GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please help me understand ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
Please help me understand ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 15:51
1. What is the difference between identify the inferred idea and identify the stated idea in RC?
2. What type of question come under Analysis/Critique and what type of question come under Construction/Plan category? (CR)
3. What is the difference between Grammer and Communication?

Please help me. This is acting as a significant hurdle in my prep.

bb Can you help me or connect me with someone who can help me with this?
carcass
souvik101990
Attachments

Annotation 2019-11-09 041208.png
Annotation 2019-11-09 041208.png [ 214.18 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Please help me understand ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 10:13
Hi,
I hope EMPOWERgmatRichC can help you as soon as he gets time. Please send him PM and request.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 13:23
vyascd wrote:
1. What is the difference between identify the inferred idea and identify the stated idea in RC?

This refers to 'inference' questions versus 'detail' questions, generally. An inference question will ask for an answer that isn't explicitly stated in the passage: you have to use some logic to combine multiple ideas from the passage together, or to draw a logical conclusion from an idea in the passage. In a detail question, the right answer will pretty much be written explicitly in the passage, although it will probably use different wording.

I personally suspect, but don't know for sure, that general / 'main idea' questions are considered to be 'inferred idea' questions.

Quote:
2. What type of question come under Analysis/Critique and what type of question come under Construction/Plan category? (CR)

This refers mainly to the type of argument, not to the type of question. Some CR arguments are 'plan' arguments. In these, the argument presents you with a plan, and generally you're asked to show that the plan will or won't work, or to identify an assumption being made by the person proposing the plan. In non-plan arguments, nobody's proposing a plan - they're just trying to convince you that something is or isn't true. I'm not sure whether there's also a distinction between question types being made here. It seems more likely that you could get (for example) Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, etc. questions for either type of argument, so those might fall into either category.

Here's the GMAC's official description of the categories:

"The Critical Reasoning Analysis/Critique graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems in this category test your ability to analyze the information given to you in the passage and carefully make reasoned judgments demonstrated by evaluating and breaking down an argument."

"The Critical Reasoning Construction/Plan graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems identified in this category test your ability to use the information given in a passage to construct a plan of action for find the best logical solution."

Quote:
3. What is the difference between Grammer and Communication?

Grammar refers to problems that primarily test grammar rules (for instance, the rule that says you have to use a plural verb with a plural subject.)

Communication refers to problems that test meaning or logic issues. For instance, there's no rule that says you can't use the word 'wearing' to modify the subject 'student'. But, this sentence would be wrong on the GMAT anyways, since its meaning is illogical:

The student walked the dog, wearing a collar.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 15:07
Hi vyascd,

I'll be happy to review your ESR for you, but I would need to see the FULL ESR. If you would rather not post it publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me. In addition to that data, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 20:41
Hi Vyascd,

I’m happy to help, but it would be very helpful if we could see your full ESR, so we can see the bigger picture of what is going on with your GMAT. If you post your ESR here, I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help me understand ESR   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2019, 20:41

Please help me understand ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep