Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:14 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [36]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [22]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [5]

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]

Send PM
Re: Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent per [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In passages that are one, long paragraph, it can be helpful to split the passage up. In this explanation, the passage will be split into three sections:

• Section 1 from the start to “...underlies all organizational activities.”
  • Section 2 from “There is evidence that firms…” to “must also be considered.”
  • Section 3 from “One such factor…” to the end of the passage.

Here’s an example of how to break down this passage:

In the first section, the author presents the "traditional" explanation for downsizing.

• Firms claim that they downsize to be more economically competitive.
  • According to organization theory, this is an example of "economic rationality."

In the second section, the author argues AGAINST the "traditional" explanation

• New research shows that the actual economic effects of downsizing are often negative for firms.

In the third section, the author provides an alternate explanation for downsizing.

• Downsizing has become a "powerful business myth."
  • Managers believe in the myth, the press buys into it, and other key actors also respond favorably.

For more on the process of breaking down RC passages, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent per [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

2) The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. criticize firms for engaging in the practice of downsizing
B. analyze the negative economic impact of downsizing on firms
C. offer an alternative to a traditional explanation for the occurrence of downsizing
D. chronicle how perceptions of downsizing have changed over time
E. provide evidence disputing the prevalence of downsizing

OA:C , Could you please explain why not B?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi souvik101990 / GMATNinja / mikemcgarry,

3) The passage suggests which of the following about the
claim that a firm will become more efficient and
competitive by downsizing?
A. Few firms actually believe this claim to be true.
B. Fewer firms have been making this claim in recent years.
C. This claim contradicts the basic assumption of organization theory.
D. This claim is called into question by certain recent research.
E. This claim is often treated with skepticism by the business press.

Could you please explain why not B?

4)The passage suggests that downsizing’s mythic
properties can be beneficial to a downsizing firm
because these properties
A. allow the firm to achieve significant operating efficiencies
B. provide the firm with access to important organizing resources
C. encourage a long-term increase in the firm’s stock price
D. make the firm less reliant on external figures such as financial analysts and consultants
E. discourage the firm’s competitors from entering the global marketplace

OA:B Why not C?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
soa7 wrote:
Hi, can someone please just briefly give an idea why primary purpose is not D? I almost always get the primary purpose incorrect :(

"Firms traditionally claim that they downsize for economic reasons"
Then is there is a lot of details

"non-economic factors must also be considered"
Details follows

Hence The primary purpose is to offer an alternative to a traditional explanation for the occurrence of downsizing
Hope its clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for the detailed explanation GMATNinja! It's very clear now. :-D
I do not have any strategy in place for RC. I will practice concentrating more on the structure and see how my primary purpose questions go.
Thank you for the tip :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
On to your questions:

Quote:
C. offer an alternative to a traditional explanation for the occurrence of downsizing

Only a small sliver of the passage deals with the negative economic impact of downsizing, and there's really no analysis of the negative economic impact itself. It's only mentioned as evidence to debunk firms' traditional claims for the purpose of downsizing. The rest of the passage goes on to explain the real reasons for downsizing.

Quote:
Hi, can someone please just briefly give an idea why primary purpose is not D? I almost always get the primary purpose incorrect :(

There's really no mention of how perceptions of downsizing have changed over time. Sure, the passage references perceptions of downsizing -- the business press, for example, seems to love downsizing -- but those perceptions don't really change over time. Instead, the passage is focused on the alternative ("non-economic") reasons why firms downsize.

Hi GMATNinja

While I agree with the OA, even I was a bit doubtful between choices C and D on the CAT. While the passage does not definitely "chronicle" the changing perceptions over time, there is some time linkage as seen here:

- Moreover, downsizing nowadays is greeted favorably by the business press;...
- Once viewed as a sign of desperation, downsizing is now viewed as a signal that firms are serious about competing...

Let us know your views.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
While I agree with the OA, even I was a bit doubtful between choices C and D on the CAT. While the passage does not definitely "chronicle" the changing perceptions over time, there is some time linkage as seen here:

- Moreover, downsizing nowadays is greeted favorably by the business press;...
- Once viewed as a sign of desperation, downsizing is now viewed as a signal that firms are serious about competing...

Let us know your views.

I think you mostly answered your own question, shailabh! Sure, there are a few time references in the passage, but it's definitely an overstatement to say that the passage "chronicles" the perspectives of downsizing over time. And more importantly, it definitely isn't the primary purpose of the passage.

The tempting "trap answers" on RC primary purpose questions often look a little bit like this one: sure, the passage uses "time markers" when talking about downsizing, but the changes over time certainly aren't at the heart of the passage.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
I missed the second question, as got trapped in option D -
I missed the core of the argument also.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V19
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.45
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
This passage has one more question.
souvik101990 please incorporate it in the original post.
Attachments

New Microsoft Office Word Document (3).docx [567.1 KiB]
Downloaded 157 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Got 1 incorrect -10 mins including reading and solving.

GMATNinja , GMATNinja2
Kindly explain Ques.4->

because these properties
D. make the firm less reliant on external figures such as financial analysts and consultants

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
... yet recent research has shown that the actual economic effects of downsizing are often negative for firms. Thus, organization theory cannot adequately explain downsizing; non-economic factors must also be considered.

That's nice and clear: the author is saying that firms' traditional claim -- that downsizing is economically rational -- isn't really the whole story, and that we need to consider non-economic factors. This seems like a really, really key part of the passage. Continuing...

This is what threw me off. The "author" is not really saying this.

He is just citing a "research" that is saying this.

For primary purpose of the passage question, the answer is: offer an alternative to a traditional explanation for the occurrence of downsizing

I would have been more comfortable, had the answer been: cite a research offering an alternative to a traditional explanation for the occurrence of downsizing
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhinashgc wrote:
GMATNinja Could you please explain why Q5 answer is A??
Thanks

Here is the question stem for question #5: "The author would be most likely to agree that the treatment by the business press of changes in the stock prices of downsizing firms is misleading because the press tends to..."

Let's look at what the passage has to say about how the press treats downsizing firms:
Quote:
Moreover, downsizing nowadays is greeted favorably by the business press; the press often refers to soaring stock prices of downsizing firms (even though research shows that stocks usually rise only briefly after downsizing and then suffer a prolonged decline).

From this, we know that the press treats these firms "favorably" by focusing on "soaring stock prices."

The author goes on to say that downsizing firms receive this friendly treatment "even though research shows that stocks usually rise only briefly after downsizing and then suffer a prolonged decline." So, the author thinks that the press focuses on the short-term rise in stock prices, and ignores the "prolonged decline" in prices that usually follows.

Now, look at answer choice (A):
Quote:
(A) focus excessively on the short-term stock price movement of downsizing firms while paying insufficient attention to the long term

This answer choice closely mirrors the relevant piece of the passage -- the "short-term movement in stock price" refers to the initial "soaring stock prices" when a company downsizes, and the "long term" referenced in the answer choice refers to the "prolonged decline" mentioned in the passage. (A) is the correct answer for question #5.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Actually a reasonably interesting passage! And if you disagree, take some advice from a friend of mine: whenever you read RC, pretend that somebody you find incredibly attractive is reading this passage to you. Lol.

Anyway, whenever I start reading an RC passage, my main goal is to understand the structure of the argument. Why is each part of this passage there? I don't really give a crap about the details yet -- they'll be on the screen if I need them. I mostly just want to know how the author is constructing his or her argument.

This particular passage is a one-paragraph blob, but there's still some structure here. Let's break this sucker down sequentially -- since we'll need to understand the structure if we want to dive into the passage's primary purpose:
Quote:
Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent personnel cuts) for economic reasons,laying off supposedly unnecessary staff in an attempt to become more efficient and competitive. Organization theory would explain this reasoning as an example of the “economic rationality” that it assumes underlies all organizational activities. There is evidence that firms believe they are behaving rationally whenever they downsize; yet...

The author is just telling us about firms' traditional claims of downsizing in these first few sentences, and how it connects to organizational theory. And then the word "yet" catches my eye. Looks like we're heading for some sort of counter-claim...

Quote:
... yet recent research has shown that the actual economic effects of downsizing are often negative for firms. Thus, organization theory cannot adequately explain downsizing; non-economic factors must also be considered.

That's nice and clear: the author is saying that firms' traditional claim -- that downsizing is economically rational -- isn't really the whole story, and that we need to consider non-economic factors. This seems like a really, really key part of the passage. Continuing...

Quote:
One such factor is the evolution of downsizing into a powerful business myth: managers simply believe that downsizing is efficacious.Moreover, downsizing nowadays is greeted favorably by the business press; the press often refers to soaring stock prices of downsizing firms (even though research shows that stocks usually rise only briefly after downsizing and then suffer a prolonged decline).Once viewed as a sign of desperation, downsizing is now viewed as a signal that firms are serious about competing in the global marketplace;such signals are received positively by key actors—financial analysts, consultants, shareholders—who supply firms with vital organizing resources. Thus, even if downsizers do not become economically more efficient, downsizing’s mythic properties give them added prestige in the business community, enhancing their survival prospects.

And here we have an explanation of the non-economic factors: downsizing is "greeted favorably by the business press", it is "viewed positively by key actors", and its "mythic properties give [firms] added prestige in the business community." So even though downsizers don't become more economically efficient, there's a "powerful business myth" surrounding downsizing -- and that confers benefits to firms.

To summarize, the passage proceeds in this order:
    1) describes the traditional claim firms make about downsizing -- it's economically rational, as suggested by organization theory
    2) pivot: since economic consequences are negative, organization theory can't explain downsizing; need to consider non-economic factors
    3) explains those non-economic factors ("mythic properties give firms added prestige", etc.)

On to your questions:

Quote:

Only a small sliver of the passage deals with the negative economic impact of downsizing, and there's really no analysis of the negative economic impact itself. It's only mentioned as evidence to debunk firms' traditional claims for the purpose of downsizing. The rest of the passage goes on to explain the real reasons for downsizing.

Quote:

There's really no mention of how perceptions of downsizing have changed over time. Sure, the passage references perceptions of downsizing -- the business press, for example, seems to love downsizing -- but those perceptions don't really change over time. Instead, the passage is focused on the alternative ("non-economic") reasons why firms downsize.

Quote:

The passage mentions that the traditional claim (that downsizing leads to efficiency) is wrong, and discusses why firms nevertheless choose to downsize. There's no indication that firms have changed their behavior: "There is evidence that firms believe they are behaving rationally whenever they downsize... managers simply believe that downsizing is efficacious." Notice that both of these statements are in the present tense, so firms presumably still believe that downsizing leads to greater efficiency. ("Efficacious" is basically a pretentious synonym for "effective.")

Quote:
because these properties

OA:B Why not C?

(C) is directly contradicted by the passage:

Quote:
the press often refers to soaring stock prices of downsizing firms (even though research shows that stocks usually rise only briefly after downsizing and then suffer a prolonged decline)

Happy reading, everybody!

For question 3, the research is contradicting that downsizing doesnt help "economically" it never says that downsizing is not helping cos efficiency and say that firm will not be competitive with downsizing. infact after the result of the research the author goes on to explain that there could be other factors that could be deemed "significant" apart from economics.

Please clarify
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Mudit27021988 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The passage mentions that the traditional claim (that downsizing leads to efficiency) is wrong, and discusses why firms nevertheless choose to downsize. There's no indication that firms have changed their behavior: "There is evidence that firms believe they are behaving rationally whenever they downsize... managers simply believe that downsizing is efficacious." Notice that both of these statements are in the present tense, so firms presumably still believe that downsizing leads to greater efficiency. ("Efficacious" is basically a pretentious synonym for "effective.")

For question 3, the research is contradicting that downsizing doesnt help "economically" it never says that downsizing is not helping cos efficiency and say that firm will not be competitive with downsizing. infact after the result of the research the author goes on to explain that there could be other factors that could be deemed "significant" apart from economics.

Please clarify

Let's start with the first sentence of the passage: "Firms traditionally claim that they downsize (i.e., make permanent personnel cuts) for economic reasons, laying off supposedly unnecessary staff in an attempt to become more efficient and competitive."

From this sentence, we can infer that becoming more efficient/competitive IS an economic reason for downsizing, according to the traditional claim. So when the passage later tells us that "recent research has shown that the actual economic effects of downsizing are often negative for firms", this suggests that downsizing actually hurts a firm's efficiency and competitiveness.

So the passage suggests that the traditional claim is called into question by certain recent research.

Remember, the question specifically uses the word "suggests", so we are not looking for something that is explicitly stated in the passage or something that must be true. (D) is the best answer choice.

I hope this helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
3. The passage suggests which of the following about the claim that a firm will become more efficient and competitive by downsizing?

(A) Few firms actually believe this claim to be true.
(B) Fewer firms have been making this claim in recent years.
(C) This claim contradicts the basic assumption of organization theory.
(D) This claim is called into question by certain recent research.
(E) This claim is often treated with skepticism by the business press.

Hi AndrewN sir

Sorry for bringing your attention again on similar issue.

I have read GMATNinja ’s explanation above. I remember we need to understand from high level perspective . I have no doubts on why answer is D.

I wanted to clarify some points for option A. ( I find hard to eliminate A)

1. If the question says “passage suggests” then I need to take meaning from overall perspective as we have to take for Q3?

2. Should not the beginning of sentence should be “Firms traditionally claimeD xxx” . They used to claim before.

3. When I read first few lines , firms traditionally claim that they downsize xx.
Does traditionally claim not mean (actually) believe?

4. Since claim is in present tense, so even many companies agree that they are wrong still some companies may believe that downsizing is to become more efficient and competitive.
(since questions ask passage suggests so I may no need to find option that is directly given in passage but something that can be derived.)

5. IN order for A to be answer: If A were: Few firms traditionally claim, then this option could be true.
Or
If question were: Which of the claim is true?
Then A could have been answer?

Btw, How was your approach to eliminate A?
Some key words in option A? – “actually” ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
3. The passage suggests which of the following about the claim that a firm will become more efficient and competitive by downsizing?

(A) Few firms actually believe this claim to be true.
(B) Fewer firms have been making this claim in recent years.
(C) This claim contradicts the basic assumption of organization theory.
(D) This claim is called into question by certain recent research.
(E) This claim is often treated with skepticism by the business press.

Hi AndrewN sir

Sorry for bringing your attention again on similar issue.

I have read GMATNinja ’s explanation above. I remember we need to understand from high level perspective . I have no doubts on why answer is D.

I wanted to clarify some points for option A. ( I find hard to eliminate A)

1. If the question says “passage suggests” then I need to take meaning from overall perspective as we have to take for Q3?

2. Should not the beginning of sentence should be “Firms traditionally claimeD xxx” . They used to claim before.

3. When I read first few lines , firms traditionally claim that they downsize xx.
Does traditionally claim not mean (actually) believe?

4. Since claim is in present tense, so even many companies agree that they are wrong still some companies may believe that downsizing is to become more efficient and competitive.
(since questions ask passage suggests so I may no need to find option that is directly given in passage but something that can be derived.)

5. IN order for A to be answer: If A were: Few firms traditionally claim, then this option could be true.
Or
If question were: Which of the claim is true?
Then A could have been answer?

Btw, How was your approach to eliminate A?
Some key words in option A? – “actually” ?

You need not worry about bringing questions to my attention, imSKR. As long as I feel you are doing so in a respectful manner and that your questions are put forth to help you in your preparation, then I will keep answering them. It helps me become a better student of the test myself, not to mention a more informed tutor. In this case, (A) is directly contradicted in the passage. What information do we have about the claim that a firm will become more efficient and competitive by downsizing? Such a belief is outlined in the third sentence:

Quote:
There is evidence that firms believe they are behaving rationally whenever they downsize; yet recent research has shown that the actual economic effects of downsizing are often negative for firms.

We can thus deduce that firms think they are doing the right thing in choosing to downsize. It seems to me as if you latched onto the word claim and went fishing for an answer in the opening line of the passage instead. But we have discussed trying to force an answer before. When you twist and turn to try to fit information into what you want to be the answer, you are almost certainly going to make an incorrect conclusion.

Does the opening line need to say claimed? No. The firms still exist, and the claim is the sort of reasoning they may still use to justify downsizing, similar to saying that the French traditionally believe in Catholicism. Getting back to answer choice (A), the only way it could be correct is if the passage said something different, so we cannot speculate on what would make it true.

I hope that helps. Although I may not agree with GMATNinja about the level of engagement the material provides—I happen to like business passages the least on the GMAT™—I did manage to navigate the passage and questions without any trouble, spending a little extra time to check my answers before committing, particularly in the beginning. (My times were 2:18, 1:11, 1:17, 0:46, and 1:02.) And, in case you were curious, no, I did not picture any attractive person reading the passage to me, or my times would have been way worse and my accuracy all over the place.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 550 Q40 V30
Send PM
POE FOR QUESTION NUMBER 4

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts