GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Why Do YOU Need an MBA?

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Download Why MBA and learn how to determine your MBA goals and weave them into a compelling essay!

Planning for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Planning for MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 19:28
I have 2 years of work experience as a software developer. I am planning to take GMAT. I am planning to take time of around 10 months. Please help me how can I make my profile stronger in order to get in a good B school.
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Planning for MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 20:44
somey wrote:
I have 2 years of work experience as a software developer. I am planning to take GMAT. I am planning to take time of around 10 months. Please help me how can I make my profile stronger in order to get in a good B school.

Hey buddy,

It's great to hear that you are planning so early.
Regarding you question on how to make a stronger profile here are few things you can do in coming months :
1. Look for leadership-py roles/assignments at your work front
2. Try to quantify the impact of your work on the company's bottomline in terms of $$ or %
3. Quality Extracurriculars (again the focus should be on broader/overall impact)

Besides, I suggest you see profiles of current students and alums on linkedin to get more idea.

Hope that helps

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:18
Great advice above I would state that you want to look for cross-departmental cross-functional projects. Join Toastmasters. And get involved with a community organization in the leadership capacity. One that makes sense with your overall background and interest

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:25
somey wrote:

What can you do to improve your profile over the next years???

I would like to present you with a list of ideas, which should help you:

- Definitely do at least one if not real real volunteer works while you are working. The BEST possible volunteer work is anything that has to do with leadership or fundraising, so if you see those opportunities, jump on them!

- Make sure you do the best possible at work, taking any opportunities to lead, to get involved in social events, to advance at work, and remain at the top.

- Likewise try and keep up your life! What I mean is that schools LOVE candidates who have a broad range of activities and interests. So sports, culture, whatever. As always, if it is leadership roles you are taking on they are better than non-leadership roles.

- If you have any interest in entrepreneurship as a side project, it can be good to have that in your profile.

- If you have any interest in politics as a side project, it can be good to have that in your profile.

There are probably more things that I am not yet thinking about, but this is a very good place to start!

Overall things look promising. Right now we are too early to start getting into actual school evaluation, but this is a good start.

While you are at it, I would also suggest trying to visit the target schools, to attend events, and to learn about them as much as possible. This long-term work will pay off greatly when it comes time for you to apply.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 21:59
I am from India. I am very good at playing instruments especially drums. Please help me how can I use it as something useful in my profile.
Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 23:51
somey wrote:

Hi somey,

First things first, definitely try working towards as a high GMAT score as you can :)

Besides the above, here are a few things you could look at:

- Keep performing at work; try having more talking points in terms of cross-cultural achievements, people-centric roles, and quantifiable accolades.
- Look at joining social clubs such as Toastmasters.
- Involve yourself in social-activities that align with your interest and profile. Try taking up leadership roles in such activities.
- If you have some friends running a start-up (particularly in tech domain) see if you could take up some advisory position.

There are a plethora of things one can do. Whatever you eventually choose to do, take it up wholeheartedly and for a significant amount of time so you can have some quantifiable achievements to mention in your essays :)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Planning for MBA &nbs [#permalink] 28 Feb 2018, 23:51

Planning for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap