GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 59
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2018, 03:48
14
94
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:04) correct 55% (01:28) wrong based on 2616 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.


(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figure

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

Originally posted by arj_singh1976 on 15 Feb 2007, 05:06.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Dec 2018, 03:48, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2795
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Aug 2013, 08:11
11
5
Image


Hi All,

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.


Image

The key to get to the right answer is to understand the meaning of the sentence. This sentence is about Patience Lovell Wright who travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 years. Wright became well known for two reasons:
1. For her eccentric personality.
2. For her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Image

The entities following both the “as” must be parallel to each other.

POE:

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again the entities following “as” are not parallel. We need something parallel “having” after the second “as”.

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again, the entities following the two “as” are nit parallel.

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. Incorrect. “for having” after first “as” in not parallel to “having” after the second “as”.

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Correct. “for her…” is parallel to “for her skillful…”.

Image

1. In a list, the entity following the first marker should be parallel to the entity following the second marker.
2. We should use comparative degree (much) only when we are comparing two entities.

Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com


Originally posted by egmat on 30 Apr 2012, 10:13.
Last edited by egmat on 09 Aug 2013, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 51
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Aug 2014, 00:36
17
Hi Experts,
In the following question:

Q:Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Could any body explain 'became well known' or 'became as well known' is correct?

Also for me B is looking good because as much ......as is idiomatically correct...and the the phrases following as much and as are also parallel....

Thanks
-Amit

Originally posted by amitanand on 02 Feb 2010, 17:26.
Last edited by pqhai on 23 Aug 2014, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 244
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2008, 10:56
2
Firstly marcodonzelli I very much agree with you to have high scores we all need to reason our answers.
I did most of the times.But missed a few :lol:

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
Eliminated=>
1. because of having is wordy.
2. "of having" and "for having" not parallel

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
Hold it
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
not parallel ... its very clear
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
not parallel ... its very clear ;
1. X became as well ( known ...) as ( having ...)
2. X became well as much ( for .... ) as ( for ...)
I find the construction [2] better than [1].

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
Same as D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 768
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 08:03
1
1
E.

B and E are contenders.
Now, in B something which is possessed by Wright is compared with something which he/she is doing.

In E, something which Wright possesses(personality) is compared with something which Wright possesses(skillful renderings)
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4624
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:58
4
1
The given text is a test of symmetrical //ism in a two part sentence. This is not testing the correctness of either 'became well known' or 'became as well known'. Both are correct in their own right in appropriate contexts.


(A) well known ‘as much because of having an eccentric personality ‘as for having’ ------- un//.


(B) well known ‘as much for having an eccentric personality’ ‘as for skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figure. …..un//

(C) well known ‘as much because of her’ eccentric personality ‘as she was for’ her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. …..un//

(D) as well known ‘for having an eccentric’ personality ‘as having skillfully’ rendered popular public figures in wax. ----- un//

(E)’as well known for her eccentric’ personality ‘as for her skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figures. …… // correct choice


Quote:
Also for me B is looking good because as much ......as is idiomatically correct...and the phrases following as much and as are also parallel...


Nope; B flouts the //ism by missing something similar to ‘having’ in the second arm
_________________

you can know a lot about something but not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 276
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 09:23
1
E

Q:Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

as much because is unidiomatic and awkward- hence a, and c are out.

having is just verbose - it is not required. So b and d are out.

But if E were not right and one had to pick between B and D, i would go with B. I think D is superficially parallel and also introduces "as well known" which leans towards a comparison.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1010
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 22:06
9
3
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
bumping up for more discussions....
As much as X as Y
As X as Y

Does both have the same meaning.????


Hi AMITAGARWAL2

As far as I know, you're comparing two structures:
(1) adjective as X as Y
(2) as + adjective + X as [adjective] + Y


The difference between the two is the position of the adjective. If we use grammars correctly, the meanings of two structures are the same. A major of problem of this structure is parallelism.

For example:
(1) Peter is attractive as for his good looking face as for his sport abilities.
(2) Peter is as attractive for his good looking face as [attractive] for his sport abilities.

Two sentences have the same meaning.

Back to the question, you can see option B and E for details.
B: ....well known as much for X as for Y.
E: ....as well known for X as [well known] for Y.

Technically, if X and Y are parallel, there is no problem. Option, B, nonetheless, is wrong because "for having ..." and "for her skillful..." are not grammatically parallel. The correct structure should be "for having X as for having Y".

Only option E, which say Lovell Wright became well known for two reasons: "her eccentric personality" and "her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures" is correct.

Hope it helps
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 124
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 11:57
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:33
2
1
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

maaadhu wrote:
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,

Dear maaadhu,
This is a subtle issue about parallelism. When prepositional phrases are in parallel, then as a general rule (not 100%, but a general rule), parallelism requires the same preposition. Especially if the parallelism is a comparison of two elements, so that we are striving to show the contrast of these two elements as clearly as possible, then parallelism almost always demands the same preposition. Think about the poor general reader of this sentence. This reader starts finding out about Ms. Wright, and when the reader gets to the words "became as well known for ...", the poor reader has to keep track of the fact that (1) thing #1, immediately after those words, will be something Ms. Wright was known for; (2) a some point latter in the sentence, there will be a thing #2, that is also something Ms. Wright was known for; (3) the sentence is saying that Ms. Wright was known for thing #1 and thing #2 equally well. That's a ton of logical connections all at once! If we are demanding that much of the reader, at the very least, we want to make it crystal clear where thing #1 ends and thing #2 begins, and we do that by using the exact same preposition as a marker of the transition.

In shorter sentences, in which the structure is not complicated, we might use two different prepositions, but in a longer sentence such as this, we need to repeat the same preposition for clarity.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2013, 02:34
in the pattern "for having" , "having" is used as gerund, which refers to a general action rather than the action of a specific noun in the main clause. This use is not logic because "having" should refer to "wax" in the main clause.

is my thinking correct? pls comment.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2013, 13:30
vietmoi999 wrote:
in the pattern "for having" , "having" is used as gerund, which refers to a general action rather than the action of a specific noun in the main clause. This use is not logic because "having" should refer to "wax" in the main clause.

is my thinking correct? pls comment.

Dear Vietmoi,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

It's perfectly correct that "having", where is appears, is a gerund. A gerund isn't inherently wrong in this context --- it's just that the parallelism is very tricky. For example, if we tweaked (A) to say:

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

That's correct --- two gerunds in perfect parallelism ---- ".... know as much for having P as for having Q." Admittedly, the way (E) expresses the idea is even more eloquent, but this phrasing is grammatically correct, including correct parallelism. The use of gerunds is fine. Here's an article on gerunds:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:30
1
1
HarishLearner wrote:
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

Here's a blog about the Idioms of Comparison:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:59
ayushman wrote:
D changes the meaning.

Patience Lovell Wright became well known for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

This could mean she just "had" skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. The point is that those skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax were actually "her's".

Dear ayushman,
I agree something is ambiguous in the wording, but we don't have to read it in a way that changes the meaning. You were interpreting the gerund, the object of the preposition "for", as "having", and then "skillfully rendered popular public figures" is what she had. Indeed, that interpretation does change the meaning.
Instead, I would argue that the gerund is "having ... rendered" ---- this is the gerund form of the perfect participle. In other words, she was the creator of the "popular public figures." Other examples
...famous for having written a novel ...
...famous for having spoken to Edison...
...famous for having sailed around the world ...

Given multiple possibilities, we really have to choose the one that doesn't change the meaning.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 6
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 05:26
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 12:03
2
1
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.

Dear crazykaushik,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

What you are asking touches on the very tricky idea of dropping common words in parallel. See this blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping- ... -the-gmat/

Here's version (E):
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
Here' the parallelism with the omitted words:
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became
//as well known for her eccentric personality
//as [well known] for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
You see, the second occurrence of "well known" is implied, but if we actually stated it, the sentence would sound awkward and redundant.

The GMAT loves this grammatical structure, because if you don't recognize what's missing, the sentence will look wrong. It's all about being mindful of what's not there!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7212
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2015, 20:08
1
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.



h Kaushik,

firstly lets see why B is wrong..
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
if you look at the two phrases in red, they are not parallel... her skillful wax renderings is noun phrase whereas having an eccentric personality is present participle phrase...

now lets look at E..
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
here both the phrases are noun phrase and follow proper parallelism
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1066
Location: India
GPA: 3.31
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 00:13
2
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.

Hi Kaushik, would you say:

(i) He was as good in cricket as in football (structure of option E).

Or would you say:

(ii) He was good as much in cricket as in football (structure of option B).

Hopefully in this simplified version, it is easy to see that (i) is correct. Hence, option E is correct.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2015
Posts: 40
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 19:43
Doesn't E change the meaning?
Are we trying to explain why A is as popular as B or are we trying to find out reasons for popularity of A?? Experts please help :!:
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 09:47
1
Shreks1190 wrote:
Doesn't E change the meaning?
Are we trying to explain why A is as popular as B or are we trying to find out reasons for popularity of A?? Experts please help :!:

Dear Shreks1190,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Choice (E) does NOT change the meaning. Here's the question again:

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.


First of all, if it may make a suggestion, if you are using "algebraic" letters to talk about elements of a GMAT SC problem, please avoid the first five letters of the alphabet, to avoid obvious confusion with answer choices. There are 21 other letters in the alphabet available as algebraic symbols.

The intent of the sentence to say that Mr. Wright is equally well-known for both X and Y. It is simultaneously is a statement about why she is famous as well as a comparison of these two different reasons why she is famous. The logical framing device in the prompt is

Patience Lovell Wright ... became well known as much because of X as for Y.

The as much P as Q structure is a standard comparison frame, and the GMAT loves to put phrases & clauses into this. Here, in (A), there are two mismatched preposition---a failure of parallelism, even though the meaning is clear. Among other things, (E) expresses this same meaning with a correct parallel structure.

My friend, I am going to recommend this blog article for you:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad &nbs [#permalink] 07 May 2015, 09:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.