Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

After the MBA programme I would like to pursue a career in Marketing, preferably Marketing Research. I've heard that doing a sales job before moving into Marketing would be a good idea.

However, I do not have much exposure in this field. There are a few instances though, where I have been able to display some Marketing skills(mostly when interacting with clients).

These are my short term goals:

In the next 5-10 years, after the completion of my graduate degree, I would like to become a marketing executive for either a well established company or a startup. I believe both companies would offer a unique work environment. For example, a well established company would already have all its systems in place and would already have established itself in the market. Also, such a company would already have a customer base, Here I see myself as holding a position where I could make strategies to expand the current customer base while keeping the current customer base happy(by finding out their wants).
A startup company would not have a well established customer base and would have to prove itself in the market. Here, I see myself holding a position in which I can contribute to the initial planning and strategy involved to enter a market. I see myself as using my logical expertise in extrapolating market data to provide market entry strategies. I would also have to use my interpersonal skills to interact with potential customers and convince them to use our products.

Regards,
Sachin

PS: Thanks so much for the help.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
sachinzeus wrote:
Hi Paul,

After the MBA programme I would like to pursue a career in Marketing, preferably Marketing Research. I've heard that doing a sales job before moving into Marketing would be a good idea.

However, I do not have much exposure in this field. There are a few instances though, where I have been able to display some Marketing skills(mostly when interacting with clients).

These are my short term goals:

In the next 5-10 years, after the completion of my graduate degree, I would like to become a marketing executive for either a well established company or a startup. I believe both companies would offer a unique work environment. For example, a well established company would already have all its systems in place and would already have established itself in the market. Also, such a company would already have a customer base, Here I see myself as holding a position where I could make strategies to expand the current customer base while keeping the current customer base happy(by finding out their wants).
A startup company would not have a well established customer base and would have to prove itself in the market. Here, I see myself holding a position in which I can contribute to the initial planning and strategy involved to enter a market. I see myself as using my logical expertise in extrapolating market data to provide market entry strategies. I would also have to use my interpersonal skills to interact with potential customers and convince them to use our products.

Regards,
Sachin

PS: Thanks so much for the help.

Sachin,

Thanks. Given your marketing goals and what I know of your profile you may have a chance at Duke, Texas, and UNC and will have a chance at Wisconsin, USC Marshall, and Indiana--all ranked marketing programs. The key issue will not be that you are "Male-Indian-IT" but that you be able to show real leadership and impact in and outside or work and -- as you noted -- that you be able to emphasize all that is unique about you.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]