cannot program (a verb) a balance sheet. They can be used by a computer while it is programming a balance sheet.
Hence, "financial reports" cannot be used to program a balance sheet.

These are accuracy in meaning errors. Harder to catch but tested a lot in GMAT nowadays.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16894 [2], given: 230

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 07:51
Game wrote:

Note that "financial reports" cannot program (a verb) a balance sheet. They can be used by a computer while it is programming a balance sheet.
Hence, "financial reports" cannot be used to program a balance sheet.

These are accuracy in meaning errors. Harder to catch but tested a lot in GMAT nowadays.

Thank you! Your explanation makes perfect sense now.
I use such statements all the time and that's what made it difficult for me to understand the error.

So, anyone else who is in the same boat
"Financial reports" can be used to program ... [Incorrect] -> The "thing" that can actually program is missing from the statement. Adding something like "by a computer" will make the sentence accurate. In the absence of the "thing", the sentence would mean - "Financial reports" can program and this is illogical.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 00:20
akhil911 wrote:

Choice D is correct.

Only choice B and D I considered because A,C, and E are wrong because of subject-verb agreement. "It" should be used instead of "they" because It refers to the computer. B is wrong because it used "demonstrated" as simple past tense.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 148

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 69

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 00:38

Can someone please clarify what it is reffering to? What is its antecedent? Is it a placeholder?

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 69

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 01:57
akhil911 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

I have a doubt -

"D" uses the same pronoun "it" twice but each refers to different noun (computer & balance sheet). Isn't it a pronoun ambiguity mistake?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [2], given: 204

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Last edited by broall on 25 May 2017, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 27 [2], given: 204

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 273 [2], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
D it is : Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.

faults in bold:

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.----->how can financial report be used to program something? (computers can be used)
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.---->wrong tense "demonstrated"
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.---->same error as A
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.----->correct
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.--->same error as in A

Kudos [?]: 273 [2], given: 61

Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2014, 05:41

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ]