GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Part-Time MBA Chances / Prospects?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Part-Time MBA Chances / Prospects?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 07:07
Undergrad: Purdue University
Major: Industrial Management with Concentration on Electrical Computer Engineering. Was in engineering for 3 years before switching majors. Finished in 5 years. Took a graduate level case analysis/study course, got the top grade in the class (only one A was given)
GPA: ~2.82 (combined with 2 CC classes). Two grades unrelated to my major(thermodynamics and a grad level engineering course) really brought this GPA down.
GRE: 163 Math 155 Verbal 5.0/6.0 Writing (~680 GMAT equivalent, going to take the GMAT)

Work Experience:
1.5 years in Technical Consulting (small consulting firm)
1 year with as a Technical Product Manager at a well known financial company
>3 years in Government Contracting/Consulting as a Software Engineer. Recently promoted to a lead/managerial position

Extracurriculars:
Founded a start-up that had some traction but had to pull the plug on.
Sponsored / Nationally ranked athlete in a not very popular sport.
Some volunteer experience at the local library
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Part-Time MBA Chances / Prospects?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 13:08
Hi d3mentia,

Thank you for your post. Can you give some clarifying points about why are you seeking an MBA? And why now? You, indeed, have a low GPA, that will require clarification. Having an excellent GRE score will counterbalance the less than ideal GPA. I do not recommend you study for GMAT. Since you are already familiar with the GRE structure, your time is best spent on preparing for and retaking the GRE.

I am happy to continue the conversation and learn about your MBA aspirations. If interested, please reach out to coordinate a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

d3mentia wrote:

Major: Industrial Management with Concentration on Electrical Computer Engineering. Was in engineering for 3 years before switching majors. Finished in 5 years. Took a graduate level case analysis/study course, got the top grade in the class (only one A was given)
GPA: ~2.82 (combined with 2 CC classes). Two grades unrelated to my major(thermodynamics and a grad level engineering course) really brought this GPA down.
GRE: 163 Math 155 Verbal 5.0/6.0 Writing (~680 GMAT equivalent, going to take the GMAT)

Work Experience:
>3 years in Government Contracting/Consulting as a Software Engineer. Recently promoted to a lead/managerial position

Extracurriculars:

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 13:57
Do you think my other statistics / work experience make me a candidate for some decent MBA programs though? Also, I sent you a PM :-)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 15:05
d3mentia wrote:

Work Experience:

Extracurriculars:

i think to give your application more legitimacy, you should definitely take the gmat instead. glad you are already considering it.

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 16:17
Hi d3mentia,

your work experience is just fine. Just make sure you are able to show significant career progression over time.

Your start-up experience will also be interesting from an applications perspective. I'm sure there were key learnings there.

The rest of extracurriculars also look fine. If you could engage more in community service it would be great though.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 05:25
d3mentia wrote:

Work Experience:

Extracurriculars:

Your profile definitely works for part-time MBA programs, so no worries there. Do you already have some programs that you are considering?
(If not, here is a current ranking for the top part-time ones that might come in handy: https://aringo.com/part-time-mba-programs/)

I am asking as some of the part-time programs are significantly more competitive than others, just like regular MBA programs, and therefore harder to get into of course.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Re: Part-Time MBA Chances / Prospects? &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 05:25

Part-Time MBA Chances / Prospects?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap