Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
logancircle8 wrote:
sprinni wrote:
logancircle8 wrote:

same. a brunch with "non-transferable" invitation?

Odd. But I interpret it as, "Please don't invite other applicants/significant others." Probably has to do with limited expense allocation for recruiting events?

They are holding it at a decently nice restaurant. "Please join select alumni for an intimate brunch... This event is the perfect opportunity to expand your network and learn more about the Kellogg experience... Please note that this is a small group even with limited capacity, and thus this invitation is non-transferable."

I'm hoping this means something, knowing full well that it likely means nothing.

Given that you've interviewed, I would view it as a positive sign. They're clearly interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Although it’s such a nice gesture from Kellogg and it does feel personal to those who are invited, I have to say I wish they don’t do this so early before the decision date. It adds unnecessary anxiety/speculation to the invited and especially the uninvited.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tiduscloud wrote:
Although it’s such a nice gesture from Kellogg and it does feel personal to those who are invited, I have to say I wish they don’t do this so early before the decision date. It adds unnecessary anxiety/speculation to the invited and especially the uninvited.

Especially for applicants who received interview waivers due to limited alumni resources...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Hi everyone I posted this a couple of pages back but please note that in round 1 the same thing happened with these invite only brunches and happy hours. When it came time for decision day it didn’t look like there was any pattern between getting an invite and getting admitted. There were a few who were invited and got waitlisted or denied and there were a few who were not and got admitted. Do not read into these invitations one way or another just use it to get to know more about the school if you are invited. Hope this helps with some of the anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
Hi everyone I posted this a couple of pages back but please note that in round 1 the same thing happened with these invite only brunches and happy hours. When it came time for decision day it didn’t look like there was any pattern between getting an invite and getting admitted. There were a few who were invited and got waitlisted or denied and there were a few who were not and got admitted. Do not read into these invitations one way or another just use it to get to know more about the school if you are invited. Hope this helps with some of the anxiety.

Appreciate it, FuturePM. At what point should we assume silence subsequent to receiving a waiver is a ding? I know a waiver isn't a bad sign, per se, but eventually, the silence can be damning. Unsure if you saw any patterns during Round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I got invited to one of these events in the round 1 timeframe when I hadn’t applied yet. There were many R1 applicants in attendance. I applied R2. I will say Kellogg balls out at these events though :)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
HeadingEast wrote:
I got invited to one of these events in the round 1 timeframe when I hadn’t applied yet. There were many R1 applicants in attendance. I applied R2. I will say Kellogg balls out at these events though :)

Was it a brunch/dinner or just HH? Also did the invite say it’s not transferrable?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
sprinni wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

Appreciate it, FuturePM. At what point should we assume silence subsequent to receiving a waiver is a ding? I know a waiver isn't a bad sign, per se, but eventually, the silence can be damning. Unsure if you saw any patterns during Round 1.

I’m not really sure. To be frank and honest we did not have any reports of people getting interviewed after being waived in round 1. However, it has happened previously in the forums from past years and we did not have any US applicants that were waived in Round 1. The waivers were all granted to international candidates where the competition is much tougher so that could’ve been the reason why we didn’t see any interviews after waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
sprinni wrote:

I’m not really sure. To be frank and honest we did not have any reports of people getting interviewed after being waived in round 1. However, it has happened previously in the forums from past years and we did not have any US applicants that were waived in Round 1. The waivers were all granted to international candidates where the competition is much tougher so that could’ve been the reason why we didn’t see any interviews after waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Appreciate it. Well, shame on me for not going out to Evanston. Work truly is prohibitive, but I'm sure they get that excuse quite a bit. Maybe my approach will be different in the fall should I not hear good news from Ross or Darden.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V159
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
logancircle8 wrote:

They are holding it at a decently nice restaurant. "Please join select alumni for an intimate brunch... This event is the perfect opportunity to expand your network and learn more about the Kellogg experience... Please note that this is a small group even with limited capacity, and thus this invitation is non-transferable."

I'm hoping this means something, knowing full well that it likely means nothing.

I got a similar invite for round 1 and signed up but couldn't go ultimately. In the chatroom when decisions came out, people called it a "likely event". Which it wasn't because some of us that were invited to the same event in the same city were rejected or waitlisted (me). Don't read into it but definitely go! Who knows if the alumni are supposed to be evaluating you etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
amunster25 wrote:
logancircle8 wrote:

I got a similar invite for round 1 and signed up but couldn't go ultimately. In the chatroom when decisions came out, people called it a "likely event". Which it wasn't because some of us that were invited to the same event in the same city were rejected or waitlisted (me). Don't read into it but definitely go! Who knows if the alumni are supposed to be evaluating you etc.

Was yours also a dinner or brunch? With non-transferable invite?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Stern '20 (M)
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I just had my Skype interview with Adcom. However, in my excitement in the first few minutes, I missed the AdCom member's name.

Would like to send her a thank you note. Any suggestions how I should go about it now? The Kellogg website doesn't have profiles for the AdCom members like many other schools do.

Thanks!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
akpiper86 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just had my Skype interview with Adcom. However, in my excitement in the first few minutes, I missed the AdCom member's name.

Would like to send her a thank you note. Any suggestions how I should go about it now? The Kellogg website doesn't have profiles for the AdCom members like many other schools do.

Thanks!

I feel your pain! It is hard to remember sometimes to get that name! First-- realize that the reviewer likely has already made their evaluation--
as this usually happens very soon after the interview-- but since it was today maybe they will do it tonight. However, in all my years doing reviews for Kenan-Flagler never did I change a write up because of a thank you. So realize this will likely have little to do with the outcome-- however, it is a good thing to do to say thanks==
and I can appreciate that you would want to do that. My suggestion is to call the admissions office and mention your plight and see if you can get an ally in the office to look up for you who interviewed you. If you can get that great-- send the letter. If you tried and can't get it-- don't stress and just know you did the best you could. Far more important that the interview went well-- and I am sure you can still do well in this process even if you can't send the email! Consider it a good lesson for any future interviews and congrats on having your Kellogg interview done!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there -

Just wanted to share some intel on this new tactic Kellogg is taking this year. Our understanding is that Kellogg is trying to make the experience more personal -- having current students reach out to applicants, holding lunches and dinners, etc -- because they have realized that since they hold rolling interviews with alumni across the world, it could be up to a few months between when an applicant submits his/her materials and when they next hear from the school. They're trying to break up that period of relative silence with these new efforts.

Unfortunately, however, it definitely seems to be giving some applicants false hope. I had someone in Round 1 who had a current student contact him who had a similar background and was the head of a club my client was interested in, AND my client was invited to a dinner. But then my client was not admitted and felt like he had been misled and was pretty angry about it. (Don't worry, he did end up at another top program -- but still.)

So while I think you can definitely take these events as an opportunity to learn more about Kellogg, I wouldn't read much into it or get your hopes up.

Hope that helps!

tiduscloud wrote:
amunster25 wrote:
logancircle8 wrote:

Was yours also a dinner or brunch? With non-transferable invite?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Stern '20 (M)
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
akpiper86 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

I feel your pain! It is hard to remember sometimes to get that name! First-- realize that the reviewer likely has already made their evaluation--
as this usually happens very soon after the interview-- but since it was today maybe they will do it tonight. However, in all my years doing reviews for Kenan-Flagler never did I change a write up because of a thank you. So realize this will likely have little to do with the outcome-- however, it is a good thing to do to say thanks==
and I can appreciate that you would want to do that. My suggestion is to call the admissions office and mention your plight and see if you can get an ally in the office to look up for you who interviewed you. If you can get that great-- send the letter. If you tried and can't get it-- don't stress and just know you did the best you could. Far more important that the interview went well-- and I am sure you can still do well in this process even if you can't send the email! Consider it a good lesson for any future interviews and congrats on having your Kellogg interview done!

Thanks for your suggestion! Shall try this route.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi there -

Just wanted to share some intel on this new tactic Kellogg is taking this year. Our understanding is that Kellogg is trying to make the experience more personal -- having current students reach out to applicants, holding lunches and dinners, etc -- because they have realized that since they hold rolling interviews with alumni across the world, it could be up to a few months between when an applicant submits his/her materials and when they next hear from the school. They're trying to break up that period of relative silence with these new efforts.

Unfortunately, however, it definitely seems to be giving some applicants false hope. I had someone in Round 1 who had a current student contact him who had a similar background and was the head of a club my client was interested in, AND my client was invited to a dinner. But then my client was not admitted and felt like he had been misled and was pretty angry about it. (Don't worry, he did end up at another top program -- but still.)

So while I think you can definitely take these events as an opportunity to learn more about Kellogg, I wouldn't read much into it or get your hopes up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Erika. Interesting take, and we certainly appreciate it. I haven't heard from them since late December (waived interview), so I can appreciate them wanting to reach out to individuals. I do have increased suspicion when individuals, who have interviewed, get invites to these events or individuals from extremely large cities get interview waivers.

Are we truly supposed to believe that interviews and events are separate from the application review process? I'll defer to you on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I think here is how you know Brunch/Dinner isn't super significant. If it was you would have probably received this as well.
Attachments

Preview Day.JPG
Preview Day.JPG [ 94.05 KiB | Viewed 2899 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  55   56   57   58   59   60   61  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts