Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [2]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Send PM
Re: What is the slope of line l that does not pass through the origin? [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
To find the x-intercept of a line y = mx + b, we replace y with zero and solve for x. So if we solve 0 = mx + b for x, the value of x we'll find is the x-intercept. b is the y-intercept, so if Statement 1 is true, b = 0.5x, and 0 = mx + 0.5x, and since the x-intercept is nonzero (the line does not pass through the origin), we can divide both sides by x to find m = -0.5, and Statement 1 is sufficient.

Statement 2 is not sufficient, as any numerical examples will show. If the x-intercept is 2, say, then the slope of the line will be positive, but if x = 5, say, then it will be negative, so Statement 2 cannot be sufficient.

Hi IanStewart sir,

Can you please explain as to why are we not considering the absolute values of the intercepts while evaluating statement 1? If we consider absolute value of the intercepts, then the slope can be 1/2 or -1/2.

Let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

Regards
Lipun
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: What is the slope of line l that does not pass through the origin? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Lipun wrote:
Hi IanStewart sir,

Can you please explain as to why are we not considering the absolute values of the intercepts while evaluating statement 1? If we consider absolute value of the intercepts, then the slope can be 1/2 or -1/2.

I'm not sure I understand your question - why is it that you think we need to use absolute value here? Intercepts can be positive or negative. If Statement 1 is true, then one intercept is half of the other, so they must have the same sign. If a line's x-intercept and y-intercept have the same sign, the line's slope is automatically negative, so the slope cannot be 1/2.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Lipun wrote:
Hi IanStewart sir,

I'm not sure I understand your question - why is it that you think we need to use absolute value here? Intercepts can be positive or negative. If Statement 1 is true, then one intercept is half of the other, so they must have the same sign. If a line's x-intercept and y-intercept have the same sign, the line's slope is automatically negative, so the slope cannot be 1/2.

Hi IanStewart

Actually I had same question. According to statement 1, y intercept is half x intercept. For example, if y =1, then x=2 or y=-1 then x =-2 but why does it have to be same sign. We still could have y =1 and x=-2. I solved it conceptually because nothing in statement 1 indicates we have same sign. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
What is the slope of line l that does not pass through the origin? [#permalink]
Hi Lipun Mo2men

I don't understand why absolute values need to come into the picture.

Consider this, if the x-intercept of the line is \(a\), then the y intercept must be \(\frac{a}{2}\)

So the line passes through the points \((a,0)\) and \((0,\frac{a}{2})\)

We have a formula to calculate the slope of a line passing through the points \((x1,y1)\) and \((x2,y2)\)

\(Slope=\frac{y2-y1}{x2-x1}\)

Using this formula,

Slope of line \(l\) = \(\frac{\frac{a}{2}-0}{0-a}=-\frac{1}{2}\)

Hope this is clear

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Hi IanStewart

Actually I had same question. According to statement 1, y intercept is half x intercept. For example, if y =1, then x=2 or y=-1 then x =-2 but why does it have to be same sign. We still could have y =1 and x=-2. I solved it conceptually because nothing in statement 1 indicates we have same sign. Where did I go wrong?

The solution firas92 posted above is correct. You can't have y = 1 and x = -2, because 1 is not half of -2; -1 is half of -2.

I'm wondering if perhaps you and Lipun are interpreting Statement 1 to mean "the distance from the y-intercept to the origin is half of the distance from the x-intercept to the origin," or something similar. If Statement 1 did say that, then you would both be correct. But that's not what it says - it is describing the intercepts themselves, and intercepts are coordinates, not distances, so they can be positive or negative. If you divide an intercept by 2, the sign won't change.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts