Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 05:01 It is currently 11 May 2024, 05:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
loom wrote:
Quote:
loom,

1) You have an intriguing profile, some unusual stuff, so that works in your favor. I agree with you on your strengths, but not as much on your weaknesses. To me, the ones that matter are "Relatively young," "Lack of any significant leadership experience & accomplishments at work," and GMAT, assuming the 650 score you asked me to assume. (In my book you would be Singaporean, not Chinese, so that's a diversity asset.) I recommend that you compensate for the relative lack of workplace leadership/accomplishments by emphasizing your military experience.

2) I would re-categorize your schools (assuming 650):
1. "Big Longshot": Tuck
2. "Longshot-ish": North Carolina-KF, Emory, Georgetown
3. "Competitive": Notre Dame, Indiana-Kelley, Rochester
4. "Feel optimistic:" Ohio State, Babson, Boston C., South Carolina, Thunderbird, SMU Cox

Your goals are all over the lot, so it's hard to suggest other schools, but you might add Michigan State. I recommend zeroing in on one of those 3 goals.

3) Well, your list already includes top 20 schools, so, no doubt, a 680-720 GMAT would make some Top 20's doable for you, but Tuck would probably still remain a longshot. The crucial weakness to my eyes is that lack of leadership/impact in your current job. Because you are young, however, if you can ramp up your professional leadership over the next year, if you get dinged this year, you'll be a stronger applicant next.

Good luck,

Paul,

I'm very relieved to know there are aspects in my profile that make me marketable. I've been second guessing myself for the longest time. It's comforting to know there are strong programs within my grasp, even without a superhuman GMAT score. This has given me renewed motivation as I prep for the exam.

As for career choice, I think Management Consulting would be the most appropriate (might as well jump on the bandwagon!). Unless I'm mistaken, most of the major MC firms would have Operations and Brand Management teams. If I was hired by them, I could then work my way toward specializing in an area of interest. In the meantime, I will continue to look for "impact" opportunities at work, and try to see if I can sneak off to Namibia to spearhead a village irrigation project.

Paul, I'm very interested in a client-consultant relationship, but I think it makes sense to take the GMAT first, do you? I was planning on revisiting this post once I take the test (~1.5 - 2 months out), and we could go from there. But let me know what you think. Again, I appreciate the candor in your assessment, it was very helpful. Coming from an expert, it was also very encouraging.

Thanks!

loom,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The busy season is upon us. I'd be happy to work with you on a professional basis and agree that the GMAT is an essential first step to know what's realistic and what isn't. Shoot me an email at pbodine@accepted.com whenever you're ready to bring me into the picture.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
loom,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The busy season is upon us. I'd be happy to work with you on a professional basis and agree that the GMAT is an essential first step to know what's realistic and what isn't. Shoot me an email at pbodine@accepted.com whenever you're ready to bring me into the picture.

Good luck,

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. My GMAT prep is in full swing and I'll contact you as soon as I get a good score. By the way, I recently purchased your book "Great Application Essays for Business Schools", and I must say - it's a real page turner! I've already gone through the first couple chapters and began data mining my life. So far the process has been enriching and enjoyable.

Thanks again for the help, talk to you soon.

loom
Send PM
Expert Reply
loom wrote:
Quote:
loom,

Good luck,

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. My GMAT prep is in full swing and I'll contact you as soon as I get a good score. By the way, I recently purchased your book "Great Application Essays for Business Schools", and I must say - it's a real page turner! I've already gone through the first couple chapters and began data mining my life. So far the process has been enriching and enjoyable.

Thanks again for the help, talk to you soon.

loom

loom,

Wow, a "page-turner," thanks--me and Stephen King. :-) If you feel at all inclined to add a brief positive comment to my book's Amazon.com pageI would be eternally grateful.

Thanks again,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
loom,

Wow, a "page-turner," thanks--me and Stephen King. :-) If you feel at all inclined to add a brief positive comment to my book's Amazon.com pageI would be eternally grateful.

Thanks again,

Hi Paul:

My review has been submitted. Thanks again, and will email you once the GMAT dragon has been slayed.

Best,

loom
Send PM
Expert Reply
loom wrote:
Quote:
loom,

Thanks again,

Hi Paul:

My review has been submitted. Thanks again, and will email you once the GMAT dragon has been slayed.

Best,

loom

Thank you, sir.
GMAT Club Bot