GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 20:54
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
jerfted wrote:
henry19921992 wrote:
Honestly don't know what went wrong...
Sloan is my dream school.
Graduated from the top university in China at top 15% in my department. American fortune 500 company, two promotions in two year, and a 750 gmat.
And I am pretty sure that my cover letter demonstrated fit with their culture as requested with examples closely related to my focused career path.
And I took a 16 hour flight to visit campus in May!!!! And I am a re-applicant! So pretty strong commitment right? (last year to LGO with only one-tear experience, maybe stretched too much)
Completely shocked and devastated by the ding......Anybody wanna share some thoughts?

Denied without Interview on: 2017/11/03
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 750, Q50, V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: 36 months
Industry: Consulting
Submited on: 2017/09/25
Decision Received on: 2017/11/03

Maybe your video played a role in the decision? It could have just been a "fit" issue.

Certainly your stats are good enough to get you in. It may have come down to execution / cover letter and video style. Sloan also has a very small class so they cannot accept everyone who is qualified. Sometimes it is a numbers / odds game. That said your profile looks great on paper so I would be curious to look at your application and see what happened. Any interview invites at other schools?

Best,
Scott

Thanks Scott. I got interview invite from Tuck and LBS. PM you on application?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 22:10
Filthydelphia wrote:
zuzaroni wrote:
ag111 wrote:
The portal says only 350 will get selected from 5,500 applicants

Is that 350 out of 5500 selected to interview or for admittance? Where exactly did you see this?

350 out of approximately 5500 applicants will be admitted. This was in the regret mail that dinged applicants got from Rod Garcia.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 15:59
Invited to Interview on: 11/02/2017
GMAT: 690, Q46, V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: 5yrs
Submited on: 2017/09/25
Invited on: 2017/11/02
Industry : Non Profit and Goverment

Will interview at the McKinsey & Co Office in DTLA
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 06:18
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 06:25
souvik101990 wrote:
Just finished my interview. Probably my weakest interview ever :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

I have seen enough comments from people who felt they did badly in the interview but got accepted to believe that most people aren't good at assessing their own preformance. The important thing to remember is what you think doesn't matter; it's what the interviewer thinks.

On that note, I too have my interview with Sloan today. On my way to Cambridge.
BSchool Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 06:56
souvik101990 wrote:

Hey, what went wrong? Was it an Alum interview? Do you mind sharing the details?

Filthydelphia wrote:
Most people aren't good at assessing their own preformance. The important thing to remember is what you think doesn't matter; it's what the interviewer thinks.

Exactly! Don't lose heart man. Not until you hear from the school itself. Sloan has a great interview conversion rate, remember? So, you are not dusted yet.

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 07:10
Filthydelphia wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

I have seen enough comments from people who felt they did badly in the interview but got accepted to believe that most people aren't good at assessing their own preformance. The important thing to remember is what you think doesn't matter; it's what the interviewer thinks.

On that note, I too have my interview with Sloan today. On my way to Cambridge.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 08:18
souvik101990 wrote:

Who did u interview with and what was your time slot ?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 12:49
Just got done my interview. No idea how it went so now it's just a waiting game until mid December.

Do you guys usually send a thank you note?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 12:50
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:08
Hey, guys!

Could anyone who was denied share his or her video, linkedin profile?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:09
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

Why would you want that though? I mean how do you think would it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:27
M@Arya wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Who did u interview with and what was your time slot ?

Check PM

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:46
souvik101990 wrote:
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

I'm aiming for R2 and I think those videos could help me and others to get some insights.
Linkedin profiles would help me to understand how to tune mine.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 16:23
did not receive an email

Denied without Interview on: 2017/11/02
GMAT: 720, Q49, V40
WE: 36 months
Industry: Consumer Products
Decision Received on: 2017/11/02
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 21:49
sok wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
sok wrote:
Hey, guys!

I'm aiming for R2 and I think those videos could help me and others to get some insights.
Linkedin profiles would help me to understand how to tune mine.

I don't think dinged profiles are going to do you any good. There were no views on my linkedin profile from Sloan or from any private profile in that duration so that deems it useless. Also, it is hard to pin point one thing that resulted in the ding so even if you apply the reverse that "I should probably not do this", it could be more dangerous.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 21:53
I second @procman I was extended an invitation to interview but my LinkedIn profile was given the silent treatment. I’m not complaining because I don’t think my LinkedIn would have conveyed more than my resume. Plus my video was not production magic. It was REALLY basic speaking to the webcam though my content was a mix of professional and personal introduction. It’s impossible to carve out specific things that helped or hurt you but if I had been dinged early on I would have blamed my video.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 05:19
I talked about going to breweries in Boston in my video and I got an interview. Don't overthink it.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford '20 (S)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 08:27
Filthydelphia souvik101990

Would you guys be able to provide an overview of how the interviews generally went?

In hindsight, anything in particular you would do to prepare?
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 17:56
This post received
KUDOS
jegsith wrote:
Filthydelphia souvik101990

Would you guys be able to provide an overview of how the interviews generally went?

In hindsight, anything in particular you would do to prepare?

I am hesitant to say anything because your experience may vary depending on the interviewer's style and what they want to focus on/have questions about with your application. With that said, my interview was shorter than I had expected. It was 45 minutes but we really only touched on a few things in that time. Questions were behavioral and neither my cover letter, video, or interview essay were brought up. Very straight forward interview.

I do not know how much preparation is going to help you beyond just knowing your professional career well, which you should know! However, I would still spend a half hour looking over your resume and just reminding yourself of the positions you had and what you did so that they're still fresh on your mind in case you need to recall an experience from a few years back. Equally cliche but it's important to be able to vocalize why MIT Sloan and then have some questions for the end.

For me personally, I do not think any additional preparation would have helped simply because behavioral questions are so hard to predict. I had thought of situations that applied to some common questions (resolving a conflict, rallying a team, etc.) but they did not really come into play. I had to think of situations that applied to the questions on the fly, which is why I say it is more important to have a good grasp on your own career and experiences than worrying about how they fit into particular behavioral question archetypes.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 17:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  34    Next  [ 680 posts ] 

Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap