It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Online MBA at UNC

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

Online MBA at UNC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 20:10
Hello,
I am looking for pros and cons of an online MBA at UNC. I am based in Houston ( University of Houston, Rice offer FT MBA here, however U of H isn't ranked well and I will have to wait until next year to apply at Rice) I was hoping to start my MBA soon. So my question are -

Is the learning experience more or less similar to a traditional FT program?
How much scholarship can you expect?
Post MBA jobs are similar to a traditional program ?

I would appreciate any suggestions/ advise

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Online MBA at UNC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 08:49
1. In my humble opinion, no online experience will be the same as in-class programs. However, the MBA@UNC program is pretty unique in that the same FT faculty teaches the classes, which are all synchronous 2-3 times a week. I attended one of the online classes and found it to be very interactive. You see all of the cohorts and the faculty on one side of your monitor, while you see the learning materials on the other. They also have "breakout rooms" set up for the teams to conduct live meetings and discussions for projects during and after class hours. The program also has 4 global immersions per year (2 is required for the program) where you obviously interact in person with your cohorts.

2. I'm using my GI Bill to cover my tuition, so I defer to other members for feedback on scholarships at KF.

3. I assume this question refers to the strength of an online degree vs traditional MBA as seen by employers. This depends on a lot of things, but here's my take. Most top schools, including KF, do not caveat their MBA degrees with "online" or "traditional". It's the same degree conferred to FT students. UNC, however, does distuinguish certificates received from its global partner schools when completing the Global EMBA (OneMBA) program, which I recently chose to attend. In this case, prospective employers will know that I was not a FT traditional MBA student when they see my degree. This may not matter much when looking for jobs that don't require travel oustide the U.S., but it expands my options when looking for global opportunities. I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy and I will always find a way to make something more positive to make it work for me, so I don't want to paint a rosier picture than it really is for your situation. I'm sure there are plenty others who have opinions from the other side of the fence. Here's a link that may be of interest to you: http://www.onlinemba.com/presenting-an-online-mba/.

Best of luck!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Concentration: International Business, Other
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 2.35
WE: Other (Military & Defense)
Re: Online MBA at UNC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 18:25
I had my MBA@UNC interview a couple weeks ago, currently waiting to hear back. As THB mentioned no online program is ever going to 100% replicate the in-person experience but from what I can tell--admittedly not a part of the program yet--MBA@UNC comes as close as possible, between the videoconferencing style of the classes and the frequent global immersions (one per quarter, every December in Chapel Hill, then one somewhere else in the US and 2 elsewhere in the world each year; you are required to take part in at least 2 to graduate but can get course credit for up to 4 and can participate in as many as time and budget allow).

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Online MBA at UNC   [#permalink] 16 May 2016, 18:25

Online MBA at UNC

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap