GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q165 V166
Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:46
http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com/post/377 ... licy-sucks

What Did I Do? (Believe in taking action towards solving the problem for the larger populace, not just writing about issues)

- When I got my waiver, I was perplexed. I sent an email. Got the usual - cannot tell when interviews will be assigned, you may get a phone interview, you may not request for an interview, doesn’t have a bearing on your application, etc.

- I called the admissions office (not the interview scheduling/coordination office - they are different, or atleast the latter is a subset of the former) last week. The lady who answered seemed very confused as to how come despite being a reapplicant who had asked for another interview, and having improved my profile considerably (she asked me you must have shown improvements and I said yes GMAT, double promotion blah blah), I haven’t received my interview invite. She put me on hold, spoke to a colleague, and when she came back said why don’t you speak to the interview scheduler as it may happen that your file somehow got mixed up somewhere. I couldnt believe what she just said!

- I sent another email (the person didn’t answer my call when the admissions office transferred my call). Got the usual - cannot tell when interviews will be assigned, you may get a phone interview, you may not request for an interview, doesn’t have a bearing on your application, etc.

- Eventually, I left an email saying that my email should not be seen as me venting anger. However, here are a few suggestions (eg: rewording the waiver language) that will help anxious applicants like me in the future.

My email wasn’t acknowledged.

Its unfortunate that this issue isn’t highlighted more prominently. EssaySnark wrote about why Columbia B School’s app is unfriendly and how it should be improved. The post was well received. Sadly, EssaySnark, or others like them, aren’t too well versed with the problem I have highlighted above as it has mostly to do with international applicants - within that also mostly Indians and Chinese applicants.
=================================================

And look here. The same complaint. From someone else.
Notice the admission office's reply "you may not request for an interview...doesn't have a bearing on your application...etc"
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:53
redalertmba wrote:
Actually to quote from the last email I got,
"if a Skype interview is helpful in rendering a decision, we will contact for a Skype interview"
it's not "if a Skype interview is deemed helpful in reaching an acceptance decision".

I read that to clearly mean that if you are a competitive applicant than they will interview you because the Skype interview will then help in making their decision.

If you are not a competitive applicant, then it does not matter how good your interview goes. You’ll not be admitted. In that case, they will not interview you since the Skype interview would not be helpful in their decision (it’s a no regardless).

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 10:33
Changing the topic......
At what time result will be out on 28th? Do international candidates get calls or is it just updated on portal?

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 10:53
CFAFRMMBA wrote:
Changing the topic......
At what time result will be out on 28th? Do international candidates get calls or is it just updated on portal?

Good question!

I imagine I will be compulsively checking the site the entire day regardless what time they are expected to come out. Unfortunately, I had to get a new cellphone number recently so the one that I provided on my application is no longer valid. Could this be a problem? I know that they reach out by phone if admitted, but figure that I will also get an update through email and the portal. Or should I send Kellogg an email informing them of the change?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 10:54
I think a lot of this confusion can be remedied by simply understanding Kellogg's unique approach and the philosophy of the late Dean Don Jacobs. There was a time when no MBA applicants at any schools were interviewed. Dean Jacobs changed that by making an interview not only a necessary precondition for acceptance, but offering any and everyone an interview. From a Poets & Quants profile after his death:

Quote:
When all was said and done, Jacobs believes that interviewing all the applicants to the Kellogg School was the key to breaking into the top ranks. Why? Because in those years there were widespread complaints from companies about the inability of MBAs to work well with others. No one doubted the technical abilities of MBAs to crunch numbers, analyze competitors, or plot strategy. But it was widely believed that the interpersonnal skills so necessary for success in business were lacking. Assessing those skills with face-to-face interviews allowed Kellogg to sort out candidates who were far more likely to work well with others, who were highly articulate, and who didn’t have a chip on their shoulder. It addressed the dirty little secret of MBA education: that student selection, more than faculty or curriculum, accounts for the ultimate quality and reputation of any school.

Of course, now, all schools interview their admitted students, but Kellogg was the first and does so as part of a broader philosophy. Understanding this should clear up some confusion about the necessity of an interview.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 10:56
Back in the days (close to a decade ago) when I was applying to colleges, only top 10-ish schools conduct interviews. And, they only interviewed borderline candidates. So not receiving an interview could mean you’re a top candidate, or you’re in the hopeless pile. Even now, lots of grad schools like law schools don’t do any interview. So you’re completely in the dark.

I personally think the MBA process is way clearer and in a way, personal. However, it is always a crapshoot applying to any top-10 schools so it’s best not to interpret/imply any communications at all. (But I failed to do so with the brunch/dinner invite..)

Retired Thread Master
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 10:56
thesenator2017 wrote:
CFAFRMMBA wrote:
Changing the topic......

Good question!

I imagine I will be compulsively checking the site the entire day regardless what time they are expected to come out. Unfortunately, I had to get a new cellphone number recently so the one that I provided on my application is no longer valid. Could this be a problem? I know that they reach out by phone if admitted, but figure that I will also get an update through email and the portal. Or should I send Kellogg an email informing them of the change?

Thanks

I dropped my iPhone in the toilet the week of Ross decisions. Thank god the newest iPhones are some-what water resistant. Talk about panic mode.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 11:51
Retired Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 13:06
souvik101990 wrote:
@sprinni - don't ditch Ross for Kellogg!!! I already lost a friend in FuturePM91

Whaaaaa????? I thought we were still friends!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 13:37
I am guessing everyone today got another mass email from Kellogg titled "The world is your classroom"? Needless to say, my heart beat spiked for a second when I saw the sender's name.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V45
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 13:40
JavierS wrote:
I am guessing everyone today got another mass email from Kellogg titled "The world is your classroom"? Needless to say, my heart beat spiked for a second when I saw the sender's name.

Yes I got it and my heart also skipped a beat :lol:
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 13:46
FuturePM91 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
@sprinni - don't ditch Ross for Kellogg!!! I already lost a friend in FuturePM91

Whaaaaa????? I thought we were still friends!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are not the kind of friends who would have a weekly brunch binge at Zingerman’s at A2. Sigh.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 18:32
CFAFRMMBA wrote:
Changing the topic......

Kellogg calls all admitted folks and if they can’t reach you, they’ll leave you a voicemail. You’ll also get an email confirming your admit later in the day.

Adcom usually call intnl folks in Asia/Australia/Europe before calling up folks in North America.

Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.53

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 14:45
Would you all mind arguing about something again? I could use the entertainment to pass the time until Wednesday.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 19:09
waitingfornextyear wrote:
Would you all mind arguing about something again? I could use the entertainment to pass the time until Wednesday.

I know...

Do you know, If all the calls/ mails on Wed only? Nothing to expect Monday/Tuesday?

Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 19:13

Best thing I have seen in a while. Have you tried watching the office?

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 21:32
Top Contributor
Lol. Funny! I usually spend my time watching series. I didn't know I have wasted more than 90 hours watching LOST as of now!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 21:33
Top Contributor
okhotnikovaalina wrote:

I know...

Do you know, If all the calls/ mails on Wed only? Nothing to expect Monday/Tuesday?

All the calls/ email only on Wednesday. Nothing on Monday and Tuesday!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 00:06

Any idea how much importance the interviews hold? If the Adcom says that would love to have you in the class, do they usually go ahead and select you or are these sort of sentences told to a lot of candidates?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 03:42
Hi all! All the best for the results. :) Hoping to hear some positive news.

I'm guessing calls are expected one day early i.e. 27th?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! &nbs [#permalink] 26 Mar 2018, 03:42

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66    Next  [ 1305 posts ] 

Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap