GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:28) correct 42% (01:40) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in large, bureaucratic societies. Therefore, people can find happiness, if at all, only in smaller political units such as villages.

The reasoning in the philosopher’s argument is flawed because the argument takes for granted that

(A) no one can ever be happy living in a society in which she or he is not intellectually well suited to live

(B) the primary purpose of small political units such as villages is to make people happy

(C) all societies that are plagued by excessive bureaucracy are large

(D) anyone who lives in a village or other small political unit that is not excessively bureaucratic can find happiness

(E) everyone is willing to live in villages or other small political units

B
Re: Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 02:46
the answer is A

We can find it easily by breaking down the argument logically:
Since people aren't intellectually well suited to live in cities, they must live elsewhere to be happy. This clearly assumes that being intellectually well suited and being happy are somehow equivalent, or at least that one leads to the other, such as (A) no one can ever be happy living in a society in which she or he is not intellectually well suited to live.

As always, another (less efficient) way to solve is by process of elimination:
(A) no one can ever be happy living in a society in which she or he is not intellectually well suited to live. - right, if this were the case then indeed it would follow that to be happy you must live out of the city. this is indeed assumed.

(B) the primary purpose of small political units such as villages is to make people happy not necessary - this doesn't have to be the intent in order for it to be the effect

(C) all societies that are plagued by excessive bureaucracy are large not quite - it seems that the opposite is assumed : all large societies are bureaucratic. it's perfectly possible that some small societies are also bureaucratic, but this still doesn't negate the claim that only small communities can lead to happiness.

(D) anyone who lives in a village or other small political unit that is not excessively bureaucratic can find happiness no - first od all, this is not assumed, it is close to what is argued. second, the argument in't necessarily about everyone

(E) everyone is willing to live in villages or other small political units nope, irrelevant - people may not be willing, the argument is merely that if they want to be happy, they should
Non-Human User
Re: Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 00:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 00:36

Philosopher: People are not intellectually well suited to live in larg

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics