Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 16:14 It is currently 28 May 2024, 16:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51549 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Hey, guys!

Could anyone who was denied share his or her video, linkedin profile?
Alum
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

Why would you want that though? I mean how do you think would it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
M@Arya wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Just finished my interview. Probably my weakest interview ever :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Who did u interview with and what was your time slot ?

Check PM

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

I'm aiming for R2 and I think those videos could help me and others to get some insights.
Linkedin profiles would help me to understand how to tune mine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Sloan '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
did not receive an email

Denied without Interview on: 2017/11/02
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 720, Q49, V40
WE: 36 months
Industry: Consumer Products
Decision Received on: 2017/11/02
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
sok wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

I'm aiming for R2 and I think those videos could help me and others to get some insights.
Linkedin profiles would help me to understand how to tune mine.

I don't think dinged profiles are going to do you any good. There were no views on my linkedin profile from Sloan or from any private profile in that duration so that deems it useless. Also, it is hard to pin point one thing that resulted in the ding so even if you apply the reverse that "I should probably not do this", it could be more dangerous.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
I second @procman I was extended an invitation to interview but my LinkedIn profile was given the silent treatment. I’m not complaining because I don’t think my LinkedIn would have conveyed more than my resume. Plus my video was not production magic. It was REALLY basic speaking to the webcam though my content was a mix of professional and personal introduction. It’s impossible to carve out specific things that helped or hurt you but if I had been dinged early on I would have blamed my video.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
I talked about going to breweries in Boston in my video and I got an interview. Don't overthink it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Filthydelphia souvik101990

Would you guys be able to provide an overview of how the interviews generally went?

In hindsight, anything in particular you would do to prepare?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
jegsith wrote:
Filthydelphia souvik101990

Would you guys be able to provide an overview of how the interviews generally went?

I am hesitant to say anything because your experience may vary depending on the interviewer's style and what they want to focus on/have questions about with your application. With that said, my interview was shorter than I had expected. It was 45 minutes but we really only touched on a few things in that time. Questions were behavioral and neither my cover letter, video, or interview essay were brought up. Very straight forward interview.

I do not know how much preparation is going to help you beyond just knowing your professional career well, which you should know! However, I would still spend a half hour looking over your resume and just reminding yourself of the positions you had and what you did so that they're still fresh on your mind in case you need to recall an experience from a few years back. Equally cliche but it's important to be able to vocalize why MIT Sloan and then have some questions for the end.

For me personally, I do not think any additional preparation would have helped simply because behavioral questions are so hard to predict. I had thought of situations that applied to some common questions (resolving a conflict, rallying a team, etc.) but they did not really come into play. I had to think of situations that applied to the questions on the fly, which is why I say it is more important to have a good grasp on your own career and experiences than worrying about how they fit into particular behavioral question archetypes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Filthydelphia wrote:

I am hesitant to say anything because your experience may vary depending on the interviewer's style and what they want to focus on/have questions about with your application. With that said, my interview was shorter than I had expected. It was 45 minutes but we really only touched on a few things in that time. Questions were behavioral and neither my cover letter, video, or interview essay were brought up. Very straight forward interview.

I do not know how much preparation is going to help you beyond just knowing your professional career well, which you should know! However, I would still spend a half hour looking over your resume and just reminding yourself of the positions you had and what you did so that they're still fresh on your mind in case you need to recall an experience from a few years back. Equally cliche but it's important to be able to vocalize why MIT Sloan and then have some questions for the end.

For me personally, I do not think any additional preparation would have helped simply because behavioral questions are so hard to predict. I had thought of situations that applied to some common questions (resolving a conflict, rallying a team, etc.) but they did not really come into play. I had to think of situations that applied to the questions on the fly, which is why I say it is more important to have a good grasp on your own career and experiences than worrying about how they fit into particular behavioral question archetypes.[/quote]

Thanks man, that is really helpful. Seems like going over resume in detail and prepping behavioural situations is ideal to help cover bases.

Good luck on the outcome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Can I ask what kind of outfit is appropriate for the interview for female? They just said 'business attire' in their email but I think that is a bit vague.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
huangfangze wrote:
Can I ask what kind of outfit is appropriate for the interview for female? They just said 'business attire' in their email but I think that is a bit vague.
Thanks!

Black/navy skirt or pant suit with a simple, solid color blouse or button down. Otherwise, you could probably do a simple black/gray/blue dress (mid-thigh or longer, with tights) with a blazer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM

Reminder for those applying for the Dual MIT MBA Program with Harvard Kennedy School -- the deadline to apply to HKS is December 4th!

It's a really great program for those who (1) want to have careers that bridge the public and private sectors, (2) those who want to do work in government service later in their career, and (3) those who want the benefit of the MIT and Harvard networks (thereby becoming the masters of Cambridge). The dual degree program with MIT is especially great because it's quite big (lots of HKSers apply to MIT Sloan once they start), you can keep the same apartment in Boston for three years, and you can switch into HKS's liberating MPA program (with no degree requirements!)

We put together this handy article all about the various programs at the Harvard Kennedy School, including an overview of the degrees offered and the application requirements. Hope you find it helpful!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
I just wanted to give my interview experience:

I went into the smallish admissions room and I was waiting for over an hour with the different interviewees. Every single one was a Consultant or Banker from huge firms. Our interviews were staggered, 15 minutes apart.

There was a lunch with students, which was very nice. I was a little bit more nervous due to the impending interview. I went back into the waiting room to study after that.

The interview started and it was incredibly casual. I had planned for questions about my GPA, job transitions, the additional essay, and why I, as a re-applicant, was more prepared this year as opposed to last. I got the sense that all interviewers asked "What, if anything, has changed since you submitted your application?" I took the opportunity to mention a new leadership experience at work, but I punctuated it with something interesting/fun that had happened to me recently. This was actually something she had done recently and we talked for a couple of moments about this mutual activity. This didn't last too long before I was asked a few standard behavioral questions that I had practiced for: "A time you received negative feedback." "A time you lead oppositional members of a team." Etc.

Then, in a bit of a curveball, I was asked about my goals and how I could achieve them at Sloan. I hadn't practiced much for it because I wasn't expecting it at Sloan, but my other interviews helped me here.

Overall I thought the experience was great! I felt comfortable, I felt loose, and most importantly, I think my passion shone through. Have a personality and don't be a business machine would be my advice. Very few people are, but don't get tense in the moment and forget that they want to get to know you, not the physical embodiment of your professional resume.

I really do hope that I get in as I felt the experience went very well. I loved the environment and all the students were very friendly, outgoing, and down to earth. Hopefully that helps for anyone waiting for an interview or anyone looking at Sloan in general. Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully we all get good news on the 19th!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnthonyV wrote:
I just wanted to give my interview experience:

I went into the smallish admissions room and I was waiting for over an hour with the different interviewees. Every single one was a Consultant or Banker from huge firms. Our interviews were staggered, 15 minutes apart.

There was a lunch with students, which was very nice. I was a little bit more nervous due to the impending interview. I went back into the waiting room to study after that.

The interview started and it was incredibly casual. I had planned for questions about my GPA, job transitions, the additional essay, and why I, as a re-applicant, was more prepared this year as opposed to last. I got the sense that all interviewers asked "What, if anything, has changed since you submitted your application?" I took the opportunity to mention a new leadership experience at work, but I punctuated it with something interesting/fun that had happened to me recently. This was actually something she had done recently and we talked for a couple of moments about this mutual activity. This didn't last too long before I was asked a few standard behavioral questions that I had practiced for: "A time you received negative feedback." "A time you lead oppositional members of a team." Etc.

Then, in a bit of a curveball, I was asked about my goals and how I could achieve them at Sloan. I hadn't practiced much for it because I wasn't expecting it at Sloan, but my other interviews helped me here.

Overall I thought the experience was great! I felt comfortable, I felt loose, and most importantly, I think my passion shone through. Have a personality and don't be a business machine would be my advice. Very few people are, but don't get tense in the moment and forget that they want to get to know you, not the physical embodiment of your professional resume.

I really do hope that I get in as I felt the experience went very well. I loved the environment and all the students were very friendly, outgoing, and down to earth. Hopefully that helps for anyone waiting for an interview or anyone looking at Sloan in general. Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully we all get good news on the 19th!

Thanks for sharing, man. You seem to have scored a bunch of STRONG interviews this year. Were you invited to interview at Sloan last year too?
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the debrief and best of luck for the rest of the process!

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23  ...  35   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6951 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts