GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 13:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (02:12) correct 36% (01:57) wrong based on 157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own houses. In the last two decades, the percentage of working population possessing their own homes has gone down. The primary reason is that while the average salary of the working population has increased fivefold in the last two decades, the average cost of a house has shot up ten times. Clearly, the government has not done enough to ensure that the citizens' salaries increase as per the increasing costs of houses.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A. In the two decades before the last two, the disparity between salary and housing prices was rising too.
B. The trend of rental accommodation has increased drastically in the last two decades, adding to the financial benefits of owning a house and thereby, increasing the cost of owning a house.
C. Most immigrants who entered the country in the last two decades have purchased their own houses.
D. The percentage of working people owning their own houses has declined more rapidly in the last decade than in the decade preceding this last.
E. The number of jobs in the country has gone up by fifty percent while the number of houses has gone up by forty percent in the last two decades.

Source: Experts Global

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 19:00
pushpitkc wrote:
People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own houses. In the last two decades, the percentage of working population possessing their own homes has gone down. The primary reason is that while the average salary of the working population has increased fivefold in the last two decades, the average cost of a house has shot up ten times. Clearly, the government has not done enough to ensure that the citizens' salaries increase as per the increasing costs of houses.

A. In the two decades before the last two, the disparity between salary and housing prices was rising too.
B. The trend of rental accommodation has increased drastically in the last two decades, adding to the financial benefits of owning a house and thereby, increasing the cost of owning a house.
C. Most immigrants who entered the country in the last two decades have purchased their own houses.
D. The percentage of working people owning their own houses has declined more rapidly in the last decade than in the decade preceding this last.
E. The number of jobs in the country has gone up by fifty percent while the number of houses has gone up by forty percent in the last two decades.

Option A,C & D are out of scope

Option B: Rental Accommodation trend upwards ----> increases financial benifit of owning house ---->increase cost of owning house .... but this donot talk about Govt measures

Option E: job increased 50% ( a clear outcome of +ve govt measures) AND housing increase 40%(could be a +ve govt measures) -- thus govt has done something but still the housing price is going up ( may be due to other factors of economics e.g., supply -demand). Hence the claim about the Govt's action in the argument weakens .
Ans Option E

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Math Expert
V
Re: People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 01:57
pushpitkc wrote:

Would not say it is a great question..
But in the given choices only B fits in....
There is a mismatch between the salary by govt and the coat of owning the house..
B states that the salary given by govt is further compounded by the increased rental, so the disparity shown between the income and expenditure may not hold.

Rest of the choices are nowhere close..

B

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 04:25
A, C and D can easily be eliminated.

E says jobs have increasedby 50%, while the number of houses have gone up by 40%....( It doesn't mean that increase in jobs has been done by government, they could be private jobs. Moreover, increase in jobs still does not resolve, because argument talks about salary). Thus, I eliminated E.

I chose B because it gives an alternative reason as to why the price of owning a house has increased and clearly reflects that government has no role to play over here.

Thus, I find B more appropriate.

OA ??

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 03:47
SonalSinha803 wrote:

E says jobs have increasedby 50%, while the number of houses have gone up by 40%....( It doesn't mean that increase in jobs has been done by government, they could be private jobs. Moreover, increase in jobs still does not resolve, because argument talks about salary). Thus, I eliminated E.

I chose B because it gives an alternative reason as to why the price of owning a house has increased and clearly reflects that government has no role to play over here.

OA ??

Hi,
Can you please help me understand this is how I looked at it and came up with E as the answer.

Conclusion is that Govt has not done enough.... to control the housing price rise.

Question asks us to Weaken it that would mean finding an answer that says Govt has done enough. How come B supports that?
If only it strengthens it saying Govt did not intervene to control the trend that caused increasing house prices.

Please help understanding.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
Schools: Queen's MBA'20
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.19

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 06:50
B rightly gives an explanation that why people are not buying house because renting that particular house is more beneficial than buying one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 23:16
getahead wrote:
SonalSinha803 wrote:

OA ??

Hi,
Can you please help me understand this is how I looked at it and came up with E as the answer.

Conclusion is that Govt has not done enough.... to control the housing price rise.

Question asks us to Weaken it that would mean finding an answer that says Govt has done enough. How come B supports that?
If only it strengthens it saying Govt did not intervene to control the trend that caused increasing house prices.

Please help understanding.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi !!

Option B is more appropriate because it gives you an alternative reason as to why the price of owning a house has increased.

On the other hand E says an increase in the job. So think....

1. Is the increase in job means that salary has also increased upto a level where house can be bought ??

2. Does it even specify that job increase is due to the role of government ??

Answer to both questions is a NO.

Thus, E is tempting but a trap.

On GMAT weaken question can be resolved when argument states X -->Y and you chose an option which says either -

(1) Y -->X

(2) X--/> Y ( X did not cause Y)

(3) Z --> Y ( an alternative reason as to why Y happened is Z and not X)

This question has option B correct and B is of the 3rd type.

Hope it helps

GMAT Club Bot
Re: People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 23:16

People of this country have been finding it difficult to buy their own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap