It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 07:23

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate profile - NYU Stern Langone PT, 650 GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Schools: Stern (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
Please evaluate profile - NYU Stern Langone PT, 650 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 09:00
I am currently a 25 year old (26 by matriculation) American working at a top Investment Bank. I will only be applying to one school in May for Fall 2014 - NYU Stern Langone Part-Time Program. I'd like to know where I stand as a candidate.

1) 4 Years total work experience (overall promoted 2 job grades)
2) GMAT 650. Q42 V38.
3) Bachelor of Science in Finance.
4) Heavily Involved in 1 organization during college.
5) Post college extra-curriculars: various recruiting activity for work and still heavy involvement in organization mentioned above
6) Work will be helping finance my schooling, supervisors very supportive of me
7) short-term goals: advance rapidly in my current role
8) long-term goals: become business manager. want to pursue mba to develop business and managerial skills.

Dilemma is that the GMAT 80% range for NYU Langone PT program is 620-730. Though my score falls in that range, it is towards the lower end and it is below the median 680. Also the Quant score is lower than the Verbal score. I just took the test, so re-taking the test again before the May 15 deadline is not a possibility

I am really stressed out about this. Can someone please advise as to what my chances would be if I applied with my current GMAT score. Or would it be better to re-take and apply during the rolling admissions (after initial deadline)? Although not sure how much I can improve my score in that time.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by focus24 on 04 Sep 2014, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 3

Re: Please evaluate profile - NYU Stern Langone PT, 650 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 07:40
I can see why you are stressed. If you apply now, you run a serious risk of not standing out, particularly since you will be compared to other Asian-American applicants whose GMAT scores skew even higher than the ranges you are looking at. If you choose to apply later, there is obviously no guarantee you can raise your score and it also puts you in an even deeper pot of applicants. I think it's going to be important to get your score up if you want to be competitive, so I would say it's worth the marginal risk of rolling into the general pool if you can get a better score. I simply don't see you being competitive with your score given the quant performance, which is going to be very important. One thing you might want to do is to reach out to the admissions office there directly. Tell them it's the only school you are applying to and it's therefore very important. You will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful they will be in giving you guidance, as they can look out across the applicant pool and let you know how competitive you are vs. the real data (i.e. this year's applicant pool).

Bryant Michaels
Admissions Consultant

Current Student

Schools: Stern (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 08:10
Lets assume I can raise my score by maybe 30-40 points before the rolling admissions deadline...will those 30-40 points really be the difference maker in terms of whether or not I am accepted? I find that hard to believe. Unless it was a 50+ point improvement I didn't think the score itself would be the deciding factor in me not getting in. Obviously I am not as experienced as you so my thought process may be in the wrong direction. I figured I might as well apply by the May 15 deadline and take my chances because I don't think I'll be able to increase my score significantly (50+ points) before the rolling admissions deadline. If I don't get in then I can spend some more time to try and raise my score significantly and re-apply for Spring...that was my plan at this point..

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2014, 06:51
If I were you, I'd reach out to Stern and ask them that exact question. On one hand, PT programs are a bit more flexible on things like GMAT and GPA, since they do not have to submit those stats to the rankings boards for the part time programs (rankings are based on the full time programs). On the other hand, not only is your score a bit lower than they will want to see in general, in the Asian/Indian IT pool, it will be remarkably lower and at the end of the day, you are really only competing for a slot against others with a similar background as yours. For PT programs, the recommendations weigh in quite a bit as well as your personal interview, so I would say if you have those components in place, reach out to the adcom and express your concern and they will likely be able to guide you towards going ahead with an application or deferring for a higher GMAT score. They will have a feel for the applicant pool and will be able to give you the exact advice you need. I do know that international applications are up this year in general, so it might be a bit tougher than usual to get a slot. Make sure you tell them it's the only program you're applying to, since that will demonstrate a high level of passion and commitment for the program (which couldn't hurt). A 40 point increase should actually make a big difference, since it would put you above the average.

Bryant Michaels
Admissions Consultant

Please evaluate profile - NYU Stern Langone PT, 650 GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap