GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Parallelism- when to use verb-ing and when not to? Experts Please Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Parallelism- when to use verb-ing and when not to? Experts Please Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Oct 2018, 14:23
Guys, I am really confused when I get a question on parallelism. I am able to eliminate three choices; however, I am confused between the choice having verb+ing and the choice having to+verb. I really don't understand how to approach such questions. Please help me on this.

For example :
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-nex ... 35177.html

VS

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-study- ... 92666.html

What am I missing to understand? How should I approach such Questions?

Originally posted by sriramsundaram91 on 12 Oct 2018, 17:53.
Last edited by sriramsundaram91 on 13 Oct 2018, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
G
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Parallelism- when to use verb-ing and when not to? Experts Please Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 02:42
sriramsundaram91 wrote:
Guys, I am really confused when I get a question on parallelism. I am able to eliminate three choices; however, I am confused between the choice having verb+ing and the choice having to+verb. I really don't understand how to approach such questions. Please help me on this.

For example :
Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which would rob the oysters there of their flavor, and to make them decrease in size, less distinctive, and less in demand.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-nex ... 35177.html

VS

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-study- ... 92666.html

What am I missing to understand? How should I approach such Questions?

The first question is using a verb-ing modifier

“Could alter the salinate content of ...” robbing.

The other question is using the word ability

As an idiom it is ability to verb

So it has to be ability to distinguish.

I hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Parallelism- when to use verb-ing and when not to? Experts Please Help   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 02:42

Parallelism- when to use verb-ing and when not to? Experts Please Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics