Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Pack 6 Q5: The curator of the museum is eager... [#permalink]
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 6, Question 5 of 5:

The curator of the museum is eager to examine on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging.

A. on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging
B. about the artifacts archeologists found while at the dig site in Peru
C. into the archeologists’ artifacts found while digging in Peru
D. the artifacts archeologists found at the dig site in Peru
E. on the artifacts from the archeologists, found while at the dig site in Peru

Initial Scan gives us to examine on/about/into. But we examine the artifacts is correct as per the context.

Quote:
A. on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging

they cannot refer to possessive noun. Incorrect

Quote:

to examine about artifacts might be OK but while at the dig site is not correct
While is used to convey two actions happening simultaneously.

Quote:

to examine into artifacts not a conveyed meaning Incorrect

Quote:
D.the artifacts archeologists found at the dig site in Peru

Correct

Quote:

to examine on the artifacts is awkward also while at the dig site is not correct Incorrect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
The curator of the museum is eager to examine on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging.

Meaning: Someone is eager to examine ON the someones'artifacts found somewhere while they were digging. - Red flag to say examine on the someones'artifacts. Correct usage can be, examine someone on something, which doesn't apply in the example. Pronoun ambiguity error, usage of they.

A. on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging - incorrect as mentioned above.
B. about the artifacts archeologists found while at the dig site in Peru - examine about is somewhat weird idiom and nonsensical, but let's hold rather than rejecting.
C. into the archeologists’ artifacts found while digging in Peru- someone is eager to examine into the archeologists’ artifacts,, where??? Word about site is missing.
D. the artifacts archeologists found at the dig site in Peru - far better option till option D, seems correctly expressed that someone is eager to examine something archeologists found at the dig site in Peru.
E. on the artifacts from the archeologists, found while at the dig site in Peru - from the archeologists is unnecessarily wordy. found while at the dig site in Peru, comma before found is incorrect.

Imo. D.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Kudos
"Examine the X" is the most common idiom usage I have come across of the verb examine. The modifier "found at the dig site" should modify artifacts and is best placed closest to the noun.

The artifacts don't belong to archeologists.
Option D is better than this option. While is redundant.
Same error as A. The artifacts don't belong to archeologists.
Correct
This option also sounds as if the artifacts belong to archeologists.
The modifier found, a Verb-ed is modifying archeologists
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

A review of our answer choices shows that there is a split on how the underlined phrase starts—a preposition or a noun. There is also a split between the use of digging and dig.

When we see that we need to choose between a phrase that starts with a noun or one that starts with a preposition, we should always begin by looking at the non-underlined portion of the sentence. The sentence begins “The curator of the museum is eager to examine.” “Examine” is a transitive verb, which means it must have an object. A prepositional phrase cannot be the object of a verb. An object is always a noun or pronoun or, in some cases, a noun clause. Options A, B, C, and E all start with a preposition (on, about, into, and on, respectively), and a preposition cannot immediately follow a transitive verb. This means the only possible correct answer is Option D.

And just in case that seems a little too easy, we’ll quickly review some other issues with the incorrect answer options. Option A uses “at the site in Peru while they were digging.” This is wordy and redundant, and other options offer more concise ways of saying the same thing.

Option E makes it hard to tell if the phrase “found while at the dig site in Peru” is modifying “archeologists,” which would mean the archeologists were found at the dig site, and that makes no sense. An argument could be made, though it would be poor placement, that it is modifying artifacts, but then it would mean the artifacts were found while they were at the dig site in Peru, implying that sometimes the artifacts were at other dig sites. That is also nonsensical.

Option B could be clearer, because you could infer that the artifacts were found while the artifacts were digging in Peru. That is definitely illogical.

Now, this narrows our answer choices down to two, and once again, we’re left needing to simply know that transitive verbs are not followed by prepositions.

Option D is best answer.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
DinoPen wrote:
I said D.
I took out A because 'to examine on the archeologists' artifacts' is idiomatically incorrect (I think? - It does not sound right) Also, 'they' is vague, and if it refers to the curator, then the subject-verb agreement is incorrect.
I took out B because 'to examine about' is idiomatically incorrect. (How do you examine about?)
My reasoning is the same for C and E.

Great job, DinoPen! You cracked the code! You are correct that "to examine" can't be followed by a preposition - hence why "to examine on" and "to examine about" sounded wrong to you. :)

I can't wait to see more great explanations in Pack 7!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 6, Question 5 of 5:

The initial scan tells us an idiom is in play "on/about/into" but let's say we don't know what idiom is right. So let's ignore it and move on.

If we think about "what" the curator is eager to examine? The answer is artifacts so answer is straight D but let's not jump to conclusion. We can keep this in mind though.

Quote:

They should jump right out at us. And "they" is ambiguous here or rather we can say it cannot refer back to archeologists because they don't exist in the sentence. So A is out.

Quote:

"examine about the artifacts". But examine what about them? We have no idea. Also, the tense makes no sense now. "while" at the dig site? while digging may be?
Weird enough to get eliminated.
Quote:

So now we are saying the artifacts belong to archeologists? They have the ownership? No. We are saying they found artifacts. Also, examine into ? Into what?

Quote:

Let's just compare last 2 side by side. From our previous learnings, we can see similar issues with option E. Examine on the artifiacts? What on the artifacts? Also, the tense issue with while is still here.

D is a better choice.

P.S: I am not 100% sure but we will see :)

Well done, TheNightKing! You cracked the code on this one! Great explanations for each option, and I like that you also shared your thought process! I'm looking forward to seeing more great explanations from you in Pack 7. These are tough questions, and you've done a great job helping yourself and others learn how to beat them!

Kudos to you!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 6, Question 5 of 5:

Initial Scan gives us to examine on/about/into. But we examine the artifacts is correct as per the context.

Quote:

they cannot refer to possessive noun. Incorrect

Quote:

to examine about artifacts might be OK but while at the dig site is not correct
While is used to convey two actions happening simultaneously.

Quote:

to examine into artifacts not a conveyed meaning Incorrect

Quote:
D.the artifacts archeologists found at the dig site in Peru

Correct

Quote:

to examine on the artifacts is awkward also while at the dig site is not correct Incorrect

Well done, NandishSS! You cracked the code on this one! I like how you set up your explanation - it's easy to read and follow. I can't wait to see more great responses from you in Pack 7!

Kudos to you!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Raxit85 wrote:

Meaning: Someone is eager to examine ON the someones'artifacts found somewhere while they were digging. - Red flag to say examine on the someones'artifacts. Correct usage can be, examine someone on something, which doesn't apply in the example. Pronoun ambiguity error, usage of they.

A. on the archeologists’ artifacts found at the site in Peru while they were digging - incorrect as mentioned above.
B. about the artifacts archeologists found while at the dig site in Peru - examine about is somewhat weird idiom and nonsensical, but let's hold rather than rejecting.
C. into the archeologists’ artifacts found while digging in Peru- someone is eager to examine into the archeologists’ artifacts,, where??? Word about site is missing.
D. the artifacts archeologists found at the dig site in Peru - far better option till option D, seems correctly expressed that someone is eager to examine something archeologists found at the dig site in Peru.
E. on the artifacts from the archeologists, found while at the dig site in Peru - from the archeologists is unnecessarily wordy. found while at the dig site in Peru, comma before found is incorrect.

Imo. D.

Posted from my mobile device

Well done, Raxit85! Great breakdown of how you found the problems in the original sentence and how you focused on those in the 5 options. I'm excited to see more great answers from you in Pack 7! Kudos to you!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
suchithra wrote:
"Examine the X" is the most common idiom usage I have come across of the verb examine. The modifier "found at the dig site" should modify artifacts and is best placed closest to the noun.

The artifacts don't belong to archeologists.
Option D is better than this option. While is redundant.
Same error as A. The artifacts don't belong to archeologists.
Correct
This option also sounds as if the artifacts belong to archeologists.
The modifier found, a Verb-ed is modifying archeologists

Well done, suchithra! You cracked the code on this one! I also appreciate that you added in your thought process so others could see how you came to find the correct answer. :)

Kudos to you!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts