GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oxford Said vs. Tepper vs. McCombs

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 57% [4]
  • 14% [1]
  • 28% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Oxford Said vs. Tepper vs. McCombs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 01:31
Hi All,

I have been accepted in Oxford Said and Tepper. Waiting to hear back on McCombs, but I am confident that I will get in there too.

No scholarship at Said or Tepper.

I have to make a decision within the next 2 weeks.

I am in consulting (based in Dubai) and wish to remain in consulting.

Which school to choose?

Considerations:
1. Oxford: brand wise is a league higher than both Tepper and McCombs. It's one year, so financially its cheaper plus the ROI would obviously be better (at least in the short term) than the US based schools. Program seems good. However on the flip side, their career placement seems not up to par with LBS and Judge.

2. Tepper: Prestige wise its perceived higher than McCombs. Program wise, it's the best of the three in my opinion. Fantastic electives, great options (experiential learning). Has analytics and digital in it's core which is great. Feeder into consulting and a larger area (north east) and most of the major cities in the US. Downside: City of Pittsburgh is hardly inspiring. and it's very expensive! $200,000 for the 2 years.

3. McCombs: Ranked similar to Tepper but Tepper prestige/brand wise is higher. Around 20,000 per year cheaper than Tepper which is significant and average salary out of the MBA is similar. ROI is better than Tepper. Also a decent feeder into consulting. The city of Austin is great compared to Pittsburgh. Downside: It seems its got a very regional vibe and a lot of students stay back in Texas. Program wise, Tepper is considerably better in my opinion.

Would love your thoughts! Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: Oxford Said vs. Tepper vs. McCombs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 06:54
Congrats on your admits. This is a tough choice, where do you want to end up, in the US or international? If in US, I really think you’re splitting hairs between Tepper and McCombs. I don’t think you can definitely say Tepper is a higher brand or more prestigious. They are completely peer schools ranked 17 and 19 (which really doesn’t mean any difference really).....they are essentially the same tier of schools. In this case I’d just go for the chowder alternative because brand wise they are peers.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 07:07
woody93 wrote:
Congrats on your admits. This is a tough choice, where do you want to end up, in the US or international? If in US, I really think you’re splitting hairs between Tepper and McCombs. I don’t think you can definitely say Tepper is a higher brand or more prestigious. They are completely peer schools ranked 17 and 19 (which really doesn’t mean any difference really).....they are essentially the same tier of schools. In this case I’d just go for the chowder alternative because brand wise they are peers.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for your response. US vs. UK or International isn't a determining factor for me. It's about landing a job in Tier 1 or 2 consulting firm after (I will be international in both those countries) . . It's about the depth of experience and learning . . and obviously, its about the brand which you carry forever.

You're right. You can't split between the 2 in terms of ranking. In fact, I am also waiting to hear back from McDonough (which is in the same category) . .

It just seems that in the US and international (where I live and more), Carnegie Mellon seems to be a more prestigious brand. Whereas UT although a fantastic school, is more regional and a lot of their placements are in Texas too . .

For the US schools:
Teppers program is better
McCombs is cheaper

and then there is Oxford :) ..
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 13:28
While there's no doubt that the "Oxford" brand carries weight some weight internationally, they seem to be spotty with placement into traditional fields such as consulting. They also don't afford you same networking/summer internship experience that is a staple of the US programs. Like the prior poster, I too think you are overvaluing the Tepper vs. Mccombs difference. They are peer schools and look to have equal placement, though neither is terribly transparent on their employment reports.

I would favor the two US options given your goals and preferences. From there its a tossup so go with fit or $.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Oxford Said vs. Tepper vs. McCombs   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2019, 13:28

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap