GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 422
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 22:54
2
This post received
KUDOS
redalertmba wrote:
procman wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
[quote="FuturePM91"]Kellogg is only interviewing roughly 20%-30% of the remaining waived candidates. Only something like 15% of candidates get waived. So it’s not that surprising that we wouldn’t have many people posting post waiver interview invites.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


My contention is if you're correct, the school is not being transparent enough.


I do not understand the obsession with interview invites at Kellogg. If you consider any other college they do not even tell you if the interview is waived or anything, and sends you a ding mail directly. In case of Kellogg, at least you are getting info about interview being waved. You are getting something compared to nothing from other colleges. So, why so much talk of transparency. What would you rather prefer?

Lets admit it - no college is transparent about their admission process and move on with it. At least kellogg gives you a heads up about the impending ding through interview waiver.


I try not to enforce arguments here but

- other schools do nothing but funnel through interviews, so it's 100% clear that you won't get accepted without getting invited to interview
- Kellogg doesn't do that (on paper), so they interview almost everyone except those given a waiver
- And then they still don't admit that post-waiver things are the same with other schools -- Skype interview works as a funnel[/quote]

Well. I’m not sure where the miscommunication occurred between you and Kellogg but it’s pretty common knowledge that candidates aren’t admitted to mba programs without an interview.

The likely reason they didn’t “admit it” to you in the email is because it is 7 days before decision day and doing so would likely violate their policy against giving decisions before decision day.

I’m pretty confident if you would have asked in an info session or some other way such that their answer would not have specific implications on your individual application you would’ve gotten a more straight answer. I attended an info session where someone asked about the waiver process and whether an interview was required for admission and the adcom just came out and said yes.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
WE: Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 08:20
Friends who received an admit in R1, did any of you receive an admit without being interview???

Please reply. This will help in settling the ongoing debate...
Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1140
Location: India
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 08:31
Top Contributor
MBA18to20 wrote:
Friends who received an admit in R1, did any of you receive an admit without being interview???

Please reply. This will help in settling the ongoing debate...


Sorry, I do not think so. As stated by FuturePM91 and based on the info webinars, you need to be interviewed to get an admit. And FuturePM91 is one of the admit to the program as well.
_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 422
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 08:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
MBA18to20 wrote:
Friends who received an admit in R1, did any of you receive an admit without being interview???

Please reply. This will help in settling the ongoing debate...


I was admitted in round 1. I asked adcom and several students. I’m telling you. You don’t get in without an interview.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jun 2017
Posts: 47
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 09:18
I am not sure if some of the confusion might stem from posts earlier in the round on this forum. There seemed to be a number of posts from people almost "celebrating" getting an interview waiver. Or at least there were exclamation marks and a few other things that indicated they maybe thought it was a positive thing. There were a number in a row that I thought felt odd since it doesn't mean you're out of the running but it doesn't mean you are just skipping the interview. I know current/past applicants were working hard to be clear that a waiver didn't mean you were rejected, to not let it get you down necessarily, and it just meant the admissions committee would be able to view your file and later invite you to a phone/Skype interview if they wanted, but some of the waiver posters might have misunderstood and maybe the celebration/extra positive spin on waivers by them caused some confusion for others a few weeks ago.

To the question about acceptances- accepted Round 1 with interview. Echo what people have already shared. Haven't met or ever heard of someone accepted without an interview from Kellogg or really any top school. Kellogg especially cares a lot about culture and fit so even if you kill it on paper and the video questions they'll still want some sort of opportunity to learn about you live.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2652
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 11:38
I can sense the tension among folks in this thread and as a current student, I can definitely say that people are not admitted without an interview. I know this is not what some of you were expecting but it wouldnt make sense for Kellogg to admit someone without an interview. No one has that great a profile to get admitted at a top 5/10 bschool without an interview or for that matter at almost all top 20 business schools in US.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2582
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 11:40
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
I can sense the tension among folks in this thread and as a current student, I can definitely say that people are not admitted without an interview. I know this is not what some of you were expecting but it wouldnt make sense for Kellogg to admit someone without an interview. No one has that great a profile to get admitted at a top 5/10 bschool without an interview or for that matter at almost all top 20 business schools in US.



I haven't seen anyone getting admitted to a TOP-50 B-school without an interview. Let alone KELLOGG!
_________________


Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Average GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 137
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 11:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
I can sense the tension among folks in this thread and as a current student, I can definitely say that people are not admitted without an interview. I know this is not what some of you were expecting but it wouldnt make sense for Kellogg to admit someone without an interview. No one has that great a profile to get admitted at a top 5/10 bschool without an interview or for that matter at almost all top 20 business schools in US.


And rightly so..

I think people are coming to terms with the fact that it's a ding and wishfully interpreting certain interactions as positive.

I'm now accepting of mine and semi annoyed that I didn't journey to Evanston for in-person.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2652
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 14:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
ThadGA08 wrote:
I am not sure if some of the confusion might stem from posts earlier in the round on this forum. There seemed to be a number of posts from people almost "celebrating" getting an interview waiver. Or at least there were exclamation marks and a few other things that indicated they maybe thought it was a positive thing. There were a number in a row that I thought felt odd since it doesn't mean you're out of the running but it doesn't mean you are just skipping the interview. I know current/past applicants were working hard to be clear that a waiver didn't mean you were rejected, to not let it get you down necessarily, and it just meant the admissions committee would be able to view your file and later invite you to a phone/Skype interview if they wanted, but some of the waiver posters might have misunderstood and maybe the celebration/extra positive spin on waivers by them caused some confusion for others a few weeks ago.

To the question about acceptances- accepted Round 1 with interview. Echo what people have already shared. Haven't met or ever heard of someone accepted without an interview from Kellogg or really any top school. Kellogg especially cares a lot about culture and fit so even if you kill it on paper and the video questions they'll still want some sort of opportunity to learn about you live.


You are absolutely correct on the interpretation of getting a waiver. Waiver only lets the adcom to review your file without the burden of interview. This is in no way any an indication of whether you will be getting an interview. Other thing that people very conveniently forgot that if they were basing their judgements and frustrations on either GC's R1 Kellogg discussions or even last 2-3 years' discussions; then everyone is so off the charts. M7 has seen a change in the demographics of people they let in R1 over the last 3-4 years. Who they admit in R2 then also becomes a function of what type/kind of class they already have assembled in R1. If you happen to be an Indian male engineer/Chinese finance person or any other overly represented candidate, then you are already swimming against the tide in R2.

I know it can be utterly frustrating but adcoms are trying their best in putting the most generic yet most helpful pieces of information on the website. They can not and should not put every single piece of information as one thing that is directly applicable for one candidate might not be applicable for other.

Finally, I saw a post with the poster quoting an email from the adcom. To me, Kellogg has always been one of the most accommodating of the top business schools as it continuously interviews almost all. It is just not logistically possible for them to interview 100% of the candidates. If you happened to get a waiver and not get invited for an interview till the very end, then your profile was not competitive enough or it would have been a diff story if you would have applied in R1. If you really want to stick it in Kellogg's or any other bschool that dinged you this year's face, get admitted to a better school next round/next year.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: 331 Q165 V166
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 18:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
ThadGA08 wrote:
I am not sure if some of the confusion might stem from posts earlier in the round on this forum. There seemed to be a number of posts from people almost "celebrating" getting an interview waiver. Or at least there were exclamation marks and a few other things that indicated they maybe thought it was a positive thing. There were a number in a row that I thought felt odd since it doesn't mean you're out of the running but it doesn't mean you are just skipping the interview. I know current/past applicants were working hard to be clear that a waiver didn't mean you were rejected, to not let it get you down necessarily, and it just meant the admissions committee would be able to view your file and later invite you to a phone/Skype interview if they wanted, but some of the waiver posters might have misunderstood and maybe the celebration/extra positive spin on waivers by them caused some confusion for others a few weeks ago.

To the question about acceptances- accepted Round 1 with interview. Echo what people have already shared. Haven't met or ever heard of someone accepted without an interview from Kellogg or really any top school. Kellogg especially cares a lot about culture and fit so even if you kill it on paper and the video questions they'll still want some sort of opportunity to learn about you live.


You are absolutely correct on the interpretation of getting a waiver. Waiver only lets the adcom to review your file without the burden of interview. This is in no way any an indication of whether you will be getting an interview. Other thing that people very conveniently forgot that if they were basing their judgements and frustrations on either GC's R1 Kellogg discussions or even last 2-3 years' discussions; then everyone is so off the charts. M7 has seen a change in the demographics of people they let in R1 over the last 3-4 years. Who they admit in R2 then also becomes a function of what type/kind of class they already have assembled in R1. If you happen to be an Indian male engineer/Chinese finance person or any other overly represented candidate, then you are already swimming against the tide in R2.

I know it can be utterly frustrating but adcoms are trying their best in putting the most generic yet most helpful pieces of information on the website. They can not and should not put every single piece of information as one thing that is directly applicable for one candidate might not be applicable for other.

Finally, I saw a post with the poster quoting an email from the adcom. To me, Kellogg has always been one of the most accommodating of the top business schools as it continuously interviews almost all. It is just not logistically possible for them to interview 100% of the candidates. If you happened to get a waiver and not get invited for an interview till the very end, then your profile was not competitive enough or it would have been a diff story if you would have applied in R1. If you really want to stick it in Kellogg's or any other bschool that dinged you this year's face, get admitted to a better school next round/next year.


I REALLY want this pointless discussion (At this point it is) to end, but LOL at interpreting posting a harmless email as attempt at sticking it.

*Look, I only asked why they're not 100% open about it (which is the definition of transparency -- although this could be a loaded word, as in corruption) but if the value judgement can be made that you don't need to be 100% open about the admissions process, then the case is closed. I can accept that.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Mar 2018, 08:38
[/quote]Look, I only asked why they're not 100% open about it (which is the definition of transparency -- although this could be a loaded word, as in corruption) but if the value judgement can be made that you don't need to be 100% open about the admissions process, then the case is closed. I can accept that.[/quote]

Just a casual onlooker here who is struggling to understand the issue here. A waiver does not mean an automatic ding. However, it is very safe to assume that if you got a waiver and were not later interviewed then it is a ding.

How is this an issue and how has Kellogg violated anything by not specifically informing you on your specific case? Kellogg will inform their decision on the 28th including the final decision of those who were waived without interview and were never later interviewed (which will almost certainly begin with we regret to inform you).

IMO they have been fully transparent with this process. What additional steps would you like them to implement? An email to each waived student when it is decided that they will not be interviewed and presumably will not gain admissions? I think 1) it’s fairly impractical and creates more problems than it solves and 2) defeats the purpose of what March 28 represents.

Plus, I think you were misreading the admissions office email (which I can understand to an extent based on how it was worded). They are saying that just by being invited to the interview does not indicate that you will be admitted. Meaning you could very well interview and not be admitted. The wrong interpretation in my opinion is that you still have a shot if you do not interview. Again, I do not think Kellogg meant to imply your interpretation.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by thesenator2017 on 23 Mar 2018, 08:15.
Last edited by thesenator2017 on 23 Mar 2018, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 137
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 08:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
At the end of the day, if individuals feel that an in-person interview will be another positive data point for their candidacy at Kellogg, make every possible attempt to get to Evanston. Period.

Post waiver interviewers do happen, per multiple sources, but an applicant certainly shouldn't take the risk of not being paired with an off-campus interviewer should they have sincere interest in Kellogg. I think applicants' confusion also stems from applicants' impressions that a waiver allows the admission committee to begin their review of the application. This has been debunked this year at many informational sessions and through personal phone calls to the Office of Admissions. As such, it's safe to assume that a waiver isn't simply a result of only limited resources. I believe Kellogg pairs limited alumni resources based on preliminary reviews of applications.

And I honestly don't blame them...

Just my thoughts...
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 422
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
I think the issue is less about understanding Kellogg’s process and more about what seems to be a refusal to accept Kellogg’s process because it didn’t turn out positively for the individual and a subsequent blasting of the school.

Regardless of whether that is what was intended that is how the comments came off. Especially after multiple people have patiently explained the same process for waivers.

Semi related note: I believe that Kellogg believes that the interview waiver does not have a negative impact on applicants. They also claim to test this regularly to ensure that the chances of admittance is the same regardless of a waiver or not. That said I agree with the comment above that it is in your best interest to make every effort to ensure that you do not get a waiver because for some applicants hitting the interview out of the park can be crucial for getting admitted and having the chance to do so is always better than not.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: 331 Q165 V166
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:13
FuturePM91 wrote:
I think the issue is less about understanding Kellogg’s process and more about what seems to be a refusal to accept Kellogg’s process because it didn’t turn out positively for the individual and a subsequent blasting of the school.

Regardless of whether that is what was intended that is how the comments came off. Especially after multiple people have patiently explained the same process for waivers.

Semi related note: I believe that Kellogg believes that the interview waiver does not have a negative impact on applicants. They also claim to test this regularly to ensure that the chances of admittance is the same regardless of a waiver or not. That said I agree with the comment above that it is in your best interest to make every effort to ensure that you do not get a waiver because for some applicants hitting the interview out of the park can be crucial for getting admitted and having the chance to do so is always better than not.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I just can't get why I need to be treated like an ignoramus that is not getting what you are saying, while all I'm asking is where the school actually stands.
i.e,

What GC said = no skype interview post-waiver = ding
What Kellogg has said to me so far = the interview is just a part of the application...the absence of a Skype interview after the waiver does not indicate anything...et cetera.

In fact I asked the same question again and got the same answer : the fact that you didn't get a post-waiver interview doesn't mean a decision either way.
Notice that it's not whether the waiver indicates anything, the question is whether the absence of a post-waiver interview means anything. The school has said it is not indicative of a decision.

Why is pointing out this difference considered bashing a school unfairly?
For the record many friends attended/graduated Kellogg. I have no intention nor incentive to bash a school unfairly.

I now get why the school has to maintain this tone, and I think it's inevitable if they are going to keep the 'interview as many as possible' policy. However if you're applying for the first time and/or you've never been to info sessions, then it's less clear. Even more so if the info coming from the admin and sites like these are slightly different.

But if any feelings are hurt, then I apologize.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 422
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:23
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
I think the issue is less about understanding Kellogg’s process and more about what seems to be a refusal to accept Kellogg’s process because it didn’t turn out positively for the individual and a subsequent blasting of the school.

Regardless of whether that is what was intended that is how the comments came off. Especially after multiple people have patiently explained the same process for waivers.

Semi related note: I believe that Kellogg believes that the interview waiver does not have a negative impact on applicants. They also claim to test this regularly to ensure that the chances of admittance is the same regardless of a waiver or not. That said I agree with the comment above that it is in your best interest to make every effort to ensure that you do not get a waiver because for some applicants hitting the interview out of the park can be crucial for getting admitted and having the chance to do so is always better than not.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I just can't get why I need to be treated like an ignoramus that is not getting what you are saying, while all I'm asking is the school's position, not yours. You're not school admin.


You’re not being treated like an ignoramous.

No one here has done anything but patiently explained to you how the waiver process works. Current students, past applicants, accepted students, and current applicants have all told you the same thing.

Instead of accepting the truth you have done nothing but argued with people who have prior experience and complained about the school. Neither of which will help you to get in to school.

I’m generally very happy to help people on these forums but it’s impossible to do that if you’re not willing to listen.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Apr 2018, 07:55
[Reveal] Spoiler:
redalertmba wrote:
What GC said = no skype interview post-waiver = ding
What Kellogg has said to me so far = the interview is just a part of the application...the absence of an interview does not indicate anything...etc


You’ve added your own meaning to what Kellogg is saying though. I have yet to see anywhere where Kellogg says that if you are not interviewed you still have a chance. I believe you have invented that.

What Kellogg is actually guarding against is someone getting too excited about getting an interview and thinking that they are going to get in because they are interviewed. That is why they are saying it’s only one piece of the puzzle. You’ve misinterpreted this downplaying of the interview as it’s not necessary. It is necessary! But there are other pieces that are also necessary.

It’s sufficiency and necessity. It’s necessary to have an interview but it may not be sufficient. Meaning all those who are admitted were invited to interview but not all those who interviewed are admitted. That’s what they are trying to say. Not that you can get accepted without interviewing.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by thesenator2017 on 23 Mar 2018, 09:26.
Last edited by thesenator2017 on 02 Apr 2018, 07:55, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: 331 Q165 V166
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:29
FuturePM91 wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
I think the issue is less about understanding Kellogg’s process and more about what seems to be a refusal to accept Kellogg’s process because it didn’t turn out positively for the individual and a subsequent blasting of the school.

Regardless of whether that is what was intended that is how the comments came off. Especially after multiple people have patiently explained the same process for waivers.

Semi related note: I believe that Kellogg believes that the interview waiver does not have a negative impact on applicants. They also claim to test this regularly to ensure that the chances of admittance is the same regardless of a waiver or not. That said I agree with the comment above that it is in your best interest to make every effort to ensure that you do not get a waiver because for some applicants hitting the interview out of the park can be crucial for getting admitted and having the chance to do so is always better than not.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I just can't get why I need to be treated like an ignoramus that is not getting what you are saying, while all I'm asking is the school's position, not yours. You're not school admin.


You’re not being treated like an ignoramous.

No one here has done anything but patiently explained to you how the waiver process works. Current students, past applicants, accepted students, and current applicants have all told you the same thing.

Instead of accepting the truth you have done nothing but argued with people who have prior experience and complained about the school. Neither of which will help you to get in to school.

I’m generally very happy to help people on these forums but it’s impossible to do that if you’re not willing to listen.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Instead of accepting the truth = yes, GC's version of the truth. I asked whether the school is not as direct but still saying the same thing. I think you're right.
Argued with people = I think my question started as 'why less transparency' which is, technically, a question, not an argument.
Neither of which will help you get into this school = if GC's right I'm dinged anyway, doesn't make me eligible to bash a school but then again I'm not bashing anyone.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 05 Nov 2015
Posts: 422
Location: United States (GA)
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
redalertmba wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
I think the issue is less about understanding Kellogg’s process and more about what seems to be a refusal to accept Kellogg’s process because it didn’t turn out positively for the individual and a subsequent blasting of the school.

Regardless of whether that is what was intended that is how the comments came off. Especially after multiple people have patiently explained the same process for waivers.

Semi related note: I believe that Kellogg believes that the interview waiver does not have a negative impact on applicants. They also claim to test this regularly to ensure that the chances of admittance is the same regardless of a waiver or not. That said I agree with the comment above that it is in your best interest to make every effort to ensure that you do not get a waiver because for some applicants hitting the interview out of the park can be crucial for getting admitted and having the chance to do so is always better than not.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I just can't get why I need to be treated like an ignoramus that is not getting what you are saying, while all I'm asking is where the school actually stands.
i.e,

What GC said = no skype interview post-waiver = ding
What Kellogg has said to me so far = the interview is just a part of the application...the absence of a Skype interview after the waiver does not indicate anything...et cetera.

In fact I asked the same question again and got the same answer : the fact that you didn't get a post-waiver interview doesn't mean a decision either way.
Notice that it's not whether the waiver indicates anything, the question is whether the absence of a post-waiver interview means anything. The school has said it is not indicative of a decision.

Why is pointing out this difference considered bashing a school unfairly?
For the record many friends attended/graduated Kellogg. I have no intention nor incentive to bash a school unfairly.

I now get why the school has to maintain this tone, and I think it's inevitable if they are going to keep the 'interview as many as possible' policy. However if you're applying for the first time and/or you've never been to info sessions, then it's less clear. Even more so if the info coming from the admin and sites like these are slightly different.

But if any feelings are hurt, then I apologize.


I’m really glad I quoted your lost earlier because for the record your original comment was way ruder than this. I’m glad you realized this and then edited it but I’m not going to engage anymore. I think this topic has been fully covered and I don’t think anymore discussion will change your mind.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: 331 Q165 V166
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:36
thesenator2017 wrote:
redalertmba wrote:
What GC said = no skype interview post-waiver = ding
What Kellogg has said to me so far = the interview is just a part of the application...the absence of an interview does not indicate anything...etc


You’ve added your own meaning to what Kellogg is saying though. I have yet to see anywhere where Kellogg says that if you are not interviewed you still have a chance. I believe you have invented that.

What Kellogg is actually guarding against is someone getting too excited about getting an interview and thinking that they are going to get in because they are interviewed. That is why they are saying it’s only one piece of the puzzle. You’ve misinterpreted this downplaying of the interview as it’s not necessary. It is NECESSARY! But there are other pieces that are also necessary.

It’s sufficiency and necessity. It’s necessary to have an interview but it may not be sufficient. Meaning all those who are admitted were invited to interview but not all those who interviewed are admitted. That’s what they are trying to say. Not that you can get accepted without interviewing.

Posted from my mobile device



Actually, to quote from the last email I got,

"if a Skype interview is helpful in rendering a decision, we will contact for a Skype interview"
it's not "if a Skype interview is deemed helpful in reaching an acceptance decision"

So actually nowhere does it explicitly state you need an interview to be accepted.
But, since I wasn't aware of the fact that "100% of accepted students get interviewed", and if this is true then no interview post-waiver = ding is obviously correct.
This is my first time applying to schools, and so far I've only applied properly to two schools. No wonder I don't know the norm is.

But then that's what I asked the school, which the school wasn't direct about...
But then that would be early ding, which Kellogg doesn't do...

so the whole picture is clear now.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jul 2015
Posts: 54
Location: Korea, Republic of
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: 331 Q165 V166
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:46
http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com/post/377 ... licy-sucks

What Did I Do? (Believe in taking action towards solving the problem for the larger populace, not just writing about issues)

- When I got my waiver, I was perplexed. I sent an email. Got the usual - cannot tell when interviews will be assigned, you may get a phone interview, you may not request for an interview, doesn’t have a bearing on your application, etc.

- I called the admissions office (not the interview scheduling/coordination office - they are different, or atleast the latter is a subset of the former) last week. The lady who answered seemed very confused as to how come despite being a reapplicant who had asked for another interview, and having improved my profile considerably (she asked me you must have shown improvements and I said yes GMAT, double promotion blah blah), I haven’t received my interview invite. She put me on hold, spoke to a colleague, and when she came back said why don’t you speak to the interview scheduler as it may happen that your file somehow got mixed up somewhere. I couldnt believe what she just said!

- I sent another email (the person didn’t answer my call when the admissions office transferred my call). Got the usual - cannot tell when interviews will be assigned, you may get a phone interview, you may not request for an interview, doesn’t have a bearing on your application, etc.

- Eventually, I left an email saying that my email should not be seen as me venting anger. However, here are a few suggestions (eg: rewording the waiver language) that will help anxious applicants like me in the future.

My email wasn’t acknowledged.

Its unfortunate that this issue isn’t highlighted more prominently. EssaySnark wrote about why Columbia B School’s app is unfriendly and how it should be improved. The post was well received. Sadly, EssaySnark, or others like them, aren’t too well versed with the problem I have highlighted above as it has mostly to do with international applicants - within that also mostly Indians and Chinese applicants.
=================================================

And look here. The same complaint. From someone else.
Notice the admission office's reply "you may not request for an interview...doesn't have a bearing on your application...etc"
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 09:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63    Next  [ 1244 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.