Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Part-time MBA programs in California [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitbizschool wrote:
Hi Linda,

- Software Engineer in the Silicon Valley with 5 years of experience.
- Ethnically Indian (male/28). I understand that I’m part of the over-represented pool.
- Undergraduate GPA - First Class from Bombay University - (I'm not very sure about the conversion to the GPA system)
- Masters Degree in CS from a top 15 engineering school in the US. GPA 3.85/4.00
- I’ve been doing well at work (at a reputed tech company ) and can get good (hopefully) recommendation letters from my manager and the director.

My top picks are UC Berkeley(Haas), UCLA (Anderson). Not sure if I stand a chance at Kellogg, Booth. And, I'm not sure about Leavey's reputation.

Thanks,
-Rohit

Rohit,

You have a competitive profile for Haas' part-time program and also for UCLA's and USC's part-time programs. You would also have a competitive shot at Booth's and Kellogg's part-time programs. The full-time programs would be a stretch. Regarding Leavey, I think it's a personal decision. The reputation of any of the other programs stretches much wider than that of Leavey. My guess is that there are probably also educational benefits, and more diverse student bodies at the programs other than Leavey, but how much does it matter to you? Do you need that enough to go through the hassle and expense of flying down to LA?

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Linda,

I'd certainly fly down to LA for UCLA.
I just figured that at USC, the second and third year electives are offered during the week. So, I guess, USC is not an option for me.
As for Kellogg and Booth, I've heard that the projects meeting your peers during the week, so it really isn't geared toward fly-ins.

I'm certainly applying to UCLA and Haas. In your professional capacity, have you helped part-time applicants get into either of the programs with a profile (work exp, education, background) similar to mine? I've head that it could be similar to many other prospective applicants and that it's an over-represented pool.

Regarding Leavey, I'm in a dilemma. I'm trying to figure things out by posting on forums and gathering information. I'm certainly going to visit the school but their opinion could potentially be biased.

thanks,
-Rohit
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitbizschool wrote:
Linda,

I'd certainly fly down to LA for UCLA.
I just figured that at USC, the second and third year electives are offered during the week. So, I guess, USC is not an option for me.
As for Kellogg and Booth, I've heard that the projects meeting your peers during the week, so it really isn't geared toward fly-ins.

I'm certainly applying to UCLA and Haas. In your professional capacity, have you helped part-time applicants get into either of the programs with a profile (work exp, education, background) similar to mine? I've head that it could be similar to many other prospective applicants and that it's an over-represented pool.

Regarding Leavey, I'm in a dilemma. I'm trying to figure things out by posting on forums and gathering information. I'm certainly going to visit the school but their opinion could potentially be biased.

thanks,
-Rohit

Rohit,

We have worked with applicants like you (Indian IT male) to these programs. You are from an over-represented groupin the applicant pool. That's true. But according to you, you have done well professionally. You have good grades from college and excellent grades in your MS. Your GMAT is competitive and even a little above average for these part-time programs. I think you have a very good chance at these schools, but obviously I can't guarantee your acceptance. I think it is certainly a good investment of time, money, and energy for you to apply. It's worth it. (and if you read my posts, I spend a lot of time telling people not to apply.)

If you would like help with your MBA applications, please consider Accepted.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Linda,
Thanks so much for your advice. I'd certainly consider Accepted. Can you please shed more light on the Essay Editing services?
I read the 'MBA Essay Review & Editing' section at https://www.accepted.com/services/mba/ad ... eview.aspx . How many hours of essay-editing-consulting does a typical application take? Do you have an office in the Bay Area?

Also, have you worked with part-time applicants from the West Coast applying to Kellogg/Booth?

thanks,
-Rohit
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitbizschool wrote:
Linda,
Thanks so much for your advice. I'd certainly consider Accepted. Can you please shed more light on the Essay Editing services?
I read the 'MBA Essay Review & Editing' section at https://www.accepted.com/services/mba/ad ... eview.aspx . How many hours of essay-editing-consulting does a typical application take? Do you have an office in the Bay Area?

Also, have you worked with part-time applicants from the West Coast applying to Kellogg/Booth?

thanks,
-Rohit

Rohit,

Thanks for your interest in our MBA essay editing.

The applications vary so much and the writing quality of the applicants varies so much that it is really hard to say. We do, however, give free estimate. Fill out the short form here and you will be connected to an editor. Send in your essays, and we'll give you an estimate. A very general guideline is 1.5-2 hours total for a 500-750 word essay for your first school. Usually later schools' essays take less time. But an informed estimate for you is really much better than this guideline.

We do not have an office in the Bay Area. We work remotely with almost all our clients, and our clients are around the world. We do have several consultants on Pacific Time, which makes scheduling calls easier when a call is necessary.

We have worked with several applicants each year for years to Kellogg and Both's part-time programs. I believe that some were on the West Coast, but we haven't tracked it in that way. Again, we work with clients from around the globe applying to schools around the globe.

I hope we can work with you too.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot