Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Fosterx   Owenx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Re: Owen (100%) vs Foster (100%)?? [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for the input Mo2men and deabas!

Are there any other opinions on the pros/cons of either Foster or Owen? Both appear to be regional schools, so location is definitely a high consideration (especially in regards to where I want to start my business). But has anything else jumped out to anyone about the programs? Foster has risen quickly in the rankings recently - any reason to believe they won't still be this high for the foreseeable future? In contrast, Vanderbilt is a rather consistent name/brand - never going too high, never too low.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Owen (100%) vs Foster (100%)?? [#permalink]
Kudos
iammike385 wrote:
Thanks for the input Mo2men and deabas!

Are there any other opinions on the pros/cons of either Foster or Owen? Both appear to be regional schools, so location is definitely a high consideration (especially in regards to where I want to start my business). But has anything else jumped out to anyone about the programs? Foster has risen quickly in the rankings recently - any reason to believe they won't still be this high for the foreseeable future? In contrast, Vanderbilt is a rather consistent name/brand - never going too high, never too low.

Ranking is very subjective issue and all those schools are highly ranked.. I would prefer to look at other factors such program structure, capstone projects, innovation centers and industry partnership, thus consider all the factors that will boost your venture when you finis the program... Also it would be useful to look where you can find as many factors as you can start your venture when you finish. Search for successful ventures from each program as a measurement of program outcome!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Owen 2nd Year Here...

1. You are in a great spot. Congrats on the admits and schollies!

2. I think it is wise to get some work experience before you launch your own venture. With that in mind, take a good hard look at the employment reports from both schools. Knowing what kinds of job types and locations they place MBAs into is important. I would also try to get a feel for what companies do on-campus recruiting at both schools and for what roles.
Vandy - https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/employer ... report.cfm
U Dub - https://foster.uw.edu/careers/full-time- ... tatistics/

3. Visit both schools. I cannot tell you how important this is. My visit to Owen swayed me from the higher ranked school I was all set to attend. I was very impressed with the Career Management Center at Owen, I thought Vanderbilt was wonderful, and I LOVED Nashville. It has been a great two years. (Needless to say, this could be your experience, or you might find that Seattle is the kind of town where you'd like to plant your flag.)

4. If I were you, I would reach out to graduating MBAs at both schools to get a feel for their experience (especially those who went to your undergrad institution OR who have military backgrounds as they'll be able to best relate to your situation). If you ask them for the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly about their MBA experience, you will probably get some candid opinions and sage advice. This might help you figure out what is best for you.
Vandy - https://blogs.owen.vanderbilt.edu/armedforcesclub/
U Dub - https://depts.washington.edu/mbaclub/mb ... sociation/

Good luck!

Originally posted by teleste on 27 Mar 2016, 20:59.
Last edited by teleste on 01 Apr 2016, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Vanderbilt is stronger on East coast, Foster on West coast. Both schools have nice campuses. I personally prefer Nashville but I don't think you can go wrong.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think Foster fits your profile better, and I agree with your feeling. Seattle is growing like crazy (good and bad) - prices high for real estate and it has made it to the top 10 congested cities in the US. Amazon, Google, FB, Dropbox, and slew of other tech companies have opened offices, and lots of activity that resonates with Innovation. I feel it is also similar to the outdorsy culture of Denver and not pretentious.

I 100% agree about going out and making a school visit. It is a public school vs. private; so while some things may be better, i would not focus too much on hardwood floors or flush receptions - look at your fit with other applicants and current students. You will spend your next 2 years with them and you will be thrown with all of them in a group and have to do team projects - most annoying thing in the world :wink:

Not sure what kind of business you are looking to start/open but if web-related, this is a good spot. Also, makes sense if you are planning on staying West in the long term. One big downside - the weather; having moved from LA 6 years ago, it still bugs me.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Wow - thanks for all of the feedback! Really helpful stuff - I am going to visit both Welcome Days and make a decision from there. Luckily, I still have about 2 weeks until I need to make a decision. It is true, I don't think I can really go wrong - very thankful for these options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Foster seems like the answer for you. You can drive an hour and hike to Lake Serene (google it), a lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains, or you can drive 2 and hike at Mt. Rainier. Foster seems to have a bigger emphasis on entrepreneurship, too. Also, Paccar Hall is brand new and super nice. It's a much larger building than you'd think, based on the class size. However, Foster graduates generally stay in Washington. There's a lot of Colorada-like country in Washington, but if you want to actually go to Colorado, neither Owen or Foster are going to have strong networks there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
So, I'd disagree pretty strongly with whitman and thissideofparadise (and generally speaking, most feedback from a self-selected group of prospective students) on a couple of different points.

1) Vanderbilt is not a regional school. At all. Vanderbilt is a top-15 national program, and is generally recognized and respected as such. Yes, Owen has a different ranking (albeit one that is ascending rapidly, similar to Foster) than the parent brand, but outside of this forum and anyone who went to Wharton, nobody obsesses over rankings--they respect the overall institution. In Colorado, Owen is one of only a handful of programs from which DaVita pulls (HBS, Stanford, Duke, and Kellogg are most of the other names), and has a terrific network of people, though it's not as large. If you're looking at 2 programs under 200/class, you're not going to find huge networks in beta cities.

2) You'll have amazing scenery in Washington state. In Tennessee you have the Great Smoky Mountains (#1 visited national park in the US). With all due respect to Seattle, you won't find a hotter city right now than Nashville.

3) As a veteran, you'll be in good company at Owen. This could be a comfort, or you may want to be around more civilians, but the south has always been known as a welcoming home for those who have served.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts