It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)
Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 15:34
Hi Alex,

I have asked for a profile evaluation on a separate thread, but I would like to get more opinions. Here's where I stand:

Personal background:

Male, 23, applying for 2012 intake.

Schools I'm targeting:

Booth, Sloan, Wharton, Kellogg, Ross.

Undergrad:

Transferred to University of Michigan from a Malaysian college. Graduated in 2009 with a B.Sc in Cellular and Molecular Biology, overall GPA 3.7.

GMAT:

Took it earlier in Feb, got a 730; Q50, V39.

WE1: College Pro Painters (2008)
- Started up and ran my own student painting company; briefly, I developed and executed my own marketing and sales, hired and managed a crew of 9, did my own accounting and finances, handled customer relations. Booked $90,000 of jobs and produced $70,000 (the remainder I had to hand over to another franchisee because school started).

WE2: Academic research for Umich medical school (2009-present)

- Oversee logistical and administrative needs for my PI's lab, for example managing inventory, OSHA compliance, and shipping of research samples to collaborators
- Trained 2 undergraduates in basic life science research to prepare them for their own projects, before handing them over to postdocs or graduate students for said projects
- Helped, as part of a team, expand our laboratory's operations by setting up an auxiliary location.
- Conducted my own life sciences research; so far I have completed one project, the product which will expand the range of experiments we can perform to further knowledge in our field.

Extracurricular activities:

- Student government (several): held director positions in 2 organizations, was VP in another.
- Charity Fundraising: for various organizations that approached my organizations for assistance.
- Church volunteer: helped out at services and at adult baptism classes.

Why MBA:

My career goal is a strategy+management position in the biotech/biomedical industry with a secondary role in entrepreneurial development; briefly, I am most passionate about identifying and developing novel life sciences research with medical significance into commercial products that are readily accessible to those who need it. My current job has given me insight into how research is conducted, and into the challenges and obstacles that researchers encounter. The next step for me will be to refine what business skills I picked up from my College Pro experience and potentially develop more of them, specifically in the three areas that I mentioned, which is where the MBA comes in.

Do you have any advice that I should keep in mind when applying? Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2011, 08:19
To be blunt, if you want to be more employable (with or without an MBA), you would be wise to get out of the university lab sooner than later. In other words, find a job in industry -- while I know that the job market sucks right now, you should still try and find any which way to get an industry job.

It's essential that you get full-time work experience in a corporate environment (which doesn't mean just big company experience, but even a startup or small company that has been funded by institutional investors and is run like a non-family business) - whether its at a biotech startup or at a large pharma (or whatever floats your boat).

Because right now, what many people will assume rightly or wrongly is that you're still very much a student. You graduated, and you're working in a university lab (the same university that you graduated from). You probably live in the same place as you did when you were a student, and your overall lifestyle and outlook hasn't really changed much now that you're in the lab. Whether that is true or not, that will be the perception, and one that will be very difficult to overcome.

Secondly, the student painting business tends to have a negative stigma -- some have had horrible reputations for exploiting students, aggressive door-to-door sales tactics, etc. While you may have had a great experience, just know that the student painting franchising businesses aren't seen in the best light, and you're not really going to help your candidacy by highlighting it when you're up against other folks who have had internships at banks, consulting firms, F500 companies, and so forth.

The biggest asset you have right now is that you're young and fresh out of school. You have a great chance now to build your career from the ground up.

Rather than think about b-school now (you're not ready at this point), focus on getting some solid full-time experience outside of the university environment for a few years before thinking about school. It'll be far better for your career in the medium to long-term.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2011, 11:35
Hey Alex,

Thank you for your feedback! It's not often that I get someone who is willing to be frank in their assessments.
Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 22 May 2011, 11:35

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap