Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 17:38 It is currently 02 May 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19844 [309]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [81]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [46]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q167 V165
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [6]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Biologist: Species with broad geographic ranges probably tend to endur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
conclusion of the argument-- it is likely that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time.

the author reached the conclusion by saying that
-Species with broad geographic ranges probably tend to endure longer than species with narrow ranges.
-The broader a species' range, the more likely that species is to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas

the assumption is the unstated premise that needs to be true for the conclusion to be true
--negating this destroys the conclusion

A. There are now more species with broad geographic ranges than with narrow geographic ranges.
--negating this does not shatter our conclusion
--so, this cant be the assumption of the argument (incorrect)

B. Most species can survive extinctions of populations in a few areas as long as the species' geographic range is not very narrow.
---this answer choice says most species can survive as long as the range is not very narrow but this answer choice does not help our conclusion in any way
---this answer choice does not bridge the gap between our premise and conclusion
---negating this does not shatter our conclusion hence, this is not the assumption (incorrect)

C. If a population of a species in a particular area dies out, that species generally does not repopulate that area.

-- the assumption is something that needs to be true for the conclusion to hold but this answer choice does not reinforce our conclusion in any way
--negating this does not shatter our conclusion--this answer choice is irrelevant (incorrect)

D. If a characteristic tends to help species endure longer, then the proportion of species with that characteristic tends to gradually increase with time.

--this is the correct answer choice it bridges the gap between premise and conclusion
--negating this---If a characteristic tends to help species endure longer, then the proportion of that species does not increase with time---then we cant say that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time and our conclusion falls apart (correct)

E. Any characteristic that makes a species tend to endure longer will make it easier for that species to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas.

--this answer choice is too extreme
--this cant be the assumption
--Any characteristic that makes a species tend to endure longer will make it easier for that species to survive the extinction (incorrect)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19844 [6]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Biologist: Species with broad geographic ranges probably tend to endur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatt1476 wrote:
Biologist: Species with broad geographic ranges probably tend to endure longer than species with narrow ranges. The broader a species' range, the more likely that species is to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas. Therefore, it is likely that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time.

The biologist's conclusion follows logically from the above if which of the following is assumed?

A. There are now more species with broad geographic ranges than with narrow geographic ranges.
B. Most species can survive extinctions of populations in a few areas as long as the species' geographic range is not very narrow.
C. If a population of a species in a particular area dies out, that species generally does not repopulate that area.
D. If a characteristic tends to help species endure longer, then the proportion of species with that characteristic tends to gradually increase with time.
E. Any characteristic that makes a species tend to endure longer will make it easier for that species to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas.

CR30721.01

Official Explanation

Argument Construction

This question asks us to find an assumption that allows the biologist's conclusion to be logically drawn if made in conjunction with the premises of the biologist's argument.

The biologist claims that species with broader ranges are more likely to survive the extinction of populations in certain areas than are species with narrow ranges. The biologist concludes that over time the proportion of species with broader ranges will probably increase.

Note that the argument as it stands is not logically valid: it is possible that if species that now have broad ranges survive the extinction of populations with narrow ranges, the proportion of species with broad ranges could still decline. That is, decimation of populations in certain areas may in fact cause the ranges of species that now have broad ranges to shrink in size, thereby becoming narrow ranges.

Were this to happen at a faster pace than the extinction of species that currently have narrow ranges, the proportion of species with broad ranges would decline rather than increase. The correct answer to this question must rule out this possibility.

A. This choice does not rule out the possibility that the proportion of species that have broad ranges would decline.

B. This choice does not rule out the possibility that the proportion of species that have broad ranges would decline.

C. This choice does not rule out the possibility that the proportion of species that have broad ranges would decline. In fact, this assumption helps to support the claim that as certain populations of a species that once had a broad range die out, that species' range could narrow.

D. Correct. This assumption rules out the possibility described above; furthermore, it rules out any other possibility that allows the biologist's conclusion to be false even if the premises were true.

E. This choice does not rule out the possibility that the proportion of species that have broad ranges would decline.

The correct answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja specifically - How is D correct? It's a rehash of the exact reasoning of the conclusion, not an assumption to arrive at the conclusion. The way to arrive at their conclusion is to assume that only species with broad ranges or characteristics that can help them endure will still exist after extinctions in a few populations whereas species of narrow ranges cannot do such, which is what B says. That is the only way that the ratio of broad range to narrow range species can increase, because those species with narrow ranges, naturally, have not survived as many 'extinctions.'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Biologist: Species with broad geographic ranges probably tend to endure longer than species with narrow ranges. The broader a species' range, the more likely that species is to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas. Therefore, it is likely that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time.

Broader range -> more endurance & chances to survive ext.
Assumption: % of species w/ broad ranges will increase

Quote:
The biologist's conclusion follows logically from the above if which of the following is assumed?

Quote:

Not necessarily. Out.

Quote:

‘Most’ – extreme. Out.

Quote:
C. If a population of a species in a particular area dies out, that species generally does not repopulate that area

Irrelevant. Out

Quote:

So this one is a bit more ‘safer’ since it specifically focuses on species with that characteristic, described in the premise. Seems ok.

Quote:

‘Any’ – extreme. Out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [6]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A causes B
B causes C
Therefore A causes D.

Choice D fills the missing link between A and D.
So, Choice D is the winner.

Thanks VeritasKarishma for teaching us this technique.
God bless you.

Regards
Basim

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65046 [7]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:

CR30721.01

We need the conclusion to follow logically. The conclusion must follow if we include one of the options.

Species with broad ranges probably tend to endure longer than species with narrow ranges.
The broader a species' range, the more likely that species is to survive the extinction of populations in a few areas.

Conclusion: it is likely that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time.

The premises tell us that broad range leads to longer survival. There is no mention of what proportion of all species do they make. If I want my conclusion to follow, I must look for something that talks about how the proportion of species changes over time.

This tells us that currently, more than 50% species are those with broad geographic ranges. But this does not help us establish that the proportion of broad ranges species increases with time. What if some time back 90% species were with broad ranges but now only 60% are there?

Doesn't talk about changing proportion.

Correct. If a characteristic helps in longer endurance, then more species acquire that characteristic. It tells us that the proportion of species with the longer endurance characteristic increases with time. Then we can say that over time a higher proportion of the species will have broader ranges (they will be able to endure longer)

Answer (D)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
My understanding of the passage was that,
Since the smaller range species become extinct more likely and the larger range ones endure such extinctions more likely then over a period of time there will be more Longer range species and that is pointed out in the conclusion.
So, I thought we may need to counter any other possibilities, and for me Option C seemed to rule out a possible option.
Also, I thought Option D is re-iterating what is already there in the argument, and I thought assumptions generally don't do that. Here I may have thought Option D is already implied by the premises and hence ruled it out as an assumption. But literally that is what such questions test us. What is that one assumption we take for granted.

Now, after reading all the explanations by experts I understand why D is correct. But I need some help in redefining my thought process in such questions.
Experts, do you think me inferring the smaller range species become extinct more likely and the larger range ones endure such extinctions more likely, then over a period of time there will be more Longer range species and that is pointed out in the conclusion. is a bit out of scope and I am bringing in more understanding and deviating out of scope of the argument ?
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65046 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
My understanding of the passage was that,
Since the smaller range species become extinct more likely and the larger range ones endure such extinctions more likely then over a period of time there will be more Longer range species and that is pointed out in the conclusion.
So, I thought we may need to counter any other possibilities, and for me Option C seemed to rule out a possible option.
Also, I thought Option D is re-iterating what is already there in the argument, and I thought assumptions generally don't do that. Here I may have thought Option D is already implied by the premises and hence ruled it out as an assumption. But literally that is what such questions test us. What is that one assumption we take for granted.

Now, after reading all the explanations by experts I understand why D is correct. But I need some help in redefining my thought process in such questions.
Experts, do you think me inferring the smaller range species become extinct more likely and the larger range ones endure such extinctions more likely, then over a period of time there will be more Longer range species and that is pointed out in the conclusion. is a bit out of scope and I am bringing in more understanding and deviating out of scope of the argument ?
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

We are not looking for just one assumption. We are looking for a "sufficient" assumption. This means that the conclusion should logically follow if that assumption is also included with the premises.

e.g.
Premises:
A is B.
B is C.

Conclusion: A is D.

What assumption will make the conclusion follow logically? How about 'C is D'?

Premises:
A is B.
B is C.
C is D.

Conclusion: A is D.

Makes sense now.

Now for what confused you - Broad range species endure longer. Narrow range species do not endure as long.

Conclusion: Over time, proportion of broader range species will increase.

What can we say to conclude that proportion of broad range species will increase over time?

Option (D) tells us that if a specie has characteristics that lead to longer endurance, the proportion of that specie increases over time. This means proportion of species that have broad range will increase over time. So our conclusion logically follows now.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3144 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
edlc313 wrote:
How is D correct?

Premise:
Species with broad geographic ranges tend to endure longer.
Conclusion:
The proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time.

This is actually a justify question in disguise.
For a conclusion to follow logically, it must be justified by the given information.
Question stem, rephrased:
Which of the following justifies the biologist's conclusion?

D: If a characteristic tends to help species endure longer, then the proportion of species with that characteristic tends to gradually increase with time.
Since it is given as a PREMISE that a broad geographical range is a characteristic that tends to help species endure longer, option D justifies the biologist's conclusion: that the proportion of species with this characteristic -- a broad geographical range -- tends to gradually increase with time.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 04 Jan 2021, 05:28.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 07 Jan 2021, 19:58, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
AjiteshArun GMATNinja nightblade354

Can you explain why option C is incorrect?

Negating C - If a population of a species in a particular area dies out, that species generally do repopulate that area. This would mean that the species that go extinct in small areas are repopulated again i.e. they are back to their original numbers. Then, the proportion of broad range species will not increase eventually. So, conclusion will not hold true, and hence C is an assumption.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [8]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Argp wrote:

Negating C - If a population of a species in a particular area dies out, that species generally do repopulate that area. This would mean that the species that go extinct in small areas are repopulated again i.e. they are back to their original numbers. Then, the proportion of broad range species will not increase eventually. So, conclusion will not hold true, and hence C is an assumption.

As we discussed in our previous post, the question is not asking for an assumption that is made by the argument. Rather, it’s asking for an assumption that, if made, ensures the conclusion follows logically. In other words, it’s not asking for a necessary assumption — something that must be true in order for the conclusion to be properly drawn. Instead, it’s asking for a sufficient assumption — something that, if true, means the conclusion MUST be true.

The negation technique only applies to necessary assumptions. But even there, we generally do not recommend it because it has its limitations as we discuss in this post.

With all that in mind, here’s (C):

Quote:

(C) tells us that when a population in a particular area dies out, the species generally does not repopulate that area.

Does that mean that it MUST be true that “it is likely that the proportion of species with broad ranges tends to gradually increase with time”? Not necessarily.

First, (C) only says that species generally don’t repopulate the area. Also, it’s possible that while (C) is true, the range occupied by a particular species is only a minor determinant in the ability of that species to survive over time. For both of those reasons, while (C) may strengthen the argument, it is not a SUFFICIENT assumption. Eliminate (C).

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Argp wrote:

As we discussed in our previous post, the question is not asking for an assumption that is made by the argument. Rather, it’s asking for an assumption that, if made, ensures the conclusion follows logically. In other words, it’s not asking for a necessary assumption — something that must be true in order for the conclusion to be properly drawn. Instead, it’s asking for a sufficient assumption — something that, if true, means the conclusion MUST be true.

The negation technique only applies to necessary assumptions. But even there, we generally do not recommend it because it has its limitations as we discuss in this post

This seems to me like a supporter vs defender type assumption. We are generally accustomed to supporter assumptions because they fill in the logical gaps / loophole in the argument. But in this case, the defender type assumption i.e. D allows the conclusion to be drawn from the given premises. Am i thinking this right? GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ?

That said, had C omitted the word "generally" it would have been a case of supporter type assumption?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65046 [2]
Send PM
Kudos