Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V46
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
bee920 wrote:
sprinni wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
Does anyone know why Kellogg is not transparent about its interview waiver policy? It seems that the consensus here is waiver = ding, unless you get a Skype interview, but the school denies this.

Why is this the case?

I agree. I have not seen one interview, post waiver. Unless they ask candidates not to share, everything points to waiver = ding. Shame there isn’t any transparency, especially given the effort so many people have put into applications.

Posted from my mobile device

Well, given that Kellogg's acceptance rate is ~20%, it's safe to say that an interview is still 80% chance of a ding (assuming waivers and interviews are dispersed without regard to interest -- which Kellogg implies when they say that receiving a waiver is solely based on location and availability of interviewers). We have all put a lot of effort into our applications and while it is frustrating to receive a waiver, rest easy knowing that the vast majority of people who did interview will still end up being dinged. The interview will not make or break anyone because if the decision came down to that close of a call, then they would have certainly scheduled Skype interviews for those on the bubble. We truly need to take Kellogg at their word on this. Hopefully that makes sense and makes you feel better! It is definitely frustrating to feel like you have no sense of Kellogg's interest in you, especially when comparing to other schools' practices of showing genuine interest. I will say that Kellogg's practice has certainly been the most confusing/frustrating/impossible-to-decode in my experience this year. Good luck to all!

Fair points, Bee. And I do agree. I think people struggle with the fact that the AdCom comes out and says that a waiver has no impact on one's candidacy. No one takes issue with this. I think the real issue comes from applicants assuming that all admitted students will, at some point, be interviewed. When there are no reported interviews post waiver, applicants assume ding. Seems like a fair assumption given the facts.

Unless the video questions give the AdCom enough comfort over one's fit with the program...

Regardless, it all ends in 8 days.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
sprinni wrote:
bee920 wrote:
sprinni wrote:
[quote="redalertmba"]Does anyone know why Kellogg is not transparent about its interview waiver policy? It seems that the consensus here is waiver = ding, unless you get a Skype interview, but the school denies this.

Why is this the case?

I agree. I have not seen one interview, post waiver. Unless they ask candidates not to share, everything points to waiver = ding. Shame there isn’t any transparency, especially given the effort so many people have put into applications.

Posted from my mobile device

Well, given that Kellogg's acceptance rate is ~20%, it's safe to say that an interview is still 80% chance of a ding (assuming waivers and interviews are dispersed without regard to interest -- which Kellogg implies when they say that receiving a waiver is solely based on location and availability of interviewers). We have all put a lot of effort into our applications and while it is frustrating to receive a waiver, rest easy knowing that the vast majority of people who did interview will still end up being dinged. The interview will not make or break anyone because if the decision came down to that close of a call, then they would have certainly scheduled Skype interviews for those on the bubble. We truly need to take Kellogg at their word on this. Hopefully that makes sense and makes you feel better! It is definitely frustrating to feel like you have no sense of Kellogg's interest in you, especially when comparing to other schools' practices of showing genuine interest. I will say that Kellogg's practice has certainly been the most confusing/frustrating/impossible-to-decode in my experience this year. Good luck to all!

Fair points, Bee. And I do agree. I think people struggle with the fact that the AdCom comes out and says that a waiver has no impact on one's candidacy. No one takes issue with this. I think the real issue comes from applicants assuming that all admitted students will, at some point, be interviewed. When there are no reported interviews post waiver, applicants assume ding. Seems like a fair assumption given the facts.

Unless the video questions give the AdCom enough comfort over one's fit with the program...

Regardless, it all ends in 8 days.[/quote]

If you don’t interview you are not admitted. If you get a waiver you would need to be invited to interview later on in the process to be admitted. Very few people on gmatclub receive interviews after being waived. I think this is because of most gmatclub users that receive waivers are international candidates that are more likely to be waived and the fact that admission is more difficult for international candidates. I believe this skews the perception on the number of waived candidates who then receive interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q165 V166
Send PM
If you don’t interview you are not admitted. If you get a waiver you would need to be invited to interview later on in the process to be admitted. Very few people on gmatclub receive interviews after being waived. I think this is because of most gmatclub users that receive waivers are international candidates that are more likely to be waived and the fact that admission is more difficult for international candidates. I believe this skews the perception on the number of waived candidates who then receive interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/quote]

So there's absolutely nobody in the history of Kellogg that got accepted after being waived and then not invited to a Skype interview? Zero?

Originally posted by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 06:35.
Last edited by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 06:47, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
redalertmba wrote:

Well, I'm domestic. In the nation's capital. I must've really botched the essays.
Director
Director
Send PM
redalertmba wrote:

So there's absolutely nobody that got accepted after being waived and then not invited to a Skype interview?[/quote]

Correct. You have to interview to be admitted.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FuturePM91 wrote:
redalertmba wrote:

So there's absolutely nobody that got accepted after being waived and then not invited to a Skype interview?

Correct. You have to interview to be admitted.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/quote]

Then why is the school not up front about this? Nowhere on the website nor on the communications from the school does Kellogg talk anything about this.

In comparison, Ross has an early ding policy. Kellogg should think about something similar. Is the 'waiver' an almost PC way of saying 'ding'?

Thanks to Kellogg's lack of honesty about its admissions policy, I'm still waiting. A sort of 'hope torture'. I'm only human; I can't not wait, and not hope. A few of those waiting days freed up could have allowed me to apply to another school in R3. Alas, Kellogg still keeps me waiting, because in the very unlikely case that I get something positive from Kellogg, then I probably won't apply to another school. Do you see what I'm saying?

An early ding could have helped me shape my plans differently. Which is the whole point of Ross's early ding, to let applicants focus on other things.

Originally posted by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 06:46.
Last edited by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 06:55, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If it's their way of offering an early ding and they won't come out and state as much upfront, I want nothing to do with it. I'll gladly move on. But to string people along for months after they've been invested in this process...

Ross' transparency sets them apart.

Mind you, not one reported post-waiver interview on any of these sites.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Anyone doing one of Kellogg's dual degree programs? It looks like the school has two options: Northwestern JD, MS in Design Innovation

If you're on the fence, maybe this article on the Pros and Cons of such programs can help you decide.
Director
Director
Send PM
I don’t think Kellogg has been at all dishonest about their process. I get the frustration of waiting after getting a waiver but they clearly state the waiver process on their website. A waiver is not a ding. Their policy is that they will not read an application before an interview is completed. In some cases and interview cannot be scheduled due to logistics and minimal resources. For those candidates they give a waiver so that they can review your application. If after they review your application they are interested they will issue an interview invitation. People do get interviews after being waived. It has happened before on gmatclub in previous admissions seasons.

Again the process is clearly outlined on their website and in their communications.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
Send PM
Kellogg is only interviewing roughly 20%-30% of the remaining waived candidates. Only something like 15% of candidates get waived. So it’s not that surprising that we wouldn’t have many people posting post waiver interview invites.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
I don’t think Kellogg has been at all dishonest about their process. I get the frustration of waiting after getting a waiver but they clearly state the waiver process on their website. A waiver is not a ding. Their policy is that they will not read an application before an interview is completed. In some cases and interview cannot be scheduled due to logistics and minimal resources. For those candidates they give a waiver so that they can review your application. If after they review your application they are interested they will issue an interview invitation. People do get interviews after being waived. It has happened before on gmatclub in previous admissions seasons.

Again the process is clearly outlined on their website and in their communications.

Thank you for replying to our concerns.

So the other day I did ask this question to the Ad office. Their answer was :

=============================================================================
Dear Kellogg Admissions,

I haven't heard back from you yet, but I've heard that if you aren't offered a Skype interview after the waiver, you will be denied admissions, since everyone who is admitted is in the end, interviewed before they are admitted.

Is this true?

Thank you

Hi -,

Thank you for reaching out. The interview is only one component of the admissions process and does not serve as an indicator for admission or not. Please note that each file is given a thorough review, and if we feel an interview would be helpful in further assessing a candidate or would aid in rendering a decision, we will contact the applicant to schedule a Skype interview. However, we cannot provide information as to if or when a candidate may receive an invitation for a Skype interview.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Bobby Ganzer
Interview Coordinator
===========================================================================

To me, this sounds like one of two things :

1. Either a post-waiver interview is given only when the candidate is on the borderline. Some waived candidates may be accepted without a Skype interview.

2. Yes, of course if you don't get a post-waiver Skype interview invite, you're dinged, but we're not going to tell you that it is this way, for some reason you don't need to know.

Am I stupid and not getting something, or is gmatclub making presumptions that the school can't confirm, or is gmatclub correct and Kellogg lacks the directness to tell candidates they're dinged, and doesn't really care that they are waiting? Is Evanston a particularly PC neighborhood? I have co-workers who went to Northwestern but they don't seem that opaque.

Originally posted by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 16:21.
Last edited by redalertmba on 21 Mar 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
Kellogg is only interviewing roughly 20%-30% of the remaining waived candidates. Only something like 15% of candidates get waived. So it’s not that surprising that we wouldn’t have many people posting post waiver interview invites.

My contention is if you're correct, the school is not being transparent enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

Dear Kellogg Admissions,

I haven't heard back from you yet, but I've heard that if you aren't offered a Skype interview after the waiver, you will be denied admissions, since everyone who is admitted is in the end, interviewed before they are admitted.

Is this true?

Thank you

Hi -,

Thank you for reaching out. The interview is only one component of the admissions process and does not serve as an indicator for admission or not. Please note that each file is given a thorough review, and if we feel an interview would be helpful in further assessing a candidate or would aid in rendering a decision, we will contact the applicant to schedule a Skype interview. However, we cannot provide information as to if or when a candidate may receive an invitation for a Skype interview.

Best,

Bobby Ganzer
Interview Coordinator

1. Either a post-waiver interview is given only when the candidate is on the borderline. Some waived candidates may be accepted without a Skype interview.

2. Yes, of course if you don't get a post-waiver Skype interview invite, you're dinged, but we're not going to tell you that it is this way, for some reason you don't need to know.

Am I stupid and not getting something, or is gmatclub making presumptions that the school can't confirm, or is gmatclub correct and Kellogg lacks the directness to tell candidates they're dinged, and doesn't really care that they are waiting? Is Evanston a particularly PC neighborhood? I have co-workers who went to Northwestern but they don't seem that opaque.

This reply sounds more like a CYA reply...
Director
Director
Send PM
chestud13 wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

Dear Kellogg Admissions,

Is this true?

Thank you

Hi -,

Best,

Bobby Ganzer
Interview Coordinator

This reply sounds more like a CYA reply...

I think they aren’t telling you that you are dinged because it is school policy to not release decisions before the decision date. This should not be interpreted to mean that everyone with a waiver is dinged. People who are waived can be invited to interview after their application has been reviewed. It happens. It has happened on gmatclub before on several occasions.

The problem is that gmat club is just a small sample of the applicant pool and only 15% of all applicants get waived. Of that 15% of applicants only a percentage will get post waiver interviews because not everyone who is waived is someone that Kellogg is interested in admitting. Just because we don’t see any here or on clear admit does not mean that no one got one because there are 5,000+ applicants per year but only 400 or so that actually use gmatclub. The likelihood of being a subset of that 15% when less than 10% of applicants are on here is very low.

I also don’t want you to have false hope and think that you can be admitted without an interview. You have to interview to be admitted just like every other mba program.

This isn’t a lack of transparency or opaqueness...if you get a waiver the interview process is the same as with other schools. They review your app they contact you if interested. You actually have more knowledge about your candidacy than others that interviewed because an interview without a waiver gives no indicator of interest and 80% of interviewees will end up being dinged. They are waiting just like you.

TLDR: to be very frank just because you didn’t get a post waiver interview does not mean that everyone with a waiver did not get an interview. It may just mean that they are not interested and I don’t think that it’s fair to blast the school because of that, especially since after you get a waiver the process is very similar to other mba programs.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

As applicants stressing over applications and getting invested in schools and keeping up hope I can understand a desire for the schools to be transparent and ease our minds. However, there is a lot we don't know about the admissions process behind the scenes and many schools probably want to have maximum flexibility. Possibly waived applications were being discussed and decisions on Skype interviews or rejection as recent as last week or even this week. GMATClub and ClearAdmit and the other websites may not be giving us a good idea of how recent post-waiver interview invites have been sent. Other schools (like Haas) extend invites up until even a day or two before the deadline. Most school admission seasons have been described as insanely hectic and admission officers are working until the very end. They probably have setting the notification deadline down to a science and they likely are using all of that time. We don't know Kellogg's internal process and it may be a good thing they take extra time to evaluate applications for those who are waived (if that's what is happening).

RedAlertMBA your profile tracker says you applied to Ross and Kellogg. If those are indeed the only two schools you applied to then yes comparing Ross and Kellogg it might seem like Kellogg is less cut and dry, but a number of other schools have processes that are big giant black boxes and cause a lot of uncertainty/anxiety trying to figure out interview invites work and when there still is a chance/chances are slim. If someone receives a waiver then the process becomes a lot similar to what many other schools are like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

I do not understand the obsession with interview invites at Kellogg. If you consider any other college they do not even tell you if the interview is waived or anything, and sends you a ding mail directly. In case of Kellogg, at least you are getting info about interview being waved. You are getting something compared to nothing from other colleges. So, why so much talk of transparency. What would you rather prefer?

Lets admit it - no college is transparent about their admission process and move on with it. At least kellogg gives you a heads up about the impending ding through interview waiver.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
procman wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

I do not understand the obsession with interview invites at Kellogg. If you consider any other college they do not even tell you if the interview is waived or anything, and sends you a ding mail directly. In case of Kellogg, at least you are getting info about interview being waved. You are getting something compared to nothing from other colleges. So, why so much talk of transparency. What would you rather prefer?

Lets admit it - no college is transparent about their admission process and move on with it. At least kellogg gives you a heads up about the impending ding through interview waiver.

I try not to enforce arguments here but

- other schools do nothing but funnel through interviews, so it's 100% clear that you won't get accepted without getting invited to interview
- Kellogg doesn't do that (on paper), so they interview almost everyone except those given a waiver
- And then they still don't admit that post-waiver things are the same with other schools -- Skype interview works as a funnel
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts