Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [205]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [49]

Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [12]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [4]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Charles,

Can you tell us how to increase Speed and Accuracy in SC ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

(A) of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

(B) in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals

(C) to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

(D) for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were

(E) for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

OA = E

Hi GMATNinja ,
I have some queries here.
Quote:
(C) to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

I think there is no problem with "they" as according to parallelism , "they" must refer to mammals only and "to determine" is referring to the purpose for doing.

Quote:
(E) for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

Is there ellipsis here like :
for determining how (mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies) and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies .
Is it right to have ellipsis before it has been stated in a sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [5]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

I have my GMAT exam this Friday. I'm pretty decent at SC, but I tend to make a few silly errors whenever I'm nervous or under time pressure. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do during these last couple of days to ensure I can put in my best for SC. I know I am capable of scoring at least 10 right on SC, but just need to make sure that I am not committing silly mistakes.

P.S. - I am a huge fan of your youtube videos and your posts on GMATClub. They have really helped me up my verbal game and I thought you should know that. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Charles,

Good Morning. Could you please explain the options for the Q below :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/traffic-safe ... 15768.html

PS : I am sure the explanations are amazing there , but still missing your style of comparison explanations . :-(
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:

Ask me Anything about GMAT Sentence Correction and Grammar

Hello - I am Charles, GMAT Club's resident Verbal Expert. I welcome your questions about SC - please do not hesitate to post your questions directly here or if they are related to a specific question or a topic, please provide a link and a bit about what you want me to address.

Thank you!

Superb initiative, sire!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Hi Charles,

Thank you so much for doing this. I do have a question and I am hoping that you will be able to give me some tips.

When I am doing practice questions of SC, things are usually fine. I can easily spot a split or an error and eliminate the wrong choices easily. However, when I am doing the real GMAT, questions seem much harder for me and it takes me way longer to do so. And most of the time, I don't even think I choose the right answer.

TL;DR, the real GMAT SC questions feel much harder than the practice or OG ones.

How can I improve this? Considering that I have done OG & Verbal twice and gone through all questions. I think most of the real GMAT questions are more about the meaning issues instead of the grammar issues.... I am still stuck at V28 and it really drags my total score down :(

Thank you again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rather-like- ... l#p2166429

Can u please help with option d? here should who not be whom .

here subject of verb shares is he i.e Mcbain so whom must be referring to object McCain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hi GMAT Ninja,

Please explain the difference in usage of WHICH and THAT. I am really struggling with it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

I have a query on Parallel construction with "not only... but also..." in the following question from GMAT Club Grammar book:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/german-engin ... 43521.html

In the above question/link, the OA is E which when replaced in the original sentence would read the following: German engineered cars are not only fast but also of precision quality.

I do realize, that among the options given, it might be the best option to pick, but for my understanding, wanted to confirm if this is the correct usage in the above sentence? I read in the same GC Grammar book that "not only" and "but also" connect the same elements of speech, i.e. connect a noun to a noun, an adverb to an adverb, a prepositional phrase to another prepositional phrase. So, according to that logic, fast is an adverb (correct me if I am wrong) and of precision quality is a prepositional phrase (correct me if I am wrong). So how would the correct usage in this case look like?

Thanks in advance!
nkin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ashijain wrote:
Hi GMAT Ninja,

Please explain the difference in usage of WHICH and THAT. I am really struggling with it.

Hi, I know that I am not GMAT Ninja, but I happened to be studying about this a few days ago and thought my notes could help you!

To understand the usage of Which and That, you first need to understand restrictive clauses and non-restrictive clauses.

Restrictive Clauses:
1. CANNOT be omitted from the sentence without changing the meaning.
2. are always vital modifiers.
3. Not separated from the sentence.
4. Who, which and THAT can be used.

Non-Restrictive Clauses:
1. Can be omitted from the sentence without changing the meaning.
2. Are always non-vital modifiers.
3. Separated from the sentence with the comma.
4. Who, which, and who can be used. But THAT CANNOT be used.

For example,
The guy who is giving the speech on the stage is my dad.
This is a restrictive clause because
1. "Who..." is not separated from the sentence.
2. If "who.." were removed, the meaning of the sentence would be affected. (The guy who is giving the speech on the stage is my dad is still correct grammatically, but the meaning is different)

Jason, who's traveling in Japan now, is going to college next month.
This is a non-restrictive clause because
1. The "who..." modifier is separated from the sentence by commas.
2. If "who..." were removed, the meaning of the sentence stays the same. (Jason, who's traveling in Japan now,is going to college next month.)

Basically, "Which" could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence and be separated by commas. "That", if removed, will change the meaning of the sentence, and "THAT", when used as a modifier, should not be separated by commas.

*I mentioned vital & non-vital modifier is to establish that vital noun modifier can come between a noun and non-vital modifier.
This is why sometimes the antecedent of the relative pronoun clause isn’t the immediate noun or noun phrase, because the noun was followed by a Vital Noun Modifier.
I killed the snake with scales, which lived in the burrow behind my house.
Since “with scales” cannot be moved elsewhere and it doesn’t cause ambiguity in meaning, we know that “which” modifies the snake.

Hope this helps x
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi Ninja,

I have 2 doubts on usage of "that" and "including".

Can those 2 words jump a preceding prepositional phrase to refer a Noun ?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Turkish wrote:
Hello Charles,

Can you tell us how to increase Speed and Accuracy in SC ?

Turkish -- and anybody else who has this same question -- I've added some links to the original post above. To be honest, there's no easy answer to the epic question you just asked, but those links are about the best we can do in a forum post or a video. I hope they help a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Expert Reply
nithinjohn wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I have my GMAT exam this Friday. I'm pretty decent at SC, but I tend to make a few silly errors whenever I'm nervous or under time pressure. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do during these last couple of days to ensure I can put in my best for SC. I know I am capable of scoring at least 10 right on SC, but just need to make sure that I am not committing silly mistakes.

P.S. - I am a huge fan of your youtube videos and your posts on GMATClub. They have really helped me up my verbal game and I thought you should know that. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words, nithinjohn!

And I feel terrible for answering this so slowly, since your test presumably happened earlier today. For whatever it's worth: it sounds like your issue isn't really how "good" you are fundamentally at SC. It sounds like you know what you're doing. And as much as anything, you just need to stick to your technique, trust your knowledge and training, and be supremely calm and methodical as you execute your process of elimination.

You might also want to check out this chat transcript about test anxiety. You're absolutely not alone in struggling with nerves during the exam.

I hope that things went wonderfully for you today!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
nkin wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I have a query on Parallel construction with "not only... but also..." in the following question from GMAT Club Grammar book:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/german-engin ... 43521.html

In the above question/link, the OA is E which when replaced in the original sentence would read the following: German engineered cars are not only fast but also of precision quality.

I do realize, that among the options given, it might be the best option to pick, but for my understanding, wanted to confirm if this is the correct usage in the above sentence? I read in the same GC Grammar book that "not only" and "but also" connect the same elements of speech, i.e. connect a noun to a noun, an adverb to an adverb, a prepositional phrase to another prepositional phrase. So, according to that logic, fast is an adverb (correct me if I am wrong) and of precision quality is a prepositional phrase (correct me if I am wrong). So how would the correct usage in this case look like?

Thanks in advance!
nkin

For starters, you definitely don't ever want to accept a non-official question as an authority on the GMAT's treatment of grammar. You know that I love the fine people who wrote that GMAT Club grammar book, but please always take the examples with a huge grain of salt. (And yes, I've written a few questions for the GMAT Club tests. Please take those with a huge grain of salt, too.)

For whatever it's worth, "fast" is describing "German-engineered cars" in this particular case, so it's an adjective. The phrase "of precision quality" is a prepositional phrase, but it's also modifying the noun "German-engineered cars." So both "fast" and "of precision quality" are adjectival modifiers, and in this case, they're also acting as subject complements (if you have no idea what a "subject complement" is, please disregard that last phrase -- it really isn't important).

I can't think of any official GMAT sentences that use an adjective ("fast") and a prepositional phrase ("of precision quality") in the same parallel construction, but you could argue that it's OK here, because they're both modifying the same noun.

But again: I can't really point to any official GMAT questions that look anything like this one. So don't worry about it too much.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hi Gmatninza,

After reading so many rules and tricks,Still not quite comfortable with solving SC.
What’s the right approach for SC Questions and how to build a strong foundation for solving SC?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM