It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plz analyse the goal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
Plz analyse the goal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 04:52
Hi guys,

I have 4 yrs WE in finance and auditing. Then I shifted to marketing working as a consultant for an start-up doing app and website development. I have 1.5 yrs WE as marketing consultant.

Short term goal- to be a brand manager in retail/cpg industry
Long term goal- marketing director of a fortune 500 company belonging to retail/cpg industry

My questions are:

1. While writing goals essay should I specify that I want to be a brand manager in so and so industry or can I skip the industry and directly write the name of companies which recruit from college
2. Is my goal reasonable sounding?
3. Can i mention both retail/cpg

Thanks in advance

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: Plz analyse the goal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 09:15
Hi there,

I believe I answered your question in the "B-School Application" forum but here it is again for your reference.

Hi there,

Great questions! When it comes to articulating your goals, you want to balance specificity with flexibility. By that I mean that it’s great that you know exactly what you want to do (the adcom is looking for that) but you don’t want to appear too narrow or inflexible which could then make the adcom question if you’ll be unemployed if “plan A” doesn’t work out. So in your case, specifying the role and industry is great and you could also include a couple of companies as examples – i.e. brand manager at a CPG company such as Unilever or Mondelez.

I’m the co-founder of an admissions consulting firm now but prior to joining that venture full-time, I was a brand manager at a large beauty company (take a wild guess which one!), so here are a few more tips from my experience:
- CPG and retail are different industries. CPG companies are manufacturers and are typically marketing-driven organizations. Retail companies specialize in delivering products to the end-consumer and are retail-driven organizations (think merchandising, planning, buying, etc.) Some CPG companies do have retail operations (i.e. L’Oreal owns Kiehl’s which sells direct to consumers) and some retailers also manufacture (i.e. J. Crew) but you get the idea. My point is that I suggest picking one or the other as you articulate your goals. If you’re truly open to both, then that’s OK too, but I would make it clear that you know these are two different things.
- I would double check the title in your LT goal. In many companies, the title “marketing director” is only one or two levels above “manager”. I would encourage you to aim higher or at least provide a bit more detail behind what you expect to do/accomplish as a marketing director so it’s clear what your vision is.
- Whether you go with CPG, retail, or both, what will be even more important than the goal itself is the “why” behind it and what you hope to achieve. Why are you passionate about brands? How do you see yourself making an impact? Or is it more about a sub-segment of the CPG industry – personal care, food, beauty, etc.?

To answer your final question, I see nothing in the information you provided that would lead me to believe that your goal is not realistic. Your job in your essays, though, will be to clearly and succinctly explain how your goals relate to your past experience and again, what’s driving you in your pursuit of your goals. (I actually faced this same challenge when I applied to business school as I had been working in investment banking for 5 years and was looking to move into brand management. Luckily, I was able to connect those dots through my essays and interviews.)

I hope this was helpful! Best of luck to you! If you’d like to chat more about all of this, please feel free to reach out.

Best,
Melody

P.S. Here's a helpful summary of the MBA recruiting landscape for brand management if you’d like to check it out: MBA CAREER SPOTLIGHT ON: Brand Management

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
Plz analyse the goal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 09:36
Thanks Melody for your detailed reply. Was it L'Oreal?

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
S

Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: Plz analyse the goal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 13:54
You're welcome! Did you look me up on LinkedIn? Just kidding, and yes it was.

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Re: Plz analyse the goal   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2017, 13:54