GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance
Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 75
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Apr 2019, 20:53
1
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

36% (01:09) correct 64% (01:13) wrong based on 174 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog is called Konyo English

A. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog
B. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
C. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of them
D. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
E. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog


I am confused between B & E.

_________________
kudos please

Originally posted by hideyoshi on 17 May 2010, 20:13.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Apr 2019, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4717
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Apr 2019, 06:15
7
I wish to refer to two or three aspects of this text.

In Choice B, what does the relative pronoun “which” stand for? It is supposed to refer to Englog, but I wonder whether it does. This ambiguity leaves room to doubt that it might well refer to Tagalog words. The intent of the passage is entirely changed then. This is the pitfall of B. By making it clear that the most commonly spoken form of Englog is Konyo English, E is unambiguous.

A semicolon is required to separate two independent and at the same time related clauses. E satisfies this condition too.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest

Originally posted by daagh on 15 Dec 2010, 08:55.
Last edited by daagh on 10 Apr 2019, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 209
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 09:12
1
susuana wrote:
Yes it's B

There is no need for a semi colon. You would only use a semi colon to connect independent clauses.

the most commonly spoken form of Englog is not independent.


"The most commonly spoken form of Englog is called Kongo English" is an independent clause. And I think unless the sentence was better expressed in a shorter construction in B, then E is just as correct as B.
_________________
Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1661
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2013, 09:15
hideyoshi wrote:
People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog is called Konyo English

A. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog
B. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
C. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of them
D. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
E. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog

OA=B


I am confused between B & E.


Guys so is there consensus on whether the answer is B or E finally?

I go for E of course

Cheers
J :)
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 69
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2013, 09:41
1
jlgdr wrote:
hideyoshi wrote:
People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog is called Konyo English

A. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog
B. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
C. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of them
D. uses Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words,the most commonly spoken form of which
E. use Englog, an informal type of English merged with Tagalog words;the most commonly spoken form of Englog

OA=B


I am confused between B & E.


Guys so is there consensus on whether the answer is B or E finally?

I go for E of course

Cheers
J :)


From what I can tell, the consensus here is that (1) no one can track down the original question and (2) you probably won't encounter anything like this on the test. That said, I have a couple of thoughts:

(1) the ambiguous referent for "which" seems to be cleared up by the use of "is" BUT,
(2) Since that's not how you want to clear up your reference, AND since E is technically correct,

I'd probably go with E. Of course, before going with E, I'd probably go off in search of a better question to study.
_________________
Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 13:39
daagh wrote:
I wish to refer to two or three aspects of this text.

In Choice B, what does the relative pronoun “which” stands for? It is supposed to refer to Englog, but I wonder whether it does. This ambiguity leaves room to doubt that it might well refer to Tagalog words. The intent of the passage is entirely changed then. This is the pitfall of B. By making it clear that the most commonly spoken form of Englog is Konyo English, E is unambiguous.

A semicolon is required to separate two independent and at the same time related clauses. E satisfies this condition too.



Dear Sir,

can you please tell me, People in Philipines will act as unit so it has to be singular right ? So i will choose option A as it is using correct modifier as well as "uses"(correct verb)
_________________
----------------------------------------
Hit the Kudos please :)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4717
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 06:49
Top Contributor
snehaluk

Quote:
Dear Sir,

can you please tell me, People in Philipines will act as a unit so it has to be singular right? So i will choose option A as it is using correct modifier as well as "uses"(correct verb)



People are plural. "In Philippines" is a prepositional middleman, which has no say the number of the subject.

I didn't get your point about Option A using the correct modifier. Which is the correct modifier in A and are the modifiers in other choices wrong? Could you kindly elaborate on my queries? Thanks.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 19:26
daagh wrote:
snehaluk

Quote:
Dear Sir,

can you please tell me, People in Philipines will act as a unit so it has to be singular right? So i will choose option A as it is using correct modifier as well as "uses"(correct verb)



People are plural. "In Philippines" is a prepositional middleman, which has no say the number of the subject.

I didn't get your point about Option A using the correct modifier. Which is the correct modifier in A and are the modifiers in other choices wrong? Could you kindly elaborate on my queries? Thanks.


I was confused for the correct verb, because people is singular as well as plural depends on the context where it is used (IMO), i thought 'people in Phillipines' will act as single unit, and the modifier i was referring to were (which,them) , cancel out B,C,D left with two options in hand A and E , i chose A over B because of above mentioned confusion in my mind.
Thanks for clearing my doubt .
GMAT Club Bot
Re: People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 19:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

People in the Philippines uses Englog, an informal type of English mer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.