Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 23:18 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 23:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51568 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 1
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q161 V169
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Anyone else struggling with the essays? :? I'm starting to wish I hadn't decided to apply to Stanford. My other application is practically done. This one though is killing me.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
What are you struggling with, specifically? Perhaps I can provide some guidance.

Aaliyah537 wrote:
Anyone else struggling with the essays? :? I'm starting to wish I hadn't decided to apply to Stanford. My other application is practically done. This one though is killing me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
What are you struggling with, specifically? Perhaps I can provide some guidance.

Aaliyah537 wrote:

Hi Erika! Its selecting the thing that matters most to me and going from there. I have two ideas, but then I frighten myself by imagining the admissions staff rolling their eyes at my essay.
Send PM
Expert Reply
The GSB adcom is looking for doers. So whichever thing you have done more about/taken the most action on to prove that it really is the thing that matters most to you, pick that one!

Hope that helps!

Aaliyah537 wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Aaliyah537 wrote:

Hi Erika! Its selecting the thing that matters most to me and going from there. I have two ideas, but then I frighten myself by imagining the admissions staff rolling their eyes at my essay.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That does help. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
HBS explicitly asks for the 3 most recent positions in their employment section, whereas Stanford does not specify - though they do mention internships. Are you listing all of your employers, even internships in college, and answering the short answer questions for each?

I have 4 years of post-grad work experience with 2 employers, and 3 positions. Then 3 internships during college summers, not even counting jobs I held during the year. That's a lot to write/a lot for them to read! Any guidance?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
The GSB adcom is looking for doers. So whichever thing you have done more about/taken the most action on to prove that it really is the thing that matters most to you, pick that one!

Hope that helps!

Hi Erika,

To follow up on this, I was wondering how much of the essay should be focused on 'why' and how much should be focused on 'examples'. Some of the essays I've read on Medium and from books answer this question by barely mentioning anything career/business related or not at all. Many talk about family background, childhood events, or a hobby for 95% of the essay. The way that I've currently set up my essay is 30% on the 'why' and 70% on the examples and the future, which I feel is too professionally focused not feel-good/inspirational/lovey-dovey enough.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q37 V49
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Is anyone else applying to Stanford's Knight Hennessy Scholarship? The application is very similar so I'm wondering if I can have the same recommenders, make slight changes to my main essays and then use those, etc.
Send PM
Expert Reply
It totally depends on what your answer to "What matters most" is. For many people, it's not something that involves what they do in their professional career -- for others, it is. So I would caution you to not worry about what others have done because that will likely steer you in the wrong direction if you're trying to "be like" other successful responses.

You have to be true to yourself. The essay does NOT have to be inspirational/"lovey-dovey" at all -- it should reflect your honest answer and your personality. I assure you that I have seen successful candidates run the entire gamut of tones and topics, but the one thing that they had in common was authenticity and self-awareness. The adcom can smell BS from a mile away. If something related to your work is what matters most and you're usually a fairly serious person, do NOT try to be something you're not. Diversity in the classroom comes in many ways, including diversity in personalities,
so be yourself.

Good luck!

latempo wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Hope that helps!

Hi Erika,

To follow up on this, I was wondering how much of the essay should be focused on 'why' and how much should be focused on 'examples'. Some of the essays I've read on Medium and from books answer this question by barely mentioning anything career/business related or not at all. Many talk about family background, childhood events, or a hobby for 95% of the essay. The way that I've currently set up my essay is 30% on the 'why' and 70% on the examples and the future, which I feel is too professionally focused not feel-good/inspirational/lovey-dovey enough.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Could someone help me with P4D fellowship? I don't think that I thoroughly understand it. :(
What is the purpose and how does it help and international student from Asia? Any binding circumstances?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51568 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
Could someone help me with P4D fellowship? I don't think that I thoroughly understand it. :(
What is the purpose and how does it help and international student from Asia? Any binding circumstances?

Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to be a candidate for the P4D Fellowship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
atlashugged wrote:
HBS explicitly asks for the 3 most recent positions in their employment section, whereas Stanford does not specify - though they do mention internships. Are you listing all of your employers, even internships in college, and answering the short answer questions for each?

I have 4 years of post-grad work experience with 2 employers, and 3 positions. Then 3 internships during college summers, not even counting jobs I held during the year. That's a lot to write/a lot for them to read! Any guidance?

Bump on this.

I'm in a similar situation, with 3 positions post-grad. My other internships are not included in my resume. Any advice on whether or not to include?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51568 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ykz wrote:
atlashugged wrote:

Bump on this.

I'm in a similar situation, with 3 positions post-grad. My other internships are not included in my resume. Any advice on whether or not to include?

I think internships do not really fall under work the work experience section. I did not include mine as

1. It was quite some time back.
2. Compared to my FT work, it had little impact.
3. I do not want to fatigue the reader with anything that is not stellar.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51568 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ykz wrote:
atlashugged wrote:

Bump on this.

On closer look, GSB has specific instructions for internships, so you SHOULD write them :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q37 V49
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
How long does it take to reflect a reference letter as submitted? My recommender said he submitted it but I still see the status as notified after a few hours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Stanford explicitly said round 2 has gotten more competitive vs round 1. Has this been explicitly said before? Makes what seems like a long shot even longer

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/m ... /deadlines

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
TechSA wrote:
How long does it take to reflect a reference letter as submitted? My recommender said he submitted it but I still see the status as notified after a few hours.

I got an email from Stanford immediately after one of my recommender sent his. (I was sitting in his office)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts