GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

ROTMAN VS ESADE

  • 65% [13]
  • 35% [7]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

ESADE   Rotman   
 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Location: Colombia
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.3
POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 14:46
Hello everyone,

I would love to have some advice in this lucky yet difficult situation I have.

I've been admitted to both Rotman MBA and ESADE MBA for this fall.

I've highlited the main points for both schools:


Rotman
-Strong in Finance (my desired track)
-15k CAD scholarship. I would have to pay around 80k USD
-3 Year Work Permit in Canada
-Arguably the best Business School in Canada- plus Toronto Univeristy name.
-Global ranking not so impressive.
-3-moth report shows only 85% of employment.


ESADE
-Entrepreneurship-General focus MBA
-10k EURO scholarship. I would have to pay around 65k USD (Cheaper)
-NO Work Permit-I would have 3 months to secure an spornsorship or return to my country.
-Second-third best Business School in Spain-No University prestige.
-Global ranking is impressive.
-3-moth report shows 90% of employment.
-Barcelona is a dream city.
-Spanish is my first language


As I said my desired track is going to be Finance. I'll have to repay a huge debt so securing a job is important to me.


Thank you!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17680
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 17:18
Congrats on your admits!

Are you doing the 18 month ESADE MBA?


I would start networking ASAP (if you have not already as a part of your application process) and connecting with as many students and alums as you can. You will get the most accurate picture from them vs. the job reports - there are many ways to fudge the numbers on the employment reports (they only reflect so much reality).
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Location: Colombia
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.3
Re: POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 20:34
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!

Are you doing the 18 month ESADE MBA?


I would start networking ASAP (if you have not already as a part of your application process) and connecting with as many students and alums as you can. You will get the most accurate picture from them vs. the job reports - there are many ways to fudge the numbers on the employment reports (they only reflect so much reality).



Thank you!

Yes, I would go for the 18 month option in the ESADE scenario.

Indeed, I've been told that a potential explanation for the "low" numbers in Canada is related to the migratory rules. supposedly, with the 3 years work permit, graduates don't feel the rush for securing a job immediately. They can wait freely and actually the 6-month report shows 90% of employment. Plus, U-Toronto's research strength attracts some of the graduates.

On the other hand, high numbers may suggest graduates are rushed to secure jobs, either in the desired country or by returning to the home-country.


I'm a bit inclined towards Rotman at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure of the decision. I want to pursue a job in Finance with no previous experience and I've heard that the Canadian market prefers experience over an MBA.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17680
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 21:17
LOL. Not rushed to take jobs? That's the biggest pile of horse doodoo that I have heard about graduates not being rushed to take a job. That's someone trying to cover up for crappy recruiting numbers. I mean, everyone loves Ramen Noodles and being a poor student and not being rushed to take a job, right?

The reality is that once you get through your first year, you are getting old of the poverty. It hits esp hard during the summer between first and second years as that is a Looong semester.

You have heard correctly - Canada prefers experience to just an education and you can't fault them for that either. I would not hire someone who thinks they want to be a financial analyst and someone who has not made the mistakes - I don't want them learning at my expense. Another thing with Canada is that there has been an influx of students and highly qualified applicants who chose to pursue their MBA outside of the United States. Canada got a big bump, which would make life a bit harder for career switchers to compete for the best opportunities. In addition, Canada does not pay as well, but the plus side is that citizenship is not hard to get, or at least is easier than the US Citizenship.

P.S. I don't think Spain's economy is that great but you do have the benefit of speaking Spanish which will give you a bit of a leg up on all the other international students but I think 3 month OPT is just too risky. I have seen it taking people until January to find a decent position/job. I am afraid I don't know enough about Spain and perhaps the job market is much more amazing than that, but I would also be leaning towards Rotman - top program in Canada and even though it is a small pond, you would be a big fish there... even if you have to compete with your classmates.

Good Luck!
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Location: Colombia
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.3
Re: POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 10:37
bb wrote:
LOL. Not rushed to take jobs? That's the biggest pile of horse doodoo that I have heard about graduates not being rushed to take a job. That's someone trying to cover up for crappy recruiting numbers. I mean, everyone loves Ramen Noodles and being a poor student and not being rushed to take a job, right?

The reality is that once you get through your first year, you are getting old of the poverty. It hits esp hard during the summer between first and second years as that is a Looong semester.

You have heard correctly - Canada prefers experience to just an education and you can't fault them for that either. I would not hire someone who thinks they want to be a financial analyst and someone who has not made the mistakes - I don't want them learning at my expense. Another thing with Canada is that there has been an influx of students and highly qualified applicants who chose to pursue their MBA outside of the United States. Canada got a big bump, which would make life a bit harder for career switchers to compete for the best opportunities. In addition, Canada does not pay as well, but the plus side is that citizenship is not hard to get, or at least is easier than the US Citizenship.

P.S. I don't think Spain's economy is that great but you do have the benefit of speaking Spanish which will give you a bit of a leg up on all the other international students but I think 3 month OPT is just too risky. I have seen it taking people until January to find a decent position/job. I am afraid I don't know enough about Spain and perhaps the job market is much more amazing than that, but I would also be leaning towards Rotman - top program in Canada and even though it is a small pond, you would be a big fish there... even if you have to compete with your classmates.

Good Luck!



Thank you for the analysis! Wish I get lucky in the recruitmen haha :(


The explanation felt a bit weird for me as well...It‘s difficult to buy such a thing. However, I remember seeing some statistics showing that over 80% of Rotman MBA graduates stay in Canada... So it seems like there’s a real chance to work in Canada, which helps to pay the debt in the same currency of the school’s location.

On the other side, I can recall seeing that only 36% of Non-Europeans are able to secure a job in Europe in the 3-month period. Not sure if that means that the other 64% aren’t able or that they have no interest in Europe.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17680
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 11:03
Quote:
On the other side, I can recall seeing that only 36% of Non-Europeans are able to secure a job in Europe in the 3-month period. Not sure if that means that the other 64% aren’t able or that they have no interest in Europe.


I’m not sure that the true reason really matters... it likely indicates that they were not able to find employment in Europe that was better than options elsewhere. It could mean that they did not get good options or that the options they received weren’t as good as what they could get elsewhere or perhaps if they got nothing at all. It’s not essential really which of these is the most likely scenario, as it poorly reflects on opportunities in southern Europe.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
GMAT Club Bot
POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 11:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

POLL Rotman Vs ESADE- Where to enroll?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste



cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne