GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Mar 2018, 08:47
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 446 sessions

73% (02:47) correct 27% (03:15) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 449 sessions

84% (00:58) correct 16% (01:20) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 448 sessions

84% (00:49) correct 16% (00:56) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 424 sessions

84% (01:06) correct 16% (01:38) wrong

White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but appear as a result of a recessive trait that rarely occurs in the wild. In the 1950s many zoos deliberately and indiscriminately bred white tigers, but more recently, concerns about the desirability of preserving a trait that presumably hinders tigers` to survive in the wild, and recognition that inbreeding could lead to genetic defects, have caused most zoos to such practices. However, some zoo managers argue that the popularity of white tigers provides income important to the survival of zoo sponsored scientific and conservation programs. They also point out that most of the white tigers captured in the wild were adults, proving that their coloration does not hinder their survival ability.

Opponents of white-tiger breeding programs argue that white tigers are merely Indian tigers-a subspecies well represented in both zoos and the wild-and that zoos should focus their tiger management efforts on preserving subspecies whose existence is threatened, thus preventing the Chinese and Indochinese tiger subspecies from joining the Javan, Balinese, and Caspian subspecies in extinction. Alternatively, zoos could mingle the subspecies and manage all tigers in captivity as one species. Although subspecies differences would be lost, this strategy would be advantageous because fewer animals would be necessary to maintain the genetic diversity of tigers in captivity, making scarce zoo resources available for housing other endangered felines.

Q1 The passage suggests that, compared with other tiger subspecies, the Indian tiger is

A less threatened by extinction
B less readily bred in captivity less
C likely to survive in the wild
D more likely to be bred indiscriminately
E more popular with 200 visitors

Q2 The "Opponents of white-tiger breeding programs" mentioned in the highlighted text advocate that zoos use their resources to

A promote public awareness of environmental threats to tiger habitats
B allow zoos to house enough tigers to ensure genetic diversity among Indian tigers
C study ways to increase the survival rates of white tigers in the wild
D investigate ways of maintaining the white tigers already in zoos
E preserve tiger subspecies that may be endangered

Q3 The author of the passage suggests that if all tigers in captivity were managed as one species, then zoos would be able to

A use their resources to preserve a variety of other felines
B increase public interest in tigers and thus attract more visitors and income
C provide better habitats for tigers than they currently do
D prevent the extinction of existing tiger subspecies
E continue breeding white tigers

Q4 Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence in the first paragraph of the passage (see highlighted text)?

A To emphasize the importance of white tigers as source of zoo income
B To point out the advantages to white tigers of living in the wild
C To provide evidence counter to an argument against the breeding of white tigers
D To suggest that white tigers living in the wild are less to face extinction than tigers fiving in zoos
E To suggest that white tigers are not endangered

TD

Originally posted by Tridhipal on 30 Mar 2018, 01:03.
Last edited by Tridhipal on 30 Mar 2018, 08:47, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
Re: Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 01:08
Admins or Experts...I have faced an issue while posting this RC in the forum. Couldn't align the Options and the Questions . It would great if anyone can help or suggest on this.. Thanks in Advance.

TD

VP
VP
D
Re: Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 05:02
Tridhipal wrote:
White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but appear as a result of a recessive trait that rarely occurs in the wild. In the 1950s many zoos deliberately and indiscriminately bred white tigers, but more recently, concerns about the desirability of preserving a trait that presumably hinders tigers` to survive in the wild, and recognition that inbreeding could lead to genetic defects, have caused most zoos to such practices. However, some zoo managers argue that the popularity of white tigers provides income important to the survival of zoo sponsored scientific and conservation programs. They also point out that most of the white tigers captured in the wild were adults, proving that their coloration does not hinder their survival ability.

Opponents of white-tiger breeding programs argue that white tigers are merely Indian tigers-a subspecies well represented in both zoos and the wild-and that zoos should focus their tiger management efforts on preserving subspecies whose existence is threatened, thus preventing the Chinese and Indochinese tiger subspecies from joining the Javan, Balinese, and Caspian subspecies in extinction. Alternatively, zoos could mingle the subspecies and manage all tigers in captivity as one species. Although subspecies differences would be lost, this strategy would be advantageous because fewer animals would be necessary to maintain the genetic diversity of tigers in captivity, making scarce zoo resources available for housing other endangered felines.
Q1 The passage suggests that, compared with other tiger subspecies, the Indian tiger is

A less threatened by extinction
B less readily bred in captivity less
C likely to survive in the wild
D more likely to be bred indiscriminately
E more popular with 200 visitors

Q2 The "Opponents of white-tiger breeding programs" mentioned in the highlighted text advocate that zoos use their resources to

A promote public awareness of environmental threats to tiger habitats
B allow zoos to house enough tigers to ensure genetic diversity among Indian tigers
C study ways to increase the survival rates of white tigers in the wild
D investigate ways of maintaining the white tigers already in zoos
E preserve tiger subspecies that may be endangered

Q3 The author of the passage suggests that if all tigers in captivity were managed as one species, then zoos would be able to

A use their resources to preserve a variety of other felines
B increase public interest in tigers and thus attract more visitors and income
C provide better habitats for tigers than they currently do
D prevent the extinction of existing tiger subspecies
E continue breeding white tigers

Q4 Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence in the first paragraph of the passage (see highlighted text)?

C To provide evidence counter to an argument against the breeding of white tigers
D To suggest that white tigers living in the wild are less to face extinction than tigers fiving in zoos

thanks for posting Tridhipal :) answered all questions corretly, let me know if you have any questions :)
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 05:07
Hi dave13 Please explain Q4 why not the answer is Option E?

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 06:38
gmatexam439 sir Your inputs please on last question

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously

VP
VP
D
Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 07:05
vasuca10 wrote:
Hi dave13 Please explain Q4 why not the answer is Option E?

vasuca10 hi there :)

the first para of the passage BRIEFLY: many zoos deliberately and indiscriminately bred white tigers. this practice raised concern that doing so will endanger the tigers` surving skills in the wilde jungle :) BUT zoo managers claim that it is is not true by providing evidence - and this evidence is that they caught adult tigers in the wild - which means that tigers surving skills were not impared by deliberate and indiscriminate breeding. Hence highlighted potion provides evidence counter to an argument against the breeding of white tigers.

E is not correct, because they are NOT suggesting, BUT they are providing E V I D E N C E :)

'White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but appear as a result of a recessive trait that rarely occurs in the wild. In the 1950s many zoos deliberately and indiscriminately bred white tigers, but more recently, concerns about the desirability of preserving a trait that presumably hinders tigers` to survive in the wild, and recognition that inbreeding could lead to genetic defects, have caused most zoos to such practices. However, some zoo managers argue that the popularity of white tigers provides income important to the survival of zoo sponsored scientific and conservation programs. They also point out that most of the white tigers captured in the wild were adults, proving that their coloration does not hinder their survival ability."

let me know if it helps or not :)

cheers
D
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 10:15
vasuca10

SOLVING BY LOGIC

Quote:

Quote:
In the 1950s many zoos deliberately and indiscriminately bred white tigers,

Zoos deliberately bred white tigers earlier (no reason is given for older times) BUT now they breed because of 2 reasons:
1. concerns about the desirability of preserving a trait that presumably hinders tigers` to survive in the wild -- according to the zoo officials "being white" causes the tigers to NOT survive in the wild
2. recognition that inbreeding could lead to genetic defects -- interbreeding could cause genetic defects so they want to confine them

Quote:
However,

Remember that the 'Tone' is changing.

Quote:
some zoo managers argue that

1. the popularity of white tigers provides income -- A new reason for keeping white tigers in zoo
2. most of the white tigers captured in the wild were adults, proving that their coloration does not hinder their survival ability -- they are contradicting the point #1 above. That means we can they are contradicting the previously mentioned reasons for keeping tigers in zoo -- interbreeding one.

Thus C is out answer.

SOLVING BY POE

A To emphasize the importance of white tigers as source of zoo income - This is one of the reasons for keeping white tigers in zoo. The highlighted text is NOT related to this
B To point out the advantages to white tigers of living in the wild - The text is not an advantage. It is just a statement that "the captured white tigers are adults SO THEY CAN SURVIVE".
C To provide evidence counter to an argument against the breeding of white tigers - Looks good. Hold
D To suggest that white tigers living in the wild are less to face extinction than tigers fiving in zoos - There is no such comparison
E To suggest that white tigers are not endangered - point about "endangered" is in para #2. The last line refutes an assumption present in the 1st para itself.

Hence, answer must be C

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 10:31
Thanks dave13 and gmatexam439 sir for the detailed explanation :-)
Crystal clear now......

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 03:26
I think the difficulty of the passage and its questions are rather in the sub-600 level category...

Maybe a moderator could adjust the tag:)

Quantitative Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gmat-quantitative-megathread-244512.html
Verbal Megathread:https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need-for-gmat-verbal-164070.html
Flashcards Quant + Verbal:https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-flashcards-108651.html
Thursdays with Ron:https://gmatclub.com/forum/manhattan-s-thursdays-with-ron-consolidated-video-index-223612.html#p2138753

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 13:53
could anyone explain the first question? I cannot see specifically any word "Indian" in the first para.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 17:25
faltan - Please refer following lines in P2.

white tigers are merely Indian tigers-a subspecies well represented in both zoos and the wild-and that zoos should focus their tiger management efforts on preserving subspecies whose existence is threatened.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2018, 17:25

Paragraph White tigers are neither a species nor a subspecies, but

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap