GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 262
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 22:00
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:00) correct 26% (02:20) wrong based on 166 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, bridge and public transportation projects. This bill includes significant reforms to modernize federal transportation programs, it introduces performance measures and targets to improve accountability, it expands innovative financing programs to leverage limited federal resources, and it consolidates programs by two-thirds to increase efficiency and flexibility for states and cities. Consequently, our citizens can expect a noticeable improvement in our nation's transportation infrastructure.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether the impact from the new legislation would be noticeable to the public?

A) Will the legislation actually increase the amount of financing that "transportation alternative" projects such as bicycle and pedestrian pathways receive?

B) Will the new projects in the bill be of a sizable scale for the public to reasonably detect its impact?

C) Will the bill comply with environmental laws and federal permitting requirements?

D) Will the new projects help improve transportation management by local governments, including states and municipalities?

E) Will the new projects be likely to run over budget?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 03:38
Why Not E? As paragraph says about leveraging financial resources...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 322
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 03:50
Why not D? Need some expert reply.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

examPAL Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Mar 2017
Posts: 117
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 04:09
1
This question is a good example of a lot of information confusing us from what is a simple claim, and of many answers being technically correct - but not answering the question we were asked.
The question is - what will help us find out if the impact from the new legislation will be noticeable to the public?
Therefore, we are looking for an answer which tells us that the scale of the project is big enough to notice - exactly what B asks. D and E are perhaps interesting and important in their own right, but not directly related to the question of notice-ability.

Another way to solve is USE THE ANSWERS:
A) Will the legislation actually increase the amount of financing that "transportation alternative" projects such as bicycle and pedestrian pathways receive? alternative projects are by no means the only way the project will be noticeable

B) Will the new projects in the bill be of a sizable scale for the public to reasonably detect its impact? Knowing the answer to this will directly tell us if the project's impact will be noticed

C) Will the bill comply with environmental laws and federal permitting requirements? Important, but not to the questions of notice-ability

D) Will the new projects help improve transportation management by local governments, including states and municipalities? improved management is not a sure indicator of having a noticeable impact

E) Will the new projects be likely to run over budget? Important, but not to the questions of notice-ability
_________________

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image
Image

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1710
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 04:11
2
Sasindran wrote:
Why not D? Need some expert reply.

Posted from my mobile device


"help improve transportation management" is the main idea of D -> out of scope.
Also, " local governments" is nowhere in the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 322
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 04:11
DAVEexamPAL wrote:
This question is a good example of a lot of information confusing us from what is a simple claim, and of many answers being technically correct - but not answering the question we were asked.
The question is - what will help us find out if the impact from the new legislation will be noticeable to the public?
Therefore, we are looking for an answer which tells us that the scale of the project is big enough to notice - exactly what B asks. D and E are perhaps interesting and important in their own right, but not directly related to the question of notice-ability.

Another way to solve is USE THE ANSWERS:
A) Will the legislation actually increase the amount of financing that "transportation alternative" projects such as bicycle and pedestrian pathways receive? alternative projects are by no means the only way the project will be noticeable

B) Will the new projects in the bill be of a sizable scale for the public to reasonably detect its impact? Knowing the answer to this will directly tell us if the project's impact will be noticed

C) Will the bill comply with environmental laws and federal permitting requirements? Important, but not to the questions of notice-ability

D) Will the new projects help improve transportation management by local governments, including states and municipalities? improved management is not a sure indicator of having a noticeable impact

E) Will the new projects be likely to run over budget? Important, but not to the questions of notice-ability


I ended up with B and D. But missed the word management in D.

Thanks for your reply


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 322
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 04:17
chesstitans wrote:
Sasindran wrote:
Why not D? Need some expert reply.

Posted from my mobile device


"help improve transportation management" is the main idea of D -> out of scope.
Also, " local governments" is nowhere in the argument.

Yeah I just understood my mistake. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 240
Location: United States (ID)
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 11:47
If in E, the question states that since the project runs over the budget, it cannot be complete. Then, E may be the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid &nbs [#permalink] 03 Feb 2018, 11:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Politician: The surface transportation bill will finance highway, brid

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.