GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Owen vs Kelley vs Schulich (IMBA)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Owen vs Kelley vs Schulich (IMBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 20:17
Hi All,

I have been lucky to secure admission acceptance from the following schools for MBA:

1. Owen (with good amount of)
2. Kelley (with significantly lesser vis-a-vis Owen)
3. Schulich's (IMBA - International MBA program)

My post MBA goal is two-folds - to either continue into consulting or transition to finance and to shift my long-term geographical base to either US (1st pref) or Canada (2nd pref). I am facing a hard time in deciding which one is better for me. Money is important for me as I will be taking funding for the balance part not covered by my savings and scholarship. Also, I am bit skeptical about US considering the political environment for immigrants. However, not sure how will it impact international MBA candidates.

Your suggestions and thoughts would be valuable for me in taking an informed and better decision.

Regards,
MBAsoul
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Owen vs Kelley vs Schulich (IMBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 22:34
Congratulations MBASoul on your hard work and the results it has yielded.

Taking your goals, finances, and political situation into consideration, Owen is probably the safest/best/most versatile bet.

P.S. Nobody really knows what will happen with the political situation or economy. Nobody has a crystal ball. So far yes, it looks bad, but who knows what will be in 2019 and 2020.

Congrats!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 01:36
I have the same intent - to relocate to whichever country I end up doing my MBA at.

I went to middle school, high school, and college in the States, so naturally, it was my first choice. However, upon researching all the H1B issues, I decided against it. Basically, you have to leave your future up to the luck of a draw in H1B lottery. Although the chances are not exactly low, I just could not take the risk. You get to enter the lottery twice, and in each drawing, you have about 30% chance of being selected. Using probability calculations, that works out to be 51% chance. Whether you take this chance or not is up to you.

You also have to consider the chances of being offered a job. A lot of American companies are reluctant to hire internationals due to the high chance of not being able to keep them after one year. Having to let employees go after one year is a huge setback to these companies. Therefore, you have an uphill battle to begin with. And then there is the issue of Green Card processing times. While your Green Card is under process, you are extremely limited in job changes, in both job position and employer. There seems to be a huge delay in Green Card processing times at the moment, and it can take years before you get yours.

Due to these reasons, I chose to go with a more secure option, which is Canada, although the average post-MBA salaries are lower compared to the US. After graduating from a 2-year MBA program, you are given a 3-year post graduation work permit, which is an open work permit that lets you work anywhere in Canada. There are also many options for applying for permanent residency, and you will most likely be able to file your application after 1 year of having full-time work experience under your belt.

It is ultimately up to you to decide which option suits you the best. I would like to advise you to do a lot of research and make a well-educated decision.

Best of luck!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 20:03
At Owen now. If you have specific questions, I can help answer them.

As far as finance positions go, are you looking at banking or corp fin roles?
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 21:34
PugLyfe wrote:

Hi PugLyfe,

Thanks for your note.

I have the following questions in my mind currently:

1. How are employers in management consulting and finance (banking) industry looking at international candidates as of today? Are international students facing issues in getting internships/ final job offer from companies in these industries?

2. As a back-up option, how practical is it to look at Canada for internship and employment, with an MBA from Owen? Based on my research on LinkedIn, I could see not more than 10 Owen alumni in Toronto.

I really appreciate your contribution in helping me take an informed decision.

Regards,
MBAsoul
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 14:56
MBAsoul wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:

Hi PugLyfe,

Thanks for your note.

I have the following questions in my mind currently:

1. How are employers in management consulting and finance (banking) industry looking at international candidates as of today? Are international students facing issues in getting internships/ final job offer from companies in these industries?

2. As a back-up option, how practical is it to look at Canada for internship and employment, with an MBA from Owen? Based on my research on LinkedIn, I could see not more than 10 Owen alumni in Toronto.

I really appreciate your contribution in helping me take an informed decision.

Regards,
MBAsoul

1-MBB's don't have any OCR at Owen. We typically send a couple of people there every year, but not many. Deloitte does sponsor international students and I'm pretty sure other consulting firms do as well. Banking is a bit trickier. Many banks do not sponsor. In my year, I don't think more than a handful of international students (maybe 2-3?) recruited for IB. I know one international student received an IB offer. Typically, you know whether the company sponsors for full-time positions prior to taking the internship. I know some international students do end up taking internships at firms that will ultimately not sponsor and they plan to recruit again for full-time work.

In general, international students have to put in more legwork because the company selection is more limited. I'd imagine you will face that problem regardless of where you go, but programs with more robust OCR may present more opportunities.

2- I don't think its practical at all. If you want to work in Canada, I'd really suggest looking at Canadian b-schools. Off the top of my head, I'm not aware of anybody interning or going to work full time in Canada.

-- In general, I think Kelley and Owen will likely offer similar employment outcomes and probably have similar recruiting. Vandy has good regional pull in the south, so cities such as Atlanta/Charlotte have plenty of Owen grads. With Kelley, I'd imagine you'll be looking at Chicago etc. If the scholarship at Owen is larger, that's where I'd go, but I may be biased ;).

If you have any other questions, I am happy to help.
Owen vs Kelley vs Schulich (IMBA)   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2017, 14:56

Owen vs Kelley vs Schulich (IMBA)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, jessepinkman, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap