Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all! Do I stand a chance at HBS?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be high-quality
- Letters of recommendation likely average
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.15
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile. Shall look forward to objective advice in terms of starting the application
This Application Review is for the Harvard 2+2 Program.

Background and nationality: Indian , Gender: M (22 years)

Undergrad Information : B-Tech from Amity School of Engineering & Technology (GPA :3.6/4) Computer Science
GMAT: 740

Work experience and leadership : I've just completed my Final year of Engineering and since the first year have done internships.
1st year : Small internship in computer science area + Summer Course at Harvard
2nd year : Internship with a managerial position + Started my own Startup and automated
3rd year : Startup failed after 10 months so did an internship again in Government of India office to learn things.
4th year : Part Time Job in managing teams as reached 21, so around a year of part time job.
I got great recommendations from my internships , my college professors and from the people high up in the company I worked in.

Community and others : have contributed and volunteered in NGO's because I've loved it.! + I got certificates.
Was a part of RHA.

Post MBA goals: Entrepreneurship / Finance
Anything else?

I have had a fair academic record, moderate exposure to diverse extra-curricular activities like Indian music, debates, news article writing, swimming and a continuous track record of shouldering leadership responsibilities at school, college and at work along with a decent exposure to social development project having spent months with RHA to feed people so they don't go to sleep hungry at night.
I've always been a sporty person and have taught myself discipline over the years by sports, with habits like waking up at 5:30 to job or everyday playing a certain sport without fail.
I've lived with that since I was 20.

I am broadly aware about the stellar profiles which compete for a seat in HBS and am really eager to polish my application to be able to make the cut.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I am considering applying for the 2+2 MBA program at Harvard, and I wanted to know if I have a decent shot before I spend the time writing essays and asking for recommenders. Here is some info:

Senior Undergrad at USC / UCLA / ND / Georgetown tier school (graduating in May) with full scholarship
3.7 GPA, Computer Science & Business Admin Major
5 internships, including as a software engineering intern at Google
Will be returning to Google as a software engineer upon graduation
Taking GRE Jan 4th 2019, but my SAT was ~2300/2400 (with 800 math and 800 writing) so I think I will do well
In terms of career goals, I want to work as a software engineer for 2 years, so that I can learn the ins-and-outs of world-class software development, and then move into venture capital post-MBA and use my knowledge to help evaluate the tech at companies. Is this a career path that Harvard would like, or is that not consistent with what they are looking for?

I know I don't have a ton of time, so I need to make a decision about whether to apply or not. I am also considering applying to Stanford's deferred MBA program.

Do I have a good shot?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'll keep it REALLY real: HBS is looking for proven, demonstrated leaders. People who -- even at a young age and before they're out of college -- have gone above and beyond and racked up some extraordinary leadership experience through their extracurricular, community, volunteer or personal activities. People put too much emphasis on "stats," in my opinion. Yes, you will need a good GMAT score and GPA to be considered in the first place, but those are just like "check the box" hurdles. After that it will come down to what others in the class will be able to learn from you during case discussions -- what will you bring to the table?

If you feel like you don't have a lot to say for yourself on that front, then that would be an issue for HBS. I would recommend really focusing on leadership experience in your early career and taking on a leadership role at a nonprofit that you care about and STAYING in that role for a few years -- showing deep commitment. That will then position you much more strongly to apply when you have 3-4 years of work experience under your belt.

Hope that helps!

ethanlayman wrote:
So I just found out about the Harvard 2+2 program, which sounds very appealing to me as I've just started my last semester of undergrad. My GMAT is 750 and my current GPA is 3.61 (hopefully 3.65 by the time I apply). The problem is until I took the GMAT I never imagined I would be applying for anything relatively close to Harvard, so I don't have a lot more to add to my application.

The 750 is only slightly better than the 740 median, and I'm not sure if it serves any advantage with my slightly below-average GPA. I don't have any internships/professional experience to add, but I plan to secure an internship starting early 2016 that I can at least mention. I have a year and a half's worth of work experience tutoring a variety of business courses, and the extent of my extracurricular activities is playing for the VCU ice hockey team.

Do I have any shot of getting in or should I save the $250?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Maybe this is a decent thread to ask advice on how to proceed with overall planning...

28y/o female at a US medical school in my 2nd year and graduate at 31y/o. To be clear, I am already in medical school.

From cursory searches, it appears there is a de facto hard stop on the age of the typically accepted applicant to HBS — supposedly 35 y/o. I am not sure how true this is and what this means for me since I am graduating med school at 31y/o. Regarding residency, I would most likely do Family Medicine or Internal Medicine, which are 3 year trainings.

Other factors possibly of interest: I have a STEM degree. I grew up disadvantaged. I am not anywhere near the top of my med school class, but I forced myself to achieve goals that most people where I'm from are not able to do. I grew up without certain exposures on how to succeed, and my appeal on this forum is to how approach thinking about a Harvard MBA….

I will be a published first author of a novel laboratory/research method within the next year. My research lab intends to build on my research to create a new drug-delivery mechanism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V24
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Deleted

Originally posted by Katara93 on 06 Jan 2019, 10:26.
Last edited by Katara93 on 13 Feb 2023, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi guys,

It will be great if someone can evaluate my profile and let me know what GMAT score should I target to bag a call.

Nationality:Indian

10th(CBSE)- 83%
12th(CBSE)- 78%
Computer Science Engineering(B.Tech)- 69%
Completed Business Leadership Programme with a top Indian Bank(MBA banking and finance)- CGPA of 7.0 (an elite programme with the bank)

Work Experience Total - 6.5 years+
1. IT- Systems Engineer- 3 years

Here I worked in Core JAVA projects.

2. Banking-
a. 2016-2018(Commercial Banking): Worked as Account Manager for Big corporates. My primary client base included many SME clients. Also, I led many New Client Acquisitions for my unit.
b. 2018-present:I am working in Operational risk profile as a Risk analyst with various groups mapped under me for Risk evaluation. Also I played a Key role in driving a software induction for my group within the Bank.

Achievements:Acknowleded for Highest Advance Tax collection across my zone.
Co-curricular- Plenty and plenty of award for various events,Debates,dramatics,including University level award and State level beauty pageant(won subtitle :)),
Volunteering: Worked as Placements officer with Make a Difference(NGO)

Age:30 (I will be 31 by the time I apply for 2019-20)- Just to add, I am a proud mom of 19 month old baby.

Thanks in advance! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I will be applying to 2+2 soon. Was hoping people could guide me as I'm trying to figure out how I can differentiate myself from others applying to 2+2.

- Go to a top 40 college worldwide, studying business
- 4.0 GPA
- 750 GMAT
- President of school's Investment Club with 500+ members
- Founder of non-profit organization that has impacted over 500 individuals
- Part-time internship at a start-up
- Internship in private equity
- Internship in investment banking in New York (top 1-5 firm), going back here upon graduation
- Represented my school in national case competitions, placing as best as 3rd
- Received top academic and leadership-related awards at my school
- Recommendations from my boss from my investment banking internship and an advisor at my college whom I've worked closely with during my time at the Investment Club

My biggest question is how can I differentiate myself from others with similar profiles. I realize most people applying to 2+2 probably have similar accomplishments. Given I fall into the business/econ bucket (which comprises a smaller percentage of the 2+2 class), how can I stand out from the rest?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
ysob wrote:
I will be applying to 2+2 soon. Was hoping people could guide me as I'm trying to figure out how I can differentiate myself from others applying to 2+2.

- Go to a top 40 college worldwide, studying business
- 4.0 GPA
- 750 GMAT
- President of school's Investment Club with 500+ members
- Founder of non-profit organization that has impacted over 500 individuals
- Part-time internship at a start-up
- Internship in private equity
- Internship in investment banking in New York (top 1-5 firm), going back here upon graduation
- Represented my school in national case competitions, placing as best as 3rd
- Received top academic and leadership-related awards at my school
- Recommendations from my boss from my investment banking internship and an advisor at my college whom I've worked closely with during my time at the Investment Club

My biggest question is how can I differentiate myself from others with similar profiles. I realize most people applying to 2+2 probably have similar accomplishments. Given I fall into the business/econ bucket (which comprises a smaller percentage of the 2+2 class), how can I stand out from the rest?
Not really sure what your ethnicity or citizenship is so that information would help. Because the unfortunate reality is that's one of the biggest buckets. But in general, you will want to use the writing opportunities to really convey a sense of passion and purpose. Make yourself likeable, and relatable. Make them feel something for you. This is how you will stand out from other people who are highly accomplished like yourself.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 9.0(one of the toppers of my stream)
10th : CGPA 10 (95%)
12th : CGPA 9.3 (88%)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R2 2019 or R1 2020.

Background and nationality: Chinese Male

Undergrad Information: Pomona College (part of Claremont colleges) GPA: 3.6

GMAT: 760

Work experience: 2+ year working as software development engineer at Microsoft (Azure SQL Data Team) and about to transition to either a US-based autonomous driving company as software engineer (think of Cruise, Zoox) or a fintech start-up in Southeast Asia as AI engineer with a product management track. Question: which one is better from MBA admission perspective?

Extracurricular: founded own theater club on campus (100+ members)

Post MBA goals: Tech?

Thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All!
I’d really appreciate a profile evaluation on the below. Thanks.

Background:
25 year old Asian American Male

Education: 3.3 GPA With a maj in Computer Science with minors in Economics and Mathematics at Columbia

GMAT: 790

Work Experience:

Current:4 years as a Data Scientist in a large Asset Manager (>$1tn AUM) working to generate alpha signals through investment research.

Previous: intern at a hedge fund as a quant during the semester, interned as a software engineer at large software company in Silicon Valley

Community Service: 3 summers of volunteering as a tennis coach for low income kids in NYC

Post MBA plans: transition to a portfolio management role from research role

Extras: published internal research white papers on the development of state of the art machine learning models for finance

Target Schools:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth

Posted from my mobile device
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi guerillagorilla,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Your strong academic and professional background will serve you well in your application to these programs. I know firsthand working in finance (especially in NYC) makes it difficult to manage a social life, let alone community engagement. Was the summer tennis coach volunteer work you've done recently, or while in college? Also, I would require to learn more about your role as a Data Analyst to help discern your probabilities of admission to a top program.

If you are serious about earning an MBA, I recommend you invest time getting to know each institution individually (they are very different from one another). To make sure you get into a program with your goals in mind, you must also apply to R1, otherwise, you will have to wait another year because you are dealing with highly selective programs with limited seat availability for your chosen career.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click here to coordinate a call.

Good luck!

guerillagorilla wrote:
Hi All!
I’d really appreciate a profile evaluation on the below. Thanks.

Background:
25 year old Asian American Male

Education: 3.3 GPA With a maj in Computer Science with minors in Economics and Mathematics at Columbia

GMAT: 790

Work Experience:

Current:4 years as a Data Scientist in a large Asset Manager (>$1tn AUM) working to generate alpha signals through investment research.

Previous: intern at a hedge fund as a quant during the semester, interned as a software engineer at large software company in Silicon Valley

Community Service: 3 summers of volunteering as a tennis coach for low income kids in NYC

Post MBA plans: transition to a portfolio management role from research role

Extras: published internal research white papers on the development of state of the art machine learning models for finance

Target Schools:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Hi all!

It's my first time to the site and would like an honest review of my profile.

Background: Chinese male
Undergra: top LAC, major in philosophy, GPA 3.3
Score: haven't take GMAT but I'm a strong test taker (174 LSAT and 2250 SAT) and after briefly looking at GMAT problems, I think I have a good shot at 750+
Extracurricular: chess master, president of chess club, rugby in college, poker, president of poker club. I played baseball in high school but I assume it's just too dated?
I speak Chinese, English and Russian. Have solid classics education (Latin and Greek) and can read them pretty well.

Work experience: currently working for family business. It's a medium sized Chinese manufacturing company. About 2000 employees and 400 million USD in revenue. I'm trying to write the essays on my bond to the company and its potential and challenge. The goal of getting MBA is to acquire the necessary skills to help the company grow.

I'm aiming for top B schools, like Harvard and Stanford. What do you think my chance is and what my application strategy should be? Thank you in advance! I look forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hi all,

Hoping for a quick review of my profile. Thanks so much in advanced!

Background: American Female, Ethnicity: Indian
Undergrad: University of Missouri, Bachelor of Journalism, 3.5 GPA, Deans List, Multicultural Certificate, Business Minor
Score: 740, only taken it once

Extracurriculars in College: Board of Camp Kesem (501c3 Camp for kids), Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, National Honor Society

Extracurriculars Post grad: Literacy mentor for Chicago Public Schools, High School mentor for Chicago Public Schools, On professional board of local animal welfare society, work in low income areas to provide education and services for animal welfare

I speak English, Gujarati and Fluent spanish

Work experience: Started right out of college at a Fortune 500 company in an analyst role working in the healthcare sector, promoted to manager level after 9 months (usually 3 to 4 year progression). Served 1 year in the manager role before moving into a senior manager role at a small Virtual Reality Tech company. Advanced enterprise adoption and built widely adopted blueprint - promoted after 8 months to Senior Team Lead role with a team reporting to me, where I'm currently sitting.

Aiming for top schools including Harvard, Yale, Booth. Ideally would like to go for a dual MBA/MPP.

Thank you!
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Inertiae,

Thank you for your post and welcome to GMAT Club. Without a GMAT score, it's difficult to speak about your prospects. What adds to the difficulty is missing details on your role in the family business and your leadership experiences (how many years experience do you have?). I like that you speak three (3) very different languages and that you are a student of classical education (assuming you studied Attic?), and that you have been very active while in college (have you been involved in your community post-college?).

I recommend you reach out and set-up an exploratory strategy call, so we can learn more about your profile and determine if we can help with your strategy. If interested, please click here.

Good luck!

Inertiae wrote:
Hi all!

It's my first time to the site and would like an honest review of my profile.

Background: Chinese male
Undergra: top LAC, major in philosophy, GPA 3.3
Score: haven't take GMAT but I'm a strong test taker (174 LSAT and 2250 SAT) and after briefly looking at GMAT problems, I think I have a good shot at 750+
Extracurricular: chess master, president of chess club, rugby in college, poker, president of poker club. I played baseball in high school but I assume it's just too dated?
I speak Chinese, English and Russian. Have solid classics education (Latin and Greek) and can read them pretty well.

Work experience: currently working for family business. It's a medium sized Chinese manufacturing company. About 2000 employees and 400 million USD in revenue. I'm trying to write the essays on my bond to the company and its potential and challenge. The goal of getting MBA is to acquire the necessary skills to help the company grow.

I'm aiming for top B schools, like Harvard and Stanford. What do you think my chance is and what my application strategy should be? Thank you in advance! I look forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get a quick review of my profile. I am a recent graduate (this past December) and am applying to Harvard 2+2.

Ethnicity: White Male

GMAT: 700 (47Q, 39V)

GPA: 3.91

School: Texas A&M, Petroleum Engineering

Work Experience: (3 past internships)
-Interned at oil and gas Investment bank doing engineering analysis
-Interned in Midland for E&P company doing research on reservoir development in the Permian Basin.
-Interned at oil and gas major doing work in Venezuela. Significantly influenced reserves booking to the SEC from my internship presentation in Venezuela.

Will be working for major oil and gas company doing reservoir engineering in deep water gulf of Mexico come March.

Extracuriculars:

BUILD, January 2016-January 2018
Operations and Marketing Committee Member
• Student led organization that transforms shipping containers into mobile medical clinics
• 3 to 6 hours of community service per week
• In charge of safety procedures, aiding the design team, and communicating with the adult advisors

Society of Petroleum Engineers, January 2016-Present
Director of the DVG Memorial Golf Tournament Committee and Philanthropy Committee Member
• Head of yearly charity golf tournament that raises funds for Petroleum Engineering Scholarships
• In charge of delegating and overseeing responsibilities of 10 committee members
Texas

Texas A&M Club Golf Team September, 2014-Present
President
• Coordinate club activities, qualifiers and team travel to multiple National Collegiate Club tournaments each semester
• Manage and budget team funds
• Negotiate Semester long contracts with golf courses

Honors
-Eagle Scout
-Deans List
-Two time golf state champion
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts