It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Optional Essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgia Tech, University of Georgia,
Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 06:29
I read in Gordon's MBA Admissions Strategy that adcoms almost assume the optional essay to be filled with excuses for poor gmat/gpa and we should try to fit this information into another essay. Would you recommend this practice? I could use the third essay to discuss my unique family background but I don't want to appear as if I am hiding from my less than stellar undergrad gpa. Please advise.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 1

Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Re: Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 13:24
Montouk's book has good examples of optional essays.

The general advice is, when the adcom is reviewing your entire package (essays, transcript, resume, recommendations) and there's anything questionable that's not explained or has no obvious explanation, the adcom will make their own assumptions and create their own story for you. That = very bad.

If you think there's a gap in anything - whether it's explaining poor grades or providing context about yourself that you weren't able to do anywhere else - then go ahead and use the optional essay to do that. Be careful though because the optional essay should only be used if you weren't able to address that topic anywhere else. Adcom doesn't want to read anything redundant.

In my case, I wrote an optional essay for Michigan about community service because it's very important to me and I didn't think the other essays allowed me to express that part about myself. The end result...I got in and received a partial scholarship!

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
http://gmatclub.com/forum/post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
http://gmatclub.com/forum/8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Schools: Georgia Tech, University of Georgia,
Re: Optional Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2009, 06:01
Thanks for your response. I was involved in a hefty amount of student activities and held many leadership positions. I didn't incorporate this into any of my other essays so I will use the optional essay to do so.

Congrats on the partial scholarship and good luck!

Re: Optional Essay   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2009, 06:01