Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Captain_Cook

HBS is very big on candidates having a 49 or above on quant. This score might work for a very diverse applicant from an underrepresented industry/country/gender who has shown their quant aptitude in other arenas but for overrepresented applicants you will be competing with those who have a similar profile but also have a really high test score.

Hi,

Also applying to the 2+2 program and have a question about this. My GMAT score was 750 (Q48, V46, IR 8), GPA is 4.0 from a top 40 college in the world (non US, finance major), and I am going into IB in NY post grad. Given I've (hopefully) demonstrated quantitative aptitude through my undergraduate achievements and the industry I'm entering after graduation, is it worth retaking the GMAT to try to get that 49 or higher in Quant?

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ysob wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Captain_Cook

HBS is very big on candidates having a 49 or above on quant. This score might work for a very diverse applicant from an underrepresented industry/country/gender who has shown their quant aptitude in other arenas but for overrepresented applicants you will be competing with those who have a similar profile but also have a really high test score.

Hi,

Also applying to the 2+2 program and have a question about this. My GMAT score was 750 (Q48, V46, IR 8), GPA is 4.0 from a top 40 college in the world (non US, finance major), and I am going into IB in NY post grad. Given I've (hopefully) demonstrated quantitative aptitude through my undergraduate achievements and the industry I'm entering after graduation, is it worth retaking the GMAT to try to get that 49 or higher in Quant?

ysob I see your point however the question could be turned around asking for somebody who has a 4.0 in finance why didn't they get a 49 or above on the quant.

If it supposed deal for you to retake then you might consider just doing MBA Math as a backup, but if you have recently taken the exam then I would retake it well you still have some momentum. I guess my overriding messages if there's a better score that lives within you get it out

But if you're going to have to invest in like tutors and classes and stuff to improve your score then that would probably be time better spent on the application. So do MBA Math in that case.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey,

I am planning on applying for the MBA program starting Fall 2020. I would love to hear feedback on my profile. Don’t hold back!

Background:

I am 26-years-old, Indian male and spend most of my life in East Africa; ranging from Kenya to Tanzania and currently, I am residing in Ethiopia. Although I am born in India, I've lived there less than 3 years. Most of my teenage years I've been jumping around from Dubai, USA, Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia. Most of my high-schooling was done in Tanzania and Ethiopia.

Academic Qualifications:

1) Undergrad, BSc in Environmental Science at University of York, UK. GPA equivalent of 3.20
2) M.S, Columbia University, USA, GPA 3.7

GMAT: 730

Work Experience (earliest to latest):

- Environmental Affairs Intern at United Nations Environmental Program in Ethiopia
- Intern at government organization dealing with early weather warning and development services in Ethiopia
- Project management Intern at a marine conservation NGO in South Africa. Led several research studies and teams of 5-6.
- Senior Financial Analyst at an NGO in New York. Started off as an intern and was promoted to Financial Analyst and within 7 months received another promotion to Senior Financial Analyst.
- Auditing Intern at one of the leading auditing firms in Ethiopia.
- Currently transitioning to an organization dealing with improving food security and climate change adaptation in low-income households.

Total WE: 36 months

Extra-curricular:

-Climbed the summit of Mt. Meru and Mt. Kilimanjaro (largest free-standing mountain in the world).
-Toastmasters member (helps individuals become competent public speakers)
- Volunteer at an orphanage in Ethiopia, assisting children with their homework, tutoring, and help the older students apply for scholarships for their further studies overseas. Additionally, I coach the junior football team at the school.
- Completed a comprehensive study looking at the human impacts on Ethiopian Wolves (rarest canid wolf species in the world).
-Used to volunteer at Born Free (conservation management in Ethiopia)
-Ethiopia is known for its prolific marathon runners and there are several annual marathons open to the public, which I enjoy taking part in.

Extras:

I speak English, Malayalam (native) and French (conversational)

Post MBA goals:

Return to Ethiopia and start a social enterprise that helps low-income households with food security by adopting sustainable agricultural practices.

Aiming for HBS, CBS, Stanford and open to other options that you think might fit my background.
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi js4895,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I think you have a really interesting profile with strong academics (including GMAT), and work experience. The next step in the process is that you have a clear and strong statement of purpose that showcases the strength of your character, and a clear outline of your post-MBA career goals. Another school I would add to your list is Yale's SOM. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

js4895 wrote:
Hey,

I am planning on applying for the MBA program starting Fall 2020. I would love to hear feedback on my profile. Don’t hold back!

Background:

I am 26-years-old, Indian male and spend most of my life in East Africa; ranging from Kenya to Tanzania and currently, I am residing in Ethiopia. Although I am born in India, I've lived there less than 3 years. Most of my teenage years I've been jumping around from Dubai, USA, Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia. Most of my high-schooling was done in Tanzania and Ethiopia.

Academic Qualifications:

1) Undergrad, BSc in Environmental Science at University of York, UK. GPA equivalent of 3.20
2) M.S, Columbia University, USA, GPA 3.7

GMAT: 730

Work Experience (earliest to latest):

- Environmental Affairs Intern at United Nations Environmental Program in Ethiopia
- Intern at government organization dealing with early weather warning and development services in Ethiopia
- Project management Intern at a marine conservation NGO in South Africa. Led several research studies and teams of 5-6.
- Senior Financial Analyst at an NGO in New York. Started off as an intern and was promoted to Financial Analyst and within 7 months received another promotion to Senior Financial Analyst.
- Auditing Intern at one of the leading auditing firms in Ethiopia.
- Currently transitioning to an organization dealing with improving food security and climate change adaptation in low-income households.

Total WE: 36 months

Extra-curricular:

-Climbed the summit of Mt. Meru and Mt. Kilimanjaro (largest free-standing mountain in the world).
-Toastmasters member (helps individuals become competent public speakers)
- Volunteer at an orphanage in Ethiopia, assisting children with their homework, tutoring, and help the older students apply for scholarships for their further studies overseas. Additionally, I coach the junior football team at the school.
- Completed a comprehensive study looking at the human impacts on Ethiopian Wolves (rarest canid wolf species in the world).
-Used to volunteer at Born Free (conservation management in Ethiopia)
-Ethiopia is known for its prolific marathon runners and there are several annual marathons open to the public, which I enjoy taking part in.

Extras:

I speak English, Malayalam (native) and French (conversational)

Post MBA goals:

Return to Ethiopia and start a social enterprise that helps low-income households with food security by adopting sustainable agricultural practices.

Aiming for HBS, CBS, Stanford and open to other options that you think might fit my background.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intending to reapply R1
Caucasian American (Rejected R2, no interview, taken GMAT once); current 1L at Harvard Law School
Good undergraduate business school: 3.9 Accounting, finance, economics; 4.0 MSA in tax
GMAT: 720 (47Q; 41 V); planning on retaking over the summer (also working at a Big Law firm this summer)
Work experience and leadership: 3 years (currently own a tutoring company; 2 years as a CPA at a well-known Fortune 500 doing corporate forecasting and analyzing product platform results)
Community and others: Quite of few clubs in the law school; Teaching Fellow in the Econ Dept; Prior to law school, I was on the Board of a 501(c)(3) and taught accounting 101 at the community college during nights
Long term goal: leadership role doing tax strategy work at a large, global company (ideally
Why MBA: Develop leadership/management skills, better business knowledge and how it intersects with law (especially strategic tax issues and M&A strategy), I'm entrepreneurial minded, so start up legal work paired with business interests me as well (which may impact my long term goal).

Since I'm in Cambridge, I would love to grab coffee or lunch with any HBS students and discuss my changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Chances of making it to top Bschools with this profile are mediocre. You need to get workex at a big investment banking or consulting to really get accepted with present profile. Harvard, Stanford may be out but try Wharton and Columbia. GMAT can be taken again to improve scores. Median score this year for Harvard admits was 730.

Sarthakdoshi wrote:
Hi,

I scored 690 (Q49, V34) in Gmat. Brief profile is shared below:

Sarthak Doshi (M, 23)

Education
CA (2016) (All India RANK 45 in IPCC)
CFA Level 3 cleared (2017)
Bcom Mumbai University (Distance learning)-72%

Work Exp:
2016-current Indo Thai Securities Ltd (it is listed on NSE BSE) - into broking and Wealth management where I am personally managing around $20mn in equity and debt. I manage two divisions there the retail Broking and Mutual funds.

2015-2016 Nomura Equity Research (Europe and India) - full time industrial trainee - played an important role in initiating Media sector in India.

2014-2015 SGCO and Co - full time article trainee in internal audit- Handeled several listed clients all by myself

2013-2014 Hari bhakti and co - full time article trainee Risk Advisory--client Deutsche Bank

I know the score is not the best. Do I stand any chance in any top 10 colleges Harvard, Wharton, Insead, Booth, Stanford, Kellogg etc
I wanted to know how is my profile and should I appear for Gmat again?
I also wish to get scholarship so would second attempt reduce my chances in any way?
Does applying in second deadline reduce chances of getting selected?

Thanks a lot in advance for help.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Captain_Cook

Hi, You've definitely achieved a lot in your short life and have clear focus on your career. However I don't see your odds being super certain for 2 + 2 . Harvard is looking for diversity in all forms, particularly country of citizenship, and also people who have a pretty clear and altruistic mission, that goes far beyond their own personal success. As a white male in oil and gas I don't know if you have this going for you, unless you have some ideas about disrupting the industry or something.

Another point,there is an overall preference for STEM candidates who are seeking to commercialize their ideas. These ppl have a real leg up.

Sadly, 700 is not quite up to par for a GMAT score for HBS, Especially for younger candidates where they don't have as much to reflect on as they would for seasoned candidates. HBS is very big on candidates having a 49 or above on quant. This score might work for a very diverse applicant from an underrepresented industry/country/gender who has shown their quant aptitude in other arenas but for overrepresented applicants you will be competing with those who have a similar profile but also have a really high test score.

It's important to have a clear track record of service to a cause that is beyond yourself. I like this work you did with BUILD, continue with something in this vein, hopefully that connects dots to your areas of expertise.

Sorry I cant be more optimistic; there are other programs out there you might consider like Yale Silver Scholars or Darden Future Scholars if it is important to line things up this year. If not, work on the points mentioned and apply later down the track.

Farrell

Captain_Cook wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get a quick review of my profile. I am a recent graduate (this past December) and am applying to Harvard 2+2.

Ethnicity: White Male

GMAT: 700 (47Q, 39V)

GPA: 3.91

School: Texas A&M, Petroleum Engineering

Work Experience: (3 past internships)
-Interned at oil and gas Investment bank doing engineering analysis
-Interned in Midland for E&P company doing research on reservoir development in the Permian Basin.
-Interned at oil and gas major doing work in Venezuela. Significantly influenced reserves booking to the SEC from my internship presentation in Venezuela.

Will be working for major oil and gas company doing reservoir engineering in deep water gulf of Mexico come March.

Extracuriculars:

BUILD, January 2016-January 2018
Operations and Marketing Committee Member
• Student led organization that transforms shipping containers into mobile medical clinics
• 3 to 6 hours of community service per week
• In charge of safety procedures, aiding the design team, and communicating with the adult advisors

Society of Petroleum Engineers, January 2016-Present
Director of the DVG Memorial Golf Tournament Committee and Philanthropy Committee Member
• Head of yearly charity golf tournament that raises funds for Petroleum Engineering Scholarships
• In charge of delegating and overseeing responsibilities of 10 committee members
Texas

Texas A&M Club Golf Team September, 2014-Present
President
• Coordinate club activities, qualifiers and team travel to multiple National Collegiate Club tournaments each semester
• Manage and budget team funds
• Negotiate Semester long contracts with golf courses

Honors
-Eagle Scout
-Deans List
-Two time golf state champion

It is interesting that you mention Yale but I am honestly not interested in the Silver Scholar program mostly because it not a big target school for oil and gas related business unfortunatley. How do you feel about my chances at Columbia with there new deffered program?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: Harvard '23
GRE 1: Q166 V164
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

GMAT - 750
Work Experience - 2.5 years (Cyber Security Consultant)
Indian Female

Engineering major - Information Science (8.40 CGPA)

Extra Curriculars :
* One amongst the 16 students selected out of 300+ students who applied to attend an exchange program at UMass Lowell and study a credit course on Global Immersion in Innovation and entrepreneurship.
A program which had students participate from 6 countries.
* Debate team captain( won inter collegiate championship)
* Also won Inter department dance competition two years in a row
*Part of the college editorial team
*Habitat for humanity volunteer for over a year
*CSR core member for 2 years.

I would love to hear your feedback and/or any suggestions to improve my chances of getting an admit.

HBS, Stanford , MIT Sloan and Wharton are the schools I'm trying to get into

Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sanchak,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have strong academics and an equally strong GMAT (congrats on 750!). You also seem to have been very involved in the university community, which is great. I didn't quite catch if you have done/are working with any community organization (extracurricular) in post-university. Can you share a bit about that? Also, can you speak about your role as a Cyber Security Consultant as well as your leadership experience within the organization? Finally, what are your post MBA goals?

As I am sure you are aware, a student's admission to top MBA programs is dependent on a holistic review of their profile, the student's fit in the program (EQ + IQ), academic abilities, their leadership experience, and the student's goals in relation to the school's ability to place them post-MBA. I do require more information to adequately evaluate your profile for the M7s you are targetting. If you prefer to have a phone conversation and discuss your profile, I am happy to discuss. If interested, please fill out this form so we can coordinate a call.

Good luck!

sanchak wrote:
Hi everyone,

GMAT - 750
Work Experience - 2.5 years (Cyber Security Consultant)
Indian Female

Engineering major - Information Science (8.40 CGPA)

Extra Curriculars :
* One amongst the 16 students selected out of 300+ students who applied to attend an exchange program at UMass Lowell and study a credit course on Global Immersion in Innovation and entrepreneurship.
A program which had students participate from 6 countries.
* Debate team captain( won inter collegiate championship)
* Also won Inter department dance competition two years in a row
*Part of the college editorial team
*Habitat for humanity volunteer for over a year
*CSR core member for 2 years.

I would love to hear your feedback and/or any suggestions to improve my chances of getting an admit.

HBS, Stanford , MIT Sloan and Wharton are the schools I'm trying to get into

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos