It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 13:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please review my profile. Thank you in advance.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Schools: HEC Sept'16 (A)
Please review my profile. Thank you in advance. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 10:48
To whom it may concern,

I hope I find you well.

I intend to apply for top-tier US business schools in 2 to 3 years' time and I would like your take on my profile as well as any and all recommendations/remarks you may have. Thank you very much in advance. :-)

Personal information
Male/Moroccan/28 y.o.
Will be 30/31 by matriculation.
Working on dual nationality.
First member of my family to go to a top-tier college both in Morocco and abroad.
First member of my family to go abroad for education.

Education
2014-2017: HEC Paris' Grande Ecole (flagship) program. Majored in finance.
ECTS GPA: 3.55 (major year). ECTS Overall GPA: 3.45 (upward trend)
Awarded "A" grade for master thesis and published on the Vernimmen (France's leading reference in finance) website.

2015 (3 months): Stanford University. Summer exchange.
U.S GPA: 3.75. Courses taken in finance and education.

2009 - 2012: Ecole Mohammadia d'Ingénieurs (top Moroccan engineering and military school). M.Eng in Industrial Engineering.
Moroccan GPA: 15.54/20 (WES equivalent: 4.0/4.0).
Reserve officer in the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces. Engineering Corps: 2nd lieutenant rank.

Test results
- TOEFL iBT: 119/120
- GMAT: 770 (will expire this year. I intend to retake it).

Professional experience
Multiple internships and two permanent contracts (I didn't go into too much detail for fear of making this post longer than necessary)
- Prior to HEC Paris:
6-month internship at Kea & Partners in Morocco despite not coming from a target school.
1-year permanent contract in a plastics manufacturing firm in Morocco.
- During HEC Paris gap year:
4-month internship in a boutique M&A/consulting firm alternating between Morocco and Dubai.
6-month internship at Amazon France (strategic and financial roles)
- Currently employed as a consultant at Capgemini Consulting (as of October 2017).

Leadership experience
- 4 years at ENACTUS (social entrepreneurship) both in Morocco and France
- 1 month as a volunteer at TEDxHEC Paris
- Founding member of the HEC Paris Business Game

Post-MBA goals
Following graduation - midterm horizon: Join McKinsey and gain further experience in strategy consulting with a focus on digital/tech, education and finance.
Longterm horizon: Start my own education firm in Morocco.

Targeted schools
In order of priority:
- Stanford GSB (I am aiming for the MBA/MA in Education program)
- HBS (can admission be jeopardised because of my age at matriculation? The word on the grapevine is that HBS adcoms frown on older applicants)
- INSEAD
- Cornell
- Booth

Last edited by BillNella89 on 08 Nov 2017, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 0

Re: Please review my profile. Thank you in advance. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there - thanks for writing! You have an intriguing background, with a diverse range of work experience, great academics, and good leadership involvement. Since you've had such a variety or roles/contracts, you'll want to make sure that you emphasize on your resume the impact/achievements you've had in each role, to show the school that you've had a track record of success despite relatively short tenures at some organizations.

To answer your question - HBS does not frown upon older applicants. For each program, you'll just want to make a strong case for why NOW is the right time for an MBA and why consulting. Stanford and HBS are obviously extremely competitive, but are not out of range for you as long as you make your professional impact (and intended future impact clear), and being from Morocco will help add diversity as well. The other schools you have listed are more within reach, but make sure to emphasize why each program is the right one for you professionally and personally.

Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to respond with any other specific questions :)

BillNella89 wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I hope I find you well.

I intend to apply for top-tier US business schools in 2 to 3 years' time and I would like your take on my profile as well as any and all recommendations/remarks you may have. Thank you very much in advance. :-)

Personal information
Male/Moroccan/28 y.o.
Will be 30/31 by matriculation.
Working on dual nationality.
First member of my family to go to a top-tier college both in Morocco and abroad.
First member of my family to go abroad for education.

Education
2014-2017: HEC Paris' Grande Ecole (flagship) program. Majored in finance.
ECTS GPA: 3.55 (major year). ECTS Overall GPA: 3.45 (upward trend)
Awarded "A" grade for master thesis and published on the Vernimmen (France's leading reference in finance) website.

2015 (3 months): Stanford University. Summer exchange.
U.S GPA: 3.75. Courses taken in finance and education.

2009 - 2012: Ecole Mohammadia d'Ingénieurs (top Moroccan engineering and military school). M.Eng in Industrial Engineering.
Moroccan GPA: 13.88/20 (WES equivalent: 4.0/4.0).
Reserve officer in the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces. Engineering Corps: 2nd lieutenant rank.

Test results
- TOEFL iBT: 119/120
- GMAT: 770 (will expire this year. I intend to retake it).

Professional experience
Multiple internships and two permanent contracts (I didn't go into too much detail for fear of making this post longer than necessary)
- Prior to HEC Paris:
6-month internship at Kea & Partners in Morocco despite not coming from a target school.
1-year permanent contract in a plastics manufacturing firm in Morocco.
- During HEC Paris gap year:
4-month internship in a boutique M&A/consulting firm alternating between Morocco and Dubai.
6-month internship at Amazon France (strategic and financial roles)
- Currently employed as a consultant at Capgemini Consulting (as of October 2017).

Leadership experience
- 4 years at ENACTUS (social entrepreneurship) both in Morocco and France
- 1 month as a volunteer at TEDxHEC Paris
- Founding member of the HEC Paris Business Game

Post-MBA goals
Following graduation - midterm horizon: Join McKinsey and gain further experience in strategy consulting with a focus on digital/tech, education and finance.
Longterm horizon: Start my own education firm in Morocco.

Targeted schools
In order of priority:
- Stanford GSB (I am aiming for the MBA/MA in Education program)
- HBS (can admission be jeopardised because of my age at matriculation? The word on the grapevine is that HBS adcoms frown on older applicants)
- INSEAD
- Cornell
- Booth

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: HEC Sept'16 (A)
Re: Please review my profile. Thank you in advance. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 00:57
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi there - thanks for writing! You have an intriguing background, with a diverse range of work experience, great academics, and good leadership involvement. Since you've had such a variety or roles/contracts, you'll want to make sure that you emphasize on your resume the impact/achievements you've had in each role, to show the school that you've had a track record of success despite relatively short tenures at some organizations.

To answer your question - HBS does not frown upon older applicants. For each program, you'll just want to make a strong case for why NOW is the right time for an MBA and why consulting. Stanford and HBS are obviously extremely competitive, but are not out of range for you as long as you make your professional impact (and intended future impact clear), and being from Morocco will help add diversity as well. The other schools you have listed are more within reach, but make sure to emphasize why each program is the right one for you professionally and personally.

Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to respond with any other specific questions :)

Hi Nisha.

Thank you very much for the feedback, it's really encouraging to see that I have a shot at all my targeted schools provided, of course, that I tackle the finer points of my application properly and completely.

That being said, I do have a question regarding your point on emphasizing the professional impact that I've made at the various companies I've worked for as well as providing a justification to why I've had so many positions to begin with.

To provide some context, regarding the latter point:
- Prior to joining HEC Paris, I wanted to test two industries I was interested in working in: consulting and manufacturing. Hence, the two experiences. My stint in consulting was short mainly because of HR reasons since the home office in France recruited exclusively from target schools and my first school did not fit the bill, so I was only given an internship. (In time and as of 2016, my first school became a target school for consulting firms as evidenced by a surge in recruitment by McKinsey Morocco of recent grads there).
- Furthermore, it was also done as part of my preparation for my HEC MiM application. After joining HEC, the program offers students the possibility of taking a gap year to gain additional experience before graduating. I applied to McKinsey and Bain and failed their interviews (mainly because of a lack of preparation and huge conceit and arrogance on my end) so I tailored my gap year to tackle all the points on the feedback they've given me, hence me applying for M&A and Amazon because of their highly demanding, strategic and quantitative natures.
- Finally, it was also an opportunity for me to give my profile an international dimension since, up until 2014, I worked exclusively in Morocco.

Regarding the former point, should all of this be apparent on my resume or in the essays that I will be writing for the schools? To be honest, I am worried that, by doing so, I'll be sending a bloated resume that can be confused as an "unstructured novel" and I'd have gone beyond the recommended word count for the essays and not answer the schools' essay questions properly.

What is your take on this? Please and thank you. :-)

Please review my profile. Thank you in advance.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap